A question about being the 'international church of Jediism'

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #289388 by Avalon
Hey I get what you're saying about "church" ... I also know that where it's at it basically displays as a tagline for the site and taglines usually follow titlecase, meaning it ought to be capitalized. It'd be the same if it were a subtitle of a book. Down in a regular paragraph, then yeah no it wouldn't be, but up below the title of the site, it becomes viewed as a subtitle or like I said tagline.

Just a thought. (And just a thought from me as a graphic/web designer, nothing more.)

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Avalon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #289392 by Manu
Ok, so we are getting hung up on the words "international" and "church". When does "Jediism" get its day? :silly:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #289401 by

Br. John wrote: (In case that's what is being insulated about 'be[ing] misleading legally'.
~ B. Kliban

Umm.....No 0_o and the toilet reference is a bit crass...don't you think?

Anyways....

All i was saying is that should - for any stupid reason - TOTJO be sued or faced with legal things....Stupid little hang up words that may appear "Misleading" can cause issues.

I could give a damn about this church or that church or title or description. All I was saying is that Legality requires a "Handle with care"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #289402 by

Trisskar wrote: All i was saying is that should - for any stupid reason - TOTJO be sued or faced with legal things....Stupid little hang up words that may appear "Misleading" can cause issues.

I could give a damn about this church or that church or title or description. All I was saying is that Legality requires a "Handle with care"

Agreed. For a while my mother ran a magazine and ended up in a legal battle with a self declared "competitor" (had never heard of her or her magazine before, so hardly competition) because of her choice of slogan. Pretty similar to this topic.

But since this issue doesnt say THE International Church of Jediism, we should be fine.

If anything, perhaps add "AN" to the beginning. (An International Church of Jediism)?
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by . Reason: because, that's why. ;)

More
6 years 8 months ago #289414 by Br. John
In US law the word church has a legal meaning. Cathedral, Temple, Tabernacle ... for legal purposes are churches. I appreciate the concern for us not getting sued even though I believe the comment "could give a damm" means couldn't give a damm. Then there is an important reason I forgot to mention - search engines.

People trying to find us sometimes don't remember the exact name. Especially if they've heard about us from someone in person where it's not written down or on a screen. They'll look for "jedi church" or "jedi religion" or "jediism church" or "jediism religion" .... so there's wording on that front page that makes a big difference in Google and Bing and GoGoDuck.

Let me bore everyone some more with legal stuff. For US tax purposes we are considered a ministry, not a church or a temple. For US First Amendment issues we are considered a church which includes the terms cathedral, temple, tabernacle and so on.

I'm not a professional commodeian but I think the cartoon is funny. We've all been there.

Attachment GrowUpPresidentKliban.jpg not found

Warning: Might involve poo.
Warning: Spoiler!

Founder of The Order
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #289417 by

Br. John wrote: even though I believe the comment "could give a damm" means couldn't give a damm.

Absolutely. You certainly could interpret that however you like.....Except that my words aren't tied to any legal ramification so asides for the risk of being misunderstood. It doesn't matter...

However someone trying to 'stick it to you in court' could spin a full web around that one little mis hap.

*Shrugs* Sorry if you felt threatened by my comment :) Im not trying to tell you how to do things. I was simply making a generalized comment on a highly pushing it "What If" backed up by a "Its just a play on wordage. Not a big deal" sort of assurance. [/quote]

More
6 years 8 months ago #289420 by Br. John

Trisskar wrote:

Br. John wrote: even though I believe the comment "could give a damm" means couldn't give a damm.

Absolutely. You certainly could interpret that however you like.....Except that my words aren't tied to any legal ramification so asides for the risk of being misunderstood. It doesn't matter...

However someone trying to 'stick it to you in court' could spin a full web around that one little mis hap.

*Shrugs* Sorry if you felt threatened by my comment :) Im not trying to tell you how to do things. I was simply making a generalized comment on a highly pushing it "What If" backed up by a "Its just a play on wordage. Not a big deal" sort of assurance.

[/quote]

Thank you most kindly. I'm quite used to frightening and threatening people and things (I live in Texas) so I was not troubled at all. I was terrified.

I had to take an aspirin and I discovered I have no idea how to edit that tagline. I can get to the Temple of the Jedi Order at the top. I can get to the logo and everything below it. But I was trying to edit that line based on the suggestions and, I have to curse here, Bicarbonate of Soda!. I can't find it in the admin panel.

I'm going to change it to An International Church of Jediism as soon as I figure out how.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, OB1Shinobi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #289421 by
this is when I wish I was a admin for ya ;) I could help!!

I want to say (im guessing...I know Ren has his own crazy code) that what you want is the "Home" Article in the Articles section. The area is/should/I believe....be an Article.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .

More
6 years 8 months ago #289422 by Adder
Probably 'site description' where you have the option to change 'site title'.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John

More
6 years 8 months ago #289423 by Br. John
Well sheet. In one of my earlier posts the word insulated was supposed to be insinuated. Just getting the record straight. And I don't feel insulted by anyone either.

Hmm. Can we make a sentence with all three? Clara was insulted when Mrs. Broomrack insinuated her home was poorly insulated.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi