Amish farmer thrown in jail by FDA for not having "approved" medicine

More
7 years 1 month ago #277704 by OB1Shinobi
the term is new to me and i dont understand it, could you explain what you mean when you say "illusion of proper appearance"?

People are complicated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277708 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: the term is new to me and i dont understand it, could you explain what you mean when you say "illusion of proper appearance"?

It means I try to see things as they actually are, not as we would like them to be. In this case, the man broke a valid law, plain and simple. The law is there for a reason, as you stated earlier. Its so no one can misrepresent a product they are selling or supporting. Its not a conspiracy nor is it an overstepping of the bounds of the FDA. The FDA is not a fascist regime that delights in squashing the little man. It is upholding the law for a valid purpose. People that want to try and twist that into something it is not so that they may claim the victim are exercising a distorted illusion of an otherwise proper appearance.

More
7 years 1 month ago #277711 by JamesSand
Do I truly come off as a sarcastic clown?

That's a shame, I was going for sardonic, with slices of insight served wittily (and happy to have them missed by anyone who's looking at it from another point of view)

But it's in the eye of the beholder, then sarcastic clown I am. I'll get the greasepaint.

The FDA is not a fascist regime that delights in squashing the little man.

Most inane bureaucracies don't *delight* in quashing anything, but they tend to bugger it all up anyway, regardless of their intent or enjoyment of the result.

Something about razors and stupidity and evil.

(You're right, I know nothing about the FDA, but I know governments and what happens when large groups of people justifying their salaries try to make decisions. There's no mad villain stroking a cat, but there may as well be (and that would only be one salary, so we could spend the savings on effective health care and public transport!)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #277712 by

the man broke a valid law

Well......I wouldn't go so far to say "Valid" - Law yes...Valid....meh....

Lets take on of the farmers ingredients. Comfery. Fantastic Herb, known as Bone Knit...I have personally seen it do some amazing things and plan to use it as a main ingredient in my own salves.

However.....

The FDA has banned it in most if not all of the western worlds. They banned it due to some very very controlled/specific studies that found certian properties to be dangerous if too much of it is absorbed. They learned this by isolating those specific elements and tested subjects with a high concentration of them. Discovered the danger ((Because you know...there are not legal drugs that are far worse sitting in our local stores right meow)) and procaimed it too dangerous and thus - banned

Never mind the fact that this herb has been used for ages

Never mind the fact that it is STILL used for ages

Never mind the fact that it would take one person eatting a whole massive garden in a single sitting before any such results were to show....

The FDA is long known for squashing the herbal outlets because they are dangerous to the profits of modern medicine.

Sooooooo Valid. No.

But

the Law is the Law. Period.

Like it or not...if you break the law multiple times and do not submit to the demands....your going to get dragged off in cuffs. Thats the reality of it. Fair or not. It is what it is.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277715 by

Trisskar wrote: Never mind the fact that this herb has been used for ages

Never mind the fact that it is STILL used for ages

Never mind the fact that it would take one person eatting a whole massive garden in a single sitting before any such results were to show....

The FDA is long known for squashing the herbal outlets because they are dangerous to the profits of modern medicine.

Sooooooo Valid. No.

I understand that and as a pagan i use and support herbal remedies probably on a stronger stance than most. However because most of these remedies uncontrolled nature concerning dosages etc and unscientifically proven effects they cannot be touted as consistently doing this or that in any sort of controlled or for profit arena. The FDA is just providing a basic protection to the general population. Its the same reason that homeopathic medicines must follow similar labeling and handling requirements. In the case of homeopathy its so people that can read and comprehend don't get duped by an otherwise useless remedy. :P

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #277718 by JamesSand

The FDA is just providing a basic protection to the general population.

Said every tyrant ever?

Everyone has the right to do their own research and choose based on their best knowledge what to do to their bodies, and so help me, they also have the right to destroy themselves.

If you go buy an ointment or pill or douche and use it on your body - the last people I would trust is the people selling it - FDA, FSM, or TotJO (can we change it to TJO so it's a proper TLA?) approved or otherwise.

Do I think businesses should be able to make wild claims about their products? No, of course not, it's not ethical.
Do I think it's needs to be regulated up the wazoo, tied in with zero tolerance drug punishment laws, and old mate (misguided or ignorant though he may be) should be lumped off like an ice dealer at a school? Of course not, it's not ethical.

Anyway, I've got some witches to burn and couples living in sin to stone.

It's 6am, and I've broken three laws this morning (that I know of) conducted at least two indecent acts, ate stale bread, and wore ill fitting shoes.

Is there a law against selling ill fitting shoes?

Do you have any idea how much back injuries cost my country's medicare system?

I'm going to check, and if I find one, young William at Footlocker is going to have a bad time.

(Maybe I'm jaded because I have frequent run ins with made up agencies that have ingratiated themselves with the government and made themselves "the Authority" in their field, and any event or action taken in that field without paying them a levy (which ensures you are "in accordance with best policy") is de jure, a crime)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by JamesSand.

More
7 years 1 month ago #277723 by Wescli Wardest
Warning: Spoiler!

Long and short of it; as I, a mere common person, can tell… the FDA is a group of regulators that have been given the ability to pass regulation into legislation with the penalties reserved for law. They are not voted on, nor are the regulations they pass. There is only what they say, and how they decide you are in violation of whatever they deem to be their standard. Seems a bit fascist to me.

As far as I can tell from reading the Constitution, Federal authority over food and drugs is not granted; in fact, food and drugs are not mentioned in the Constitution at all.

Per the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Because the Constitution does not grant the federal government any authority with regards to regulation of food and drugs, the Tenth Amendment explicitly leaves that power with the individual states.

Another PDF worth reading…
FDA’s Regulatory Framework - An Overview
Lawrence Bachorik, Ph.D., Assistant Commissioner for Communications,
Office of External Affairs, Office of the Commissioner
https://www.fda.gov/downloads/InternationalPrograms/NewsEvents/UCM414990.pdf

I recognize that some measures need to be implemented for the protection of consumers. That said, as far as I am concerned the FDA, EPA and OSHA are nothing more than groups of federally empowered henchmen.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277727 by

Wescli Wardest wrote:

Warning: Spoiler!

Long and short of it; as I, a mere common person, can tell… the FDA is a group of regulators that have been given the ability to pass regulation into legislation with the penalties reserved for law. They are not voted on, nor are the regulations they pass. There is only what they say, and how they decide you are in violation of whatever they deem to be their standard. Seems a bit fascist to me.

As far as I can tell from reading the Constitution, Federal authority over food and drugs is not granted; in fact, food and drugs are not mentioned in the Constitution at all.

Per the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Because the Constitution does not grant the federal government any authority with regards to regulation of food and drugs, the Tenth Amendment explicitly leaves that power with the individual states.

Another PDF worth reading…
FDA’s Regulatory Framework - An Overview
Lawrence Bachorik, Ph.D., Assistant Commissioner for Communications,
Office of External Affairs, Office of the Commissioner
https://www.fda.gov/downloads/InternationalPrograms/NewsEvents/UCM414990.pdf

I recognize that some measures need to be implemented for the protection of consumers. That said, as far as I am concerned the FDA, EPA and OSHA are nothing more than groups of federally empowered henchmen.

Totally agree. But unless you have your....ahem...."hands"....in high power house pants....Its better to play along and label your damn ointments XD

More
7 years 1 month ago #277735 by Wescli Wardest
Avoiding getting into trouble will work for a while. Until the people you’re avoiding get to the point where they can use their power to squash you no matter what you do or don’t do. :P

The whole point of the tenth amendment is to keep legislations that do not concern government or require governmental control to the state arena. In this state, if they needed each person to label what was in their stuff, or not provide testimonials from patrons, or whatever issue they may deem worthy of regulatory action, then they could bring it to a vote and in turn do so. This helps to tailor the law for the people it is governing. It also gives the people in those jurisdiction the ability to tailor the punishment or repercussions to violations to the regulation.

There should be some universal regulations. Like, you can’t put toxic waste in food. Things that might be considered common sense regulation. But the majority of the regulations are just garbage.

Today it is an Amish individual with some salves. Tomorrow it could be the neighborhood little girl being hauled off to federal prison because she didn’t have the correct labels on her lemonade stand.

LOL :P

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #277751 by Br. John
As I find information about this case I'm posting it. Mr. Girod was found guilty on all counts on March 2. Here is a copy of the indictment.

Attachment 151001-Indictment-counts-1-12.pdf not found

Here is details about the trail itself.

https://www.kyfreepress.com/2017/02/fda-v-sam-girod-trial-day-1/

https://www.kyfreepress.com/2017/03/trial-fda-v-samuel-girod-day-2/

https://www.kyfreepress.com/2017/03/fda-v-sam-girod-trial-day-3/

http://www.kyfreepress.com/2017/02/fda-v-sam-girod-trial-day-1/

http://www.kyfreepress.com/2017/03/trial-fda-v-samuel-girod-day-2/

http://www.kyfreepress.com/2017/03/fda-v-sam-girod-trial-day-3/

These are not https but so far I am unable to post without the 's' as the program keeps putting it in for me. If this last try does not work copy the links and remove the 's' before you enter.

Founder of The Order

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Br. John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi