What does "authenticity" mean to you?

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #319325 by Carlos.Martinez3
I can only give you examples from own path. Any attempt to give any one else's will be futile .
I have a way of washing dishes . I was raised by a cook. I later went to chief school - culinary arts in Austin Tx ( The Art Institute in Austin TX) I was taught to clean as I go. In later took some on line courses and went to the chief schools in a few states . Fun for me ! Any how ... over the course of time ... as I learned and studied I came across ol Julia Child's . I ate her up like a molten lava cake after a swim... ( joke) any how she has a softener take on cooking ... and cleaning - she strays from the mass bulk of the ideas and takes a more personal hand touching approach to everything. Your cuts can be more - different if your cooking for family . You can add flair to your mirepoix ... some say only celery and carrots and onions - some say red onions with red carrots and celery - some say was as you go some say use a scully and some say wash by hand .

My wife likes to use the dish washer - I was born with two- in my kitchen is there a double standard to getting things done some say and I say - hungry , I got the dishes - it's one of the main reasons my friends invite me over to eat!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Locksley

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 weeks ago #319339 by
To me, it seems to be about shedding layers. I don't know what "authenticity" is; what I'm describing is becoming more authentic.
I'm not even entirely sure what all the layers are; but a lot of them seem to be linked in some way be being "right" or "strong" :laugh:
It's not always a comfortable process; but so far I've not been unhappy with the results.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #319571 by
I'm understanding authenticity in terms of personal identity which is intimately tied into the notion of time and change.

Who is it who is authentic or inauthentic? How can we be anything other than what we are right now?

There is a notion of a "true-self" but I currently reject this notion, because what we are is subject to change, there is no core, no soul, no mind which resides within us, we are the compononents we're made from as unexpected and wondrous an arrangement that might be. Things follow on from one-another, patterns to life that form over time, if one lets go of a pen then in the next moment of time one expects it to fall, similarly if one starts cooking then in the next few moments one'll eat, if one goes to work one day then in the next few days one'll expect to go to work, if one goes to a website and learns about philosophy then in the next moments that philosophy will shape patterns afterwards whether it's adoption, consideration or rejection etc. These patterns intermingle and change constantly with one's environment, but one is never "apart" from one's envrionment; one cannot remove oneself from the universe.

How can one be authentic when one cannot be anything other than what one is right now? Maybe one can be authentic to an idea, not being hypocritical, if one holds some conviction one doesn't abandon it on a whim, but similarly even the most well-informed convictions are only ever the result of what has come before, the wisest options are momentary, the best convictions then won't necessarily be the best convictions now. Perhaps abaondoning a conviction on a whim is inauthentic and hypocritical, but then perhaps such a thing wouldn't be a conviction to begin with? Perhaps being whimsical is another conviction?

It seems to me that truth, authenticity, fakness, is momentary and only understood in light of what's happened before, of the patterns, memories, experiences, chemical processes which shape our thoughts before during and after the notion of "authenticity" may be applied.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #319687 by Adder
A system is usually governed by something which defines it as a system, and so in that coordinated system of parts being authentic could be the measure of each parts association to the governed task, identity, or nature etc. As a 'parts capacity to be representative of the whole'.
And so if that were to be 'personal identity', then viewing self as being 'of parts' means associating some concept of identity (as person) somewhere in relation to that system.... and IMO it cannot be 'the system' since consciousness does not seem to govern all parts of a humans system. So as an interconnected attribute of all things within that system, then it logically stands to reason it will be also unknowable by something within that system - much like the Force perhaps. The doctrine talks about many things which I think support the notion of developing better authenticity by making decisions seen as 'parts' of a system of 'being'.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #319692 by
Regarding personal identity, to me, authenticity means living as your authentic self, regardless of criticism for not meeting expectations. To me, it means disregarding the status quo for your own peace of mind.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #319720 by
Being true to yourself. It is the foundation to everything in your life.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #319732 by
Authenticity means the quality of being authentic. Which authentic's definition is of undisputed origins. In other words genuine. So in short the quality of you being genuine is authenticity.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #319776 by

Rickie wrote: Being true to yourself. It is the foundation to everything in your life.

TopHat wrote: Authenticity means the quality of being authentic. Which authentic's definition is of undisputed origins. In other words genuine. So in short the quality of you being genuine is authenticity.

What do either of those mean?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #319779 by
First, a couple relevant quotes...

“Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.” – Marcus Aurelius

“Even though alone in a dark room, be as if you were facing a noble guest. Express your feelings, but become no more expressive than your true nature.” - Zengetsu, a Chinese master of the T'ang dynasty

I agree that genuine is often a more useful term than authentic, in that to be authentic, one has to be seen as "real" in the eyes of others, but to be genuine is to be real in your own eyes.

My opinion about the importance of being genuine changed greatly when I found myself thrown into a battle with a debilitating and possibly fatal disease. Suddenly being naked and poked and prodded by complete strangers isn't so embarrassing when my very life is on the line. Sharing my needs and my pain and my fear in a genuine way became a requirement for my very survival.

Rather than ramble on in this thread, here's a sermon I shared on being genuine.

On Being Genuine

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 weeks ago #319780 by

Senan wrote: My opinion about the importance of being genuine changed greatly when I found myself thrown into a battle with a debilitating and possibly fatal disease.

I know you and I have discussed this before but what exactly was it that changed for you when you were faced with that sort of imminent mortality? You have faced something that we will all face one day. It may not come until our actual death or it may come early in life with a life and death experience.

I wonder how it changed your priorities or what you find important in life? Things like that new car we wanted to buy now turns from that material pursuit to a deeper one in which you want to find financial independence not only for yourself but your family. In this you can get that new car if you desire but also do anything else you want including providing for loved ones.

I think that people that never have those brushes with death run the risk of spending their entire lives not being as genuine to themselves as they could be because of fear or peer pressures or social expectations. How do you view those things according to your experience?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi