Thoughts on Jediism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309704 by
Replied by on topic Thoughts on Jediism
What I found is that Jediism is a one-sided coin. When Jediism is mentioned, the talk is always about the Jedi. The light side of the Force. What rarely is mentioned are the followers of the alternative path. The darksiders or even the grey ones. There are no one-sided coins, mind you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #309705 by

Elson Qyn wrote: What I found is that Jediism is a one-sided coin. When Jediism is mentioned, the talk is always about the Jedi. The light side of the Force. What rarely is mentioned are the followers of the alternative path. The darksiders or even the grey ones. There are no one-sided coins, mind you.

Lol yeah. Sorta goes with the name tho. ;) But there are many Grey Jedi here, even a few Sith. I'm sure they'll voice their opinions on the questions presented if they feel it needed. ;) (Potentium Grey here)

Where do you find yourself on the Force spectrum? And what is your take on the questions presented?
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .

More
6 years 4 months ago #309706 by Carlos.Martinez3

Elson Qyn wrote: What I found is that Jediism is a one-sided coin. When Jediism is mentioned, the talk is always about the Jedi. The light side of the Force. What rarely is mentioned are the followers of the alternative path. The darksiders or even the grey ones. There are no one-sided coins, mind you.

Look around and ask here friend and you will find more than one way one side more than one practice and more than one definition of Jedi ism!

Feel free to look up in the clergy section as well as my little block
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Clergy/115769-the-block
Feel free to join ask or just read up on things! Happy seeking !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
6 years 4 months ago #309710 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Thoughts on Jediism
I have only read and answered the OP:

--
1. Could the Jedi as a whole eventually codify a uniform philosophy and ethics?

Well I am on the fence here. We are talking about a group of individuals which spans the globe and which extends over quite a few sites, orders, academies and groups. What it means to be a Jedi for each group is going to be different, and even in the temple, even among Knights and Masters, we cannot agree on philosophy and/or ethics. In thinking about it, its something worthy to strive for (a uniform philosophy and ethics, I mean), but we will all color outside of the lines from time to time. I think the best thing that we have right now is our doctrine which includes the Code, Creed, 16 teachings and 21 Maxims. Even sometimes I fall short in keeping up to that, but its an ideal worth striving for

2. If Jediism transcends far beyond our fictional "counterparts" in the minds of mainstream society, do you see some Jedi advising world leaders?

Certainly a possibility, even now, not in the same way that fictional Jedi did it mind you, but I personally participate in local politics within my community as a member of the town council. I recommend all those with time and inclination to get involved in some sort of similar work

3. If so would this be a "good" thing? The answer to this third question may very well hinge upon the hypothetical unified philosophy of a hypothetical future Jedi religion. Will we remain a group of eclectic seekers?

Having a Jedi advisor would be no different than having a non-Jedi advisor. Whether it is “good” or not will depend on those individuals doing the advising. I don’t think it’s all that bad to remain a group of eclectic seekers. There is something to be said about universal appeal, and perhaps it is that you aren’t doing/giving people anything different.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, Zenchi

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #309814 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Thoughts on Jediism
1. Could the Jedi as a whole eventually codify a uniform philosophy and ethics?

I think it has to, otherwise the label dilutes to being almost meaningless (in this context). But only in part, the core of the Jedi, but not be too rigid to avoid change or too ambitious to exceed what is realistic to being an individual being in individual circumstances.

2. If Jediism transcends far beyond our fictional "counterparts" in the minds of mainstream society, do you see some Jedi advising world leaders?

Having some actual unified foundation could lead to some unified result (even if the methods are diverse), which as a 'product' could serve some external system that had a need for it. It would fit in with the fiction, and the shared philosophy of many Jedi, yes.

3. If so would this be a "good" thing?

Depends on the quality of advice :D

The answer to this third question may very well hinge upon the hypothetical unified philosophy of a hypothetical future Jedi religion. Will we remain a group of eclectic seekers?

Progress is individual, so method will be individual - but we all share a lot of attributes in self and environment, so there is some use in helping each other by sharing what has worked, for "Method is stable and visible, energy is not. What is to be presented must be visible, and its representation must enable one to understand that its true essence is energy". It's just important not to be dogmatic about it, or make it about the teacher rather then the student, for the deeper the transformation is the more individual it will be. To my mind, I think the Apprenticeship serves a good platform for Knighthood to be about having that individual tested method, to share, and then a Temple would be a place to support those Knights and other Jedi in achieving that progress of self.

Would political advisement in such a future be in accordance with current Jediism values?

Tough call, as neutral in conflict is probably more of a illusion then anything - a temporary phase of isolation from the actual conflict going on. In the fiction they had super powers to serve that isolation by shielding them, being invulnerable, but in reality its a fairy tale as a concept - and the most real thing might be types of NGO's like the Red Cross and Red Crescent or maybe the White Helmets perhaps. Or some civilian intelligence agency - which would be an ambitious concept, because it would be basically impossible to match the levels of capability nation states can employ in those areas. The question would be asked what exactly are we delivering which is unique, and wanted!?

Could mainstream society look past the fictional Jedi and see something within Jedi that could benefit? Or can guidance be found elsewhere which is sufficient enough?

You don't have to call yourself a Jedi to act like a Jedi, so maybe Jedi as just the ones who try and focus on it specifically, in whatever way they happen to.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #309961 by

Where do you find yourself on the Force spectrum?

I am the last of the Sages of the Void. We tried to make sense of the narrow parts that run through the dark side of the Force. Most of us failed, moved on or are still on the search. The union, however, disbanded a long time ago. I am a member of the Sages and a pilgrim of the dark side.

And what is your take on the questions presented?

The Jedi won't find a unifying philosophy to stand behind. If they do, it will be so vague that you can ignore it. As it stands, the faith is individualistic, much like modern society is. With many people not wanting to give in to what they see a peer pressure, it will become and endless task to find common ground to build upon.

If it ever comes so far that the faith in the Force will be accepted as legitimate, I could see people take advice from wise men and women that follow it. They already do take advice from spiritual persons who share not their home or their faith. I don't see why it should be any different in this case.

If it is a 'good' thing depends on what you see as good. Is political influence something to strive for? Do you want to advice, or do you want to steer or even control? Many have fallen ill to the pestilence called politics, it's a rigged game with much to lose. I doubt it would be wise for the Jedi to mingle with the corrupt and twisted minds that politicians are so fond of.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #309970 by
Hi Hermetic Hermit ;-)

When the universe was created, absolute absence wanted to be first, but it couldn't exist by itself as it was the absence of absolute presence. So the absolute presence was first and it accepted absolute absence as a part of itself.

On our path towards absolute, we should seek to accept everything, or at least more and more things, as the absolute accepts everything including what it is not. Each time we define ourselves, we decide to accept some things and to reject some others. By doing that, we cut ourselves from absolute presence and define boundaries that can be destroyed by others.

Thanks to unconditional acceptance, we blur our boundaries and we flow through every cracks, putting a presence where there was an absence. This way no one can touch us.

I would conclude by saying that having a set of rules is as acceptable as not having any as long as it suits you for a period of time. But that period should be shorter than eternity :-D

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi