A question about being the 'international church of Jediism'

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
6 years 9 months ago #289437 by ren
It's the site description, which previously didn't appear... And totjo is international in the sense it provides services to people in different countries, is lead by people from different countries, and provides material in different languages....

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #299864 by

Br.John wrote: I'm going to change it to An International Church of Jediism as soon as I figure out how.

SOOoooo... any headway on this? As of now (almost two months later, we still see International church (lowercase) of Jediism.

I'd just hate to see a couple pages of debate have gone on for naught. Especially since a decision was made and such.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by .

More
6 years 7 months ago #299918 by Alexandre Orion
Aren't we an international church of Jediism ?

Don't we have members from several different countries ?

The Council has members from four countries ... our membership spans many more.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #299920 by Adder
The wording of 'church' was pointed out as being a label for a Christian place of worship specifically. I dunno if its true, I had never realized as much....

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #299924 by
Wasn't the point I was making. As of now it states International church of Jediism. We are not debating the use of church here, that was handled in another thread. Nor are we debating the use of international, just how singular it is as it stands.

It was agreed that it would be changed to "An International Church of Jediism" to show we are not the only one (for legal reasons). Its been two months, yet no change has been made.

More
6 years 7 months ago #299926 by Adder
Ah yes, see;
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/118634-a-question-about-being-the-international-church-of-jediism?start=10#289420

-> "An International Church of Jediism"

Need an admin to do that.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #299940 by Proteus
Just sharing my thoughts - I've never gotten the impression that just having "International church of Jediism" meant "the one and only international church of Jediism" (particularly because it doesn't say it). I would like to think that any judge with half a brain would laugh a lawyer right out of the room if he saw him trying to make something as daftly trivial as a site description (particularly as openly worded as that one is) a statement of ownership over all international Jedi churches, simply because there isn't the word "An" in front of it. :blink:

Or am I just completely missing another point here? :huh:

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #299941 by
Its too definitive. My mother once owned a magazine and faced a lawsuit from a "competitor" (so small we had never heard of them before) because of the slogan's wording. Would rather be safe than sorry.

But my main point is that this seems to have been forgotten, I was hoping to clarify if any work or headway had been done to figure out how to add a single word (and capitalise Church(being a proper noun)) in the past two months...

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #299949 by OB1Shinobi

Br. John wrote:

Trisskar wrote:

Br. John wrote: even though I believe the comment "could give a damm" means couldn't give a damm.

Absolutely. You certainly could interpret that however you like.....Except that my words aren't tied to any legal ramification so asides for the risk of being misunderstood. It doesn't matter...

However someone trying to 'stick it to you in court' could spin a full web around that one little mis hap.

*Shrugs* Sorry if you felt threatened by my comment :) Im not trying to tell you how to do things. I was simply making a generalized comment on a highly pushing it "What If" backed up by a "Its just a play on wordage. Not a big deal" sort of assurance.

Br. John wrote: Thank you most kindly. I'm quite used to frightening and threatening people and things (I live in Texas) so I was not troubled at all. I was terrified.

I had to take an aspirin and I discovered I have no idea how to edit that tagline. I can get to the Temple of the Jedi Order at the top. I can get to the logo and everything below it. But I was trying to edit that line based on the suggestions and, I have to curse here, Bicarbonate of Soda!. I can't find it in the admin panel.

I'm going to change it to An International Church of Jediism as soon as I figure out how.

This post post made me bleed my own blood (and when it came out it was bicarbonate of soda) :laugh:

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
6 years 7 months ago #299985 by ZealotX
I only want to say one thing about this. That is... don't be afraid to invent.

I totally get the name. I do.

However, Jediism is by far and away the most outside the box religion I've ever known (and I've been around the block a time or two).

It is my belief that we should embrace this. The word church is universally understood but lacks a certain something (for me).

And certain words definitely remind people of things perhaps they were trying to get away from and possibly reinforces in others certain behavior patterns common to most churches.

Don't be afraid to be different. That's all I'm saying. Islam doesn't use the term church. They have mosques and temples. And even many call themselves "centers" which is pretty modern. Are they any less of a religion for this? Being a legal religion doesn't depend on outsiders recognizing the words you use. It depends solely on how you operate.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi