Thoughts on Jediism

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #309530 by
Thoughts on Jediism was created by
Already I have seen reaffirmations of my view on Jedi. The fictional Jedi of Star Wars were largely a political as well as philosophical order. In the real world Jedi are not only -NOT- as a unified entity involved in politics, but Jedi even differ in philosophy to various extents. In Star Wars the Jedi began as a mystical order without ties to any political entity. This holds true for any new religion or philosophy. Some religions become prominent in politics, we have seen this throughout history.

I pose a few questions:

1. Could the Jedi as a whole eventually codify a uniform philosophy and ethics?

2. If Jediism transcends far beyond our fictional "counterparts" in the minds of mainstream society, do you see some Jedi advising world leaders?

3. If so would this be a "good" thing? The answer to this third question may very well hinge upon the hypothetical unified philosophy of a hypothetical future Jedi religion. Will we remain a group of eclectic seekers?

A yes to this last question would not be a bad thing. Indeed it seems to be the most likely future for us from what I see. Would political advisement in such a future be in accordance with current Jediism values? Could mainstream society look past the fictional Jedi and see something within Jedi that could benefit? Or can guidance be found elsewhere which is sufficient enough? Personally I do not yet see Jedi fulfilling duties resembling our fictional "counterparts." Largely due to the fact that we will as a whole be associated with fantasy in the minds of most, and also due to the fact that there are established philosophies which most people draw from already. Not to mention we do not have the same nifty abilities as fictional Jedi. Thoughts?
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #309531 by Alethea Thompson
We did gather the things that are universal between all the orders. It's a document called the Jedi Compass :), there's a book named after it as well (all proceeds go to UNICEF, and I'll be making a report soon on how much we earned this year).

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Alethea Thompson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309532 by
Replied by on topic Thoughts on Jediism
I have that book actually, along with several other books on Jediism which I am working through!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309533 by

Jediism is highly individualistic. I think creating a uniform philosophy and ethics would alienate many of our members. But that's just me. I enjoy freedom.

2. If Jediism transcends far beyond our fictional "counterparts" in the minds of mainstream society, do you see some Jedi advising world leaders?

Perhaps, but I don't imagine it would be expected. Perhaps a political adviser may rise one day that just happens to be a Jedi. Not all political figures in the SW universe had a Jedi sidekick to give them wisdom. ;)

3. If so would this be a "good" thing? The answer to this third question may very well hinge upon the hypothetical unified philosophy of a hypothetical future Jedi religion. Will we remain a group of eclectic seekers?

I hope we remain individuals. Dogma would be to tightly restrictive for this Jedi. I do hope to take on mantles (and the accompanying responsibility that comes with the aforementioned). If Christianity expected their membership to become involved in... I dunno, the shipping industry, I'm sure many would not want to become Christian. Some would, but many wouldn't for, well, good reason.

In the end, my takeaway is this: Jediism is about the Force. Wherever the Force takes you, go. Wherever it points, look, go. But be wary of attachments. Becoming involved in politics is an attachment, and if they start affecting your Path, you need to know when to let go.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309535 by
I agree! Personally I would not get involved with politics, it is not my calling. What I have found is that Jediism is largely a personal path.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #309536 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Thoughts on Jediism

Hermetic Hermit wrote: I agree! Personally I would not get involved with politics, it is not my calling. What I have found is that Jediism is largely a personal path.

Well, of course you wouldn't want to get involved, you are a Hermetic Hermit! :laugh:

I think a vital componente of Jedi-ism is the hero's journey, which can only occur as a resistance against "the Machine". Not any specific government, or political party, or nation... but against the fear that leads us into trading in our individuality for the security of a system, of a method.

So could a Jedi advise a world leader? Sure! But not the Jedi.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Manu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #309689 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Thoughts on Jediism

Hermetic Hermit wrote: Some religions become prominent in politics, we have seen this throughout history.

Sort of inevitable... one of the main characteristics of religion is that it offers a framework for behavior, postulating we should act in specific ways, and why. Politics is one of the basic mechanisms we use to organize society, including the establishment of laws and ethical codes. If i believe that human behavior is directly linked to the forces which constitute the underpinnings of "existence" and "reality" e.g. "god", or "dharma" then it stands to reason that i want my society to be structured in a way that respects those forces, and i naturally become interested in politics.

The rest of the Jedi community could, but TOTJO is steadfast that everyone gets to define what it means to be a Jedi for his or her self. I think TOTJO would reject codification on principle, even if it actually agreed with the details.

I dont believe Jediism will be taken seriously by the mainstream for a very long time, IF EVER. Probably never. If i told you i was a Klingon, how serious would you take me? You might seriously wonder if i was dangerous, because youd suspect i was either taking the piss or totally off my rocker. Thats how most people respond to the word "jedi".

Frankly, the movies arent even that good. From what i can see, Lucas himself didnt really have a clear (or plausible) vision of what the jedi were, (not to the degree that real people could emulate them) and the writers who came along to flesh out the details were hardly trained philosophers. They basically made up whatever sounded cool and helped further the individual story they were working on.
No one thinks the Harry Potter books should be taken as models for religious belief, even though they were superior as literary works and (having only one author) much more coherent....

But the Jedi image does tap into something we can recognize as powerful and noble. There was something valuable there, even if it was so poorly expressed that its left up to us to fill it out for ourselves. Which is what TOTJO is about.
In true TOTJO fashion, I have developed my own conception of what it means to be a Jedi.... unlike TOTJO, calling oneself a Jedi is not on the list. There are psychological attributes (such as courage and dedication) and behavioral mandates (such as education and physical training) which make one a Jedi in my mind. Some people are Jedi and they dont even know it.

Understanding that i am referencing my own idea of what a Jedi is in order to answer this question, my answer is that i would like to see more Jedi become political leaders.

I mean, religious affiliation is no guarantee against incompetence or even malevolence. It is a good thing if wise and benevolent people have more influence on society than the foolish and the corrupt. What group they identify with and what name they call themselves is almost incidental.

Imo a religious or philosophical system is bunk of it doesnt hold honesty and dedication to "Truth" as one of its core mandates. By that i mean to always ask honestly "what is the truth?" rather than to insist "i know the truth". Most religions have people who do both, we are no exception. Actually its a difficult line to walk. I know i do my best and that my best isnt perfect. People here do their best, and it isnt always perfect. Overall I think our ratio is better than some of the other religions. Ultimately, my answer to the question "will we remain eclectic truth seekers?" is that i sure hope so.

A yes to this last question would not be a bad thing. Indeed it seems to be the most likely future for us from what I see. Would political advisement in such a future be in accordance with current Jediism values? Could mainstream society look past the fictional Jedi and see something within Jedi that could benefit? Or can guidance be found elsewhere which is sufficient enough? Personally I do not yet see Jedi fulfilling duties resembling our fictional "counterparts." Largely due to the fact that we will as a whole be associated with fantasy in the minds of most, and also due to the fact that there are established philosophies which most people draw from already. Not to mention we do not have the same nifty abilities as fictional Jedi. Thoughts?

I touched on this earlier but what id add at this point is that the more popular Jediism becomes, the more concerned Disney will be that we may affect their brand. They may already have plans for us which they simply havent gotten around to yet, or they may not know we exist (i doubt it) or more likely they see as as inconsequential. But if "Jediism" starts overtly and publicly impacting real-life social and political movements and events, [strike]The Empire[/strike] Disney is going to come a'knockin, with as much love for us as a fleet of storm troopers for a rebellious band of Ewoks.
I know Br Jon has put a lot of time and effort into that line of inquiry and he has some ideas of how to handle it if/when that day ever comes......

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
6 years 3 months ago #309694 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Thoughts on Jediism

Arisaig wrote: In the end, my takeaway is this: Jediism is about the Force. Wherever the Force takes you, go. Wherever it points, look, go. But be wary of attachments. Becoming involved in politics is an attachment, and if they start affecting your Path, you need to know when to let go.[/color]

1) could the Force lead one into politics?
2) do raising children and paying a mortgages count as attachments?
3) Would you say that being a police officer or a soldier or paramedic or a teacher would also be examples of attachments?

Could you explain what you mean by "attachments" and what is wrong with them?
For example, if make it a point to only eat nutritious food and to work out regularly, even when i want sweets and i dont feel like going to the gym, am i attached to good health and fitness or am i letting go of my attachment to sweets and laziness?

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 3 months ago #309695 by Carlos.Martinez3

Hermetic Hermit wrote: Already I have seen reaffirmations of my view on Jedi. The fictional Jedi of Star Wars were largely a political as well as philosophical order. In the real world Jedi are not only -NOT- as a unified entity involved in politics, but Jedi even differ in philosophy to various extents. In Star Wars the Jedi began as a mystical order without ties to any political entity. This holds true for any new religion or philosophy. Some religions become prominent in politics, we have seen this throughout history.

I pose a few questions:

Great stuff
Good observations !
I myself can only speak for me and my own personal practice . Every Jedi here will have a difrent answer and rightfully so .

We have here believe in the Force, and in the inherent worth of all life within it.
This is not a sole Jedi belief. It does not "belong" to us or in fact any one else. Most of the things we as Jedi believe here as well as Jedi community wide are in fact not - Jedi beliefs but common - ( natural-law - some say) every day human right one on one type of views. This one belief that the there person - the other heart isn't a label but as equal as I am--- blows my mind. The actual practice of Jedi can be summed to me , in this one belief and practice. Our words, our actions, our practice- can be summed as this one simple truth. One of many. If we can rid the world of all the labels and learn to see this one thing .... the world can change. The book of change the Bible the documents from the past every philosophy and ethics some how or another has some part of this one belief. ( whether of not we admit it)
So question one - yes ? It's already there or the possibility is there if we choose to accept or opt to acknowledge it.
As what we believe is not solely ours but rather just kind of just acknowledged (smiley-face ) every one has the right or ability to chose the jedinpath and call it that or call it what label they see fit . Either way - the display of character similar is every where. Politics has a funny way of showing any character other than greed. It's possible but difficult. Nature of the beast I think!
So - any one can advise any one regardless of status - but I would love for world leaders to actually have a stafff of advisors on wisdom - to often it's advise on politics and money. Once again the nature of the beast I guess. Ide sign up for the job ! I would also probly get fired. Lol

Is it odd to want to change the world by changing myself? Is it odd to fix things that need fixing myself? Then: help others like me with the same need? Is it odd to help others in the same path? The world has very odd views and even odd-er practices to me . I myself have figured and re defined my own path words stars fate and status in my own life and position in life. It wasn't easy but it's possible . The human potential lives in us all. Jedi can be the label that removes labels . Hope this helps some way. Hope my answers will help. Expect to see many same and many difrent . May the force you seek find you . !
I got a spot I like to post things ,if it can help feel free to join in any time ! My inbox is always open !

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Clergy/115769-the-block

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #309699 by

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Arisaig wrote: In the end, my takeaway is this: Jediism is about the Force. Wherever the Force takes you, go. Wherever it points, look, go. But be wary of attachments. Becoming involved in politics is an attachment, and if they start affecting your Path, you need to know when to let go.[/color]

1) could the Force lead one into politics?
2) do raising children and paying a mortgages count as attachments?
3) Would you say that being a police officer or a soldier or paramedic or a teacher would also be examples of attachments?

Could you explain what you mean by "attachments" and what is wrong with them?
For example, if make it a point to only eat nutritious food and to work out regularly, even when i want sweets and i dont feel like going to the gym, am i attached to good health and fitness or am i letting go of my attachment to sweets and laziness?

The Force could lead one into politics, for sure. Sometimes those in politics do great good with the power given to them. And I would hope, if a Jedi decided to go down that path, they would not allow themselves to become corrupted.

Attachments are anything that can alter your decision making abilities. Yes, some things we have to do (pay taxes, pay mortgage, ect) because if you dont, well, you lose your house and could get in trouble with the law.

Of course children are an attachment, and sometimes they may make us want to tear out hair out... but they're tools towards personal growth. Its a rewarding experience, so yes it is an attachment, but not a bad one.

And yes, any line of work in an attachment. You can form an attachment to anything. Example, I'm a huge fan of Jaffa Cakes. That's an attachment. I enjoy them, almost too much. So, in order to not get diabetes or become obese, I must be wary of that attachment, monitor my intake of them, ect.

I did say to be wary of them. If they are negative, get rid of the attachment. And don't just get rid of them once you feel they're negative. Meditate on it. Look to the horizon and see the calm waters, rather than focus on the crashing waves on the shore. An attachment may seem bad at the moment, like children (shudder), but they're amazing in the end and they help you grow.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi