Replied by on topic Alcohol
I abstain personally
I've had a few sips to try the taste or appease my family
but I've never been drunk before.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #281831 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Alcohol
I personally drink every once in a while. I have been to the point of almost needing AA but pulled myself back from it. So I know that balance is key in my own life. Its all a matter of what works for you and having a sound logic behind it.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
6 years 11 months ago #281832 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Alcohol
I think it's important to remain vigilant of cause and consequence whenever engaging in any behavior that might turn pathological.

Many who become addicted to anything (be it alcohol, drugs, junk food, or hanging out at forums) are often using the habit as a way to cope with reality. Thus, if you drink to escape life (even if it feels as if your "living" more), you will most likely go down the road of exaggeration and then will have to deal with the consequences.

I personally have never had a strong tendency to use alcohol as a coping mechanism, so I can drink whenever without worrying too much (not that I do drink that much or that often). My coping mechanism is food, but that's a different topic, I guess.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex,

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281939 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Alcohol
Otherwise known as Ethanol... I'd say its a dissociative? While I love the effects, I drink very rarely because I've observed it tends to function as a weak poison. So yea I abstain from any regularity, but if youhand me a drink..... :D
I do have some laying around the house unopened... which would not have happened in my 20's!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Adder.

More
6 years 11 months ago #281954 by Eleven
Replied by Eleven on topic Alcohol
I respect the person who can get up from having a drink or two and say, "Okay I'm done." however, I resent the person who wants to get blind stink in' drunk every weekend and any chance they get...that's abusive and as many others have said "Unbalanced." Forgive me if I offend anyone I came from a abusive family who drank a lot.But, I choose not to drink I don't see the point and it's so expensive too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

More
6 years 11 months ago #282000 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Alcohol
I think it depends on the individual. Some people can handle Alcohol and other's can't. Because of this there should be no hard rule on the matter.

Personally, most of time I drink it's not to get drunk. On the weekends I have 7 kids running around the house and my attention is never not wanted. One kid always wants to play fight with me. Another might be slightly deaf so she talks incredibly loud. Another wont clean up to save her life. Another thinks his sister is trying to kill him and argues constantly and often says inappropriate things. So at times there is a lot of stress and a well placed Red Stripe beer can really take the edge off so a lot of that stress kind of rolls off your back.

Drinking is something of an artform, I think. I understand now why they are called "spirits". Different "spirits" can be used for different reasons. There are some drinks that one might use just to chill out... mellow... relax. And they can help you fall asleep. Some drinks put you more into a romantic mood. By controlling the drinks and the amount you drink you stay in control. I can count how many times I've actually been drunk and even then it was at the right time and place for it.

I even think it might be helpful to at least know what kind of drunk you are because it reveals what's going on inside when all of your mental defenses aren't up.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #282020 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Alcohol

And they can help you fall asleep

Alcohol helps you fall asleep, but it doesn't help you stay asleep.

(It's 1am right now, so ask me how I know :lol: )

Edit: The Internet said it, so it's true http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20130118/alcohol-sleep#1
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by JamesSand.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #282021 by
Personally I do not drink. I never have and likely never will. My father never drank. His father (biologically) was an abusive alcoholic. That provides reason number one.

Reason 2: I don't like the idea of anything dulling my senses, particularly my self control. I've trained my body to be a potentially dangerous weapon and I don't want that to be a problem.

Reason 3: I can't even stand the smell of alcohol. Lol. I don't know why, just can't stand it.

All of that said I firmly believe that the choice to consume alcohol is a deeply personal one and I will NEVER stop someone from drinking (provided they are being safe) and will in no way try to make a person feel bad for doing so. I'll even buy you drinks. All I ask is that you respect my decision not to drink alcohol.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #282028 by

Goken wrote: All of that said I firmly believe that the choice to consume alcohol is a deeply personal one and I will NEVER stop someone from drinking (provided they are being safe) and will in no way try to make a person feel bad for doing so. I'll even buy you drinks. All I ask is that you respect my decision not to drink alcohol.

You raise an important point here. Drinking is often a social activity and it can be hard to resist the pressure to drink when others around you expect it. I used to drink a LOT and my family and friends know this. Now that I shouldn't due to health reasons, I say 'no thanks' and it surprises people. They tend to think I'm kidding or tell me it will be fine to have just one. I have no issue with others drinking around me, but they do need to respect my choice not to. Especially considering it might actually kill me now :dry:

More
6 years 11 months ago #282037 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Alcohol

JamesSand wrote:

And they can help you fall asleep

Alcohol helps you fall asleep, but it doesn't help you stay asleep.

(It's 1am right now, so ask me how I know :lol: )

Edit: The Internet said it, so it's true https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20130118/alcohol-sleep#1

Good find.

I that article says 1-2 drinks will have minimal effect on sleep. So yeah... the name of the game will always be moderation. There's no easy button.

P.S. - My fiance has been having trouble sleeping. It sux. In her case it might have been made worse by too much of a certain vitamin. If you're having trouble sleeping I wish you the best of luck finding a solution.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi