The new star wars good or bad(no spoilers for those who have not watched it yet)

More
6 years 4 months ago #308902 by Brick
Amazing!

There were one or to moments that I thought were great sci-fi film material, but not as Star Wars as I'd like, but these were few and far between. Mostly it was unbelievably awesome. It tugged on a few heart strings too! Loved it! Going to see it again lol

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #308927 by
Star Wars last jedi was horrible, jesus what was that?! The worst star wars movie ever done. Full of WTF moments, so many plot holes, that was just horrible pls delete that movie and make ep.8 for real now, that was a bad joke.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #308942 by
Not as bad as the Christmas special. That's even worse then Howard the duck! But The Last Jedi was pretty good in my opinion. The funniest of all star wars movies.

More
6 years 4 months ago #308945 by JamesSand

pls delete that movie and make ep.8 for real now, that was a bad joke.

They will, though they'll probably call it Episode IX

In any case, they made made all their money back on the first day of release, and then doubled it on the second.

They could stop airing it now, and never release a single toy or tie in and still call it a spectacular success.

So, y'know, whether the movie is any good or adds anything to the development of human culture, is, at this point, mostly irrelevant.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #308953 by
From an entertainment stand point, it was a great movie. Far Far better than Force Awakens by a ton. The characters felt more natural in their roles and the cheese factor that was all over FA was not present in Last Jedi.

As a story writer.....There were several parts i was unhappy with. Two parts in particular that should be taken out entirely, one part echo's FA Complaints and then finally the last part like...wtf...>_> seriously....I can say I shook my head and offered many restrained sighs throughout the showing.

As a Jedi myself. I am greatful and appreciative that they brought back some of the old star wars spirit that made star wars and star wars fan's fall in love with the series to begin with. And while they were very very cliche and over used in many eastern mytho's.....it was better than nothing at all.

And finally.....As a fan of foxes...Yea....Crystal Foxes are my new favorite star wars creature!!!

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #308972 by Cyan Sarden
I loved it, mainly for two reasons:

- they made an effort to explain many of the core elements of Jediism as it is really lived by us and others. I even had the feeling that they might have checked out this very website for some clues (of course that's pure speculation :-)

- it had some great character development, unlikely heroes, Luke starting out on the hero's journey again

The only thing I personally consider slightly negative is that I think they packed too much in it. Could have easily been split up into two movies (which of course would lead the term "trilogy" ad absurdum :-)

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Cyan Sarden.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #308978 by
Hated it! I could go point for point as to why but that would be full of spoilers. Needless to say the only way this gets fixed is if JJ Abrams begins Episode 9 with the crawl that says: "Luke awakes from his dream to find that none of the last movie ever happened!"
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .

More
6 years 4 months ago #309057 by Proteus
So, in 1977, George Lucas had a vision. It was an epic story with heroes and villains, and a mystical presence in the universe called "The Force". In these days, while the basic shell of plot progression and archetypes were taken from other inspirational sources of George's and his editing team, the flavor and scale of this flavor of storytelling on the big screen was quite new. The point is, it was pure, raw, storytelling. This is the first thing to consider as a larger picture I want to express here.

One movie turned into three and the more success that the storytelling had, the more interest it gained by the media industry. The spirit of the its storytelling eventually drew itself to the world of business and branding.

Years later, George's vision had expanded. Partly this was due to the awaiting demands of the media industry which had been spending a lot of time feeding off of the success of the original trilogy and it wanted more. So George began building a backstory which became the prequels. But something happened (or didn't happen) at this point which differentiated it from his original success with the original trilogy.

In the original trilogy, George Lucas was the visionary and the draft artist. However, A New Hope, was not originally expected to be a success due to a plethora of issues with the original script and expected editing of the film. Had this original version of the film been released, it was guaranteed to have bombed. At this time, with George being younger and still learning his way around things, he abled himself to share his writing process with his editing team at the time, who played a significant part in re-arranging and revising many parts of the script and screenplay. It was due to this trusted committee of editors that Star Wars was able to succeed in the way that it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

The prequel trilogy unfortunately did not include this process of revising and editing. As the result, George Lucas was able to render an epic vision, but one that was poorly executed due to lack of consultation such as he had during the OT. The fan base did not give the kind of reception what-so-ever like they had to the OT. A backlash occurred over time, creating massive pressure of ridicule upon George and whether or not he should ever be allowed to write anything for Star Wars ever again. Little did people realize, while he was not the best writer in the process of executing the details and directions of what is no-doubt a big visionary plot, it wasn't necessarily to mean that George should have never continued working with Star Wars again, only that he should have included the process of consultation with his editing and revising team before releasing any final draft of these kinds of large-scale works. It was unfortunately this lack of understanding by many fans that drove them to shame George into signing over Lucas Film to someone else entirely.

The next issue at this point, was WHO he signed his property over to: Disney. Many will assume that since a company is big and renown for creating and towing large successful titles throughout media history, that they ought to be the one's to continue on something as large as Star Wars. However, this neglects something very important to consider: Money. When a company is as financially unstoppable as someone like Disney, they will no longer have to worry about the spirit of storytelling. At the scale that Disney is able to operate at, production is more about branding than about what is within said brand. This means that George signed his property as a brand over to a company that will treat Star Wars predominately as a brand more than as a historical storytelling legacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S2zsCaOOmE

As a result, Disney is legally and financially allowed to make decisions with the Star Wars property that is in the interest of consuming this brand in a way that they can severe it away from anything that could potentially get in the way of its future goals for that brand. And this was the goal of Disney with The Last Jedi - to severe off as much of the Lucas Film OT era of the brand as much as possible. "let the past die".

Now let's take a look at the changes in direction Disney has set in place, not in terms of storytelling but in terms of the company and its brand. First keep in mind that bureaucratic entities as large as Disney has MASSIVE power in mainstream media to influence audiences - and this is something that, according to their historical interests, they would be a fool to pass up. So what is "in" these days in this generation?

"Strong women"

"Diversity"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72qoh4aglVo

Many of the things that you will hear a great deal of the internet call "SJW Propaganda".

At least a portion of the complaining about the presence of this propaganda is both ignorantly and intentionally mistaken as people saying "women aren't strong", "women don't matter", or "diversity is bad", when that isn't even remotely the case. Instead, it revolves around forcing a scene or a message in a brand that was never necessary to be put there in the first place, and can even be damaging to the supposed cause of the propaganda and the brand due to the fact that it is forced. The more attention that is drawn to a movement, the more controversial and politically destructive that movement will become, regardless of its seeming intentions, and we have seen this throughout history. But unfortunately, it is used today (and has in the past as well) by entities with great vocal power, to push these movements forcefully into what used to be genuine authentic storytelling that would have otherwise been told for authentic purposes.

As a result, we have Disney, who decided to hire a writer willing to cut off the origins of the Star Wars lore in order to mold it into a new tool for an agenda they have been developing for quite some time. If there is any franchise that is so large that it can reach the world on quite a large scale to push that agenda, you can bet its Star Wars. It's no longer about the storytelling. There is no hero's adventure in this. It's more-so a spectacle of mindless action, humor and over-blown attempts at "plot twists" to ooo and ahhh a gullible audience who are sucked into the BRAND of Star Wars, regardless of what they do with the characters including defaming selected ones to no longer be the heroes they once were so that instead, new chosen characters take their place as the "correct selections for this generation".

And so far, if there is any one person who has expressed what I'm getting at, its the very actor of Luke Skywalker, himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw0IR6fJlV0

So if you ask about my opinion of the new "Star Wars", I will tell you, there is one actual cinematic story that takes place across three films. Beyond that, Star Wars is just a brand. That is how it is treated, produced and released. And a brand doesn't really mean anything to me. Do I care for Nike? Or Coca-Cola. No. Why should I?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9hwGZFPSmw

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

More
6 years 4 months ago #309068 by steamboat28
This film did everything right. I'll ramble more about it when I have more time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #309069 by
Pretty much perfect. Yes, I understand the gripes people have about it... but in my opinion, prolly one of the better SW movies we've had sing RotJ. Lots of comedy, but the original trilogy was also full of humour.

The swordplay in this one was SO right. No sick spinz for dayz like we see in the prequels, but not as slow paced as, say, ANH. Truly satisfying to watch the swordplay.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi