What does your username mean?

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #303947 by Lykeios Little Raven
Thought this could be fun/illuminating. (Note: I almost put this in the "Member Discussion" forum. If someone with the power to move the thread thinks it should go there, please do so.)

I thought it would be nice for us to get to know each other a little better and this is something I often wonder about people here at TOTJO.
What does your username on this site mean/reference?

I'll go first:
"Lykeios" means "of the wolf/wolves" (or possibly "wolf-slayer," a meaning I tend to reject) in Greek. It (or similar) was an epithet of at least two Gods (Apollo and Zeus) in the Greek pantheon (the pantheon I believe in and worship). I chose this nickname/username because it is a reference to both my belief system and my favorite animal (the wolf).

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #303951 by
Replied by on topic What does your username mean?
My username is just a derivative of my name. It also has the added benefit of referencing Zen, a practice I held for quite some time. :)
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303954 by
"SamThift" is a combination of a first name, "Sam", and a last name, "Thift".

That is all.

More
6 years 6 months ago #303955 by Lykeios Little Raven
Thanks for sharing guys!

Also, Sam, the quote in your signature is awesome. (And I don't even really like GoT as a show...)

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303956 by
Arisaig is the name of two beautiful places. Arisaig Scotloand, and Arisaig Provincial Park in Nova Scotia (a beautiful place, if you ever happen to be in Nova Scotia, pop by that place. You wont regret it).

But Arisaig also means "The Safe Place" in Scottish Gaelic. I've always been the person that people feel comfortable open up to. I know how to keep secrets, I know how to listen. I do my best to be a safe place to anyone who needs one.

So it fits me in my Path as a Jedi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303957 by
Mine's just a mix of "Vlad" and "Alucard". In the Hellsing fandom, we have different names for the main character depending on the form he is taking and this is the name for when he's reverted to his original form of Vlad the Impaler. I've been using it for the past 11 or so years and am proud to say I was the one who coined it back when the Hellsing fandom was at it's highest point (it's died out a lot since the manga finished 10 or so years ago but I still love it). I've been a Hellsing fan for 14 years and have used this name for 11 or so years, it's a part of me now xD

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303959 by
Trisskar - This was not my Jedi Name at first.... It was my Everquest character name. I got the name from Brian Jaques Redwall series. A character named Trisscar the squirrel maiden. I then too the name and added a K instead of a C. This name then followed my gaming adventures from Everquest, to Star Wars Galaxys, to World of Warcraft.....

Later the name was used in my star wars fan fiction stories. Trisskar the Sith Apprentice. I ended up playing with this character for up to 7ish years of development and found someone to draw her in commission art.

Attachment TrissandMainyucolor.jpg not found

Attachment TrissnKieran5.preview.jpg not found

Attachment Trisspower.jpg not found

Attachment Trisssalute.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
6 years 6 months ago #303963 by Lykeios Little Raven
Thanks for sharing guys!

A few of these I already knew about (either because I asked about them or because I read about them in profiles) but I'm still happy to hear the origin story of peoples' usernames.

@Vladucard: I love Hellsing, but never got into the fandom.

@Arisaig: I've mostly studied Irish Gaelic (gaeilge), so it's interesting to see a name from Scottish Gaelic.

@Trisskar: I knew you adapted the name from "Trisscar," but didn't know you'd used it for a character in SW fanfic! Thanks for sharing!

The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303965 by
Streen, according to what are called the Legend books (formerly the Expanded Universe), was Luke Skywalker's first student when he decided to recreate the Jedi Order. He was an elderly man who lived on Bespin as a Tibanna gas miner. He chose that way of life because it was secluded; he could hear people's thoughts unwillingly when he got too close.

Under Luke's tutelage, he showed him how to block out others' thoughts, and he became particularly powerful when it came to controlling weather and wind.

More
6 years 6 months ago #303968 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic What does your username mean?
Mine is boring I almost didn't post.

Manu = short for my first name, Manuel. Manu is what most friends call me.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, , Kobos

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi