Delayed gratification

More
5 years 10 months ago #321888 by MadHatter
I got a submission from Knight Slydogstags via the FB page that he wanted to share
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DmUM7MW7s

How do you feel about the test? Do you feel its accurate? Is delaying gratification useful? Are there downsides?

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Carlos.Martinez3, thomaswfaulkner

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #321890 by thomaswfaulkner
Those are a lot of questions. For me, I think understanding the context of what we mean by the word success is important to how we process this results of the marshmallow test. Delayed gratification is a tool that can be learned and implemented into our daily routines to shift how we seek rewards for action, but it alone I don't think is indicative of success. I also feel that over-reliance on this tool is damaging to an individual's healthy development. I'm working with an individual who is willing to sacrifice his own personal care, hobbies, interpersonal relationships, and his obligation to his employer on the bet that his music career will take care of him in the longer run.

The hustle while you can philosophy is what he calls it. We all have to sacrifice some of our freedoms to allow things we want to manifest, but it's important to draw that line while still maintaining some balance.

I'm on my phone now but I'm willing to expand on these thoughts later. But this is good to start the conversation. How do you define success?

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadHatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #321895 by
Replied by on topic Delayed gratification

MadHatter wrote: How do you feel about the test? Do you feel its accurate? Is delaying gratification useful? Are there downsides?

I'm strongly for it. I think, specifically with this upcoming generation (which includes my own to a degree), that instant gratification is becoming all too common. It is not uncommon to see these people struggling to grow because they want results now, not tomorrow, not the next day, and definitely not months if not years down the road. To teach this at an early age is key to ensuring a child's success in life. They need to know that they reap what they sow, and sometimes they have to put in work to get greater rewards.

More
5 years 10 months ago #321936 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Delayed gratification
It's an important skill for sure, and something which seems to go against our nature a little. Probably from when we didn't have enough food and water etc, so we had to remind ourselves to want it else we'd not get enough when we needed it, just because there wasn't much of it.

So us a fundamental mechanism of being, we gotta watch out how our perceptions of identity feed off it, things like consumerism and addictions become like nested psychological and physical process of emotional regulation which viewed in the context of the whole body and its place in society tend to be more negative then positive!

Economically its vital, having the capability to buy something should not equate with the acquisition of it - rather acquisition should be done for other reasons then simply 'grabbing it' when you can... whether you want to make money from it, or use it for something of value that has some real relationship to its cost.

Another thing to consider along these lines is, the dangers of under estimating or over estimating oneself, and how these reinforce expectations on others and oneself..

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadHatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #321939 by
Replied by on topic Delayed gratification
Here is one of my favourite examples of delayed gratification:

Primitive Technology -- Tiled Roof Hut (Volume recommended, really nice to listen to)

Beyond the fact that just watching this put me in a meditative stupor, he has to do so much work to get anything. What I enjoy is the fact he makes everything by hand. He goes in with nothing more than a camera and the clothes on his back (or, I guess, legs). He makes the fire by hand, instead of using a lighter, using good ol' fashioned sticks and friction. He collects and mixes the clay and mud. He heat treats them. He slowly stacks each individual one.

The end result speaks for itself, and is something to be proud of, despite it being a mud house. I think many people can learn something by watching this guy.

More
5 years 10 months ago #321943 by Carlos.Martinez3
Thank you Ari, me and the son just watched that togeather . I feel the satisfaction strangely enough myself. Force be with you !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, MadHatter,

More
5 years 10 months ago #321979 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Delayed gratification
Short answer? Yes.

Long answer: Delayed gratification has been shown through numerous studies to be a powerful predictor of future life struggles and successes when observed from a young age. Moreover, it can certainly be learned later in life, though that seems to be incrementally harder.

Anyway, I like Michio. I've been listening to him my whole life on the radio. I will say, that I'm always looking for what concerns me when it comes to videos like this. I wouldn't, personally, put too much of the weight of gratification issues on the generation itself, or the individuals, but rather the society which fosters that sort of thinking -- just my two cents -- but I do think that, for anyone, the benefits are obvious. There's just a danger that it can become a response of "well, if the poor people just handled their money better they'd be okay" if someone wasn't looking close enough at all the implications not touched on really in this video.

The Marshmallow experiments are fascinating, though.

Also, I totally got absorbed by the hut-building video. That was wonderful!

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi