Election & The Jedi Code

More
7 years 5 months ago #265030 by Alethea Thompson
Addition certainly. But to take away from it means that Jediism isn't anything- it may as well not exist. You could be Hitler and be a Jedi if it's true that you can subtract. Something must be at the base for all of us.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265033 by
Replied by on topic Election & The Jedi Code

I find it fascinating that people can openly speak time after time at this temple about contemplating the assassination of a US elected official and no one bats an eye. And yet I use one colorful bit of language in an "aggressive negotiation" and everyone loses their mind

The difference is - Silas's Assassination comment was one of childish empty talking and you are a long standing member of this community with proven higher standards from past behaviors and participation. Just because Silas acts and says a certian way or thing....dosn't give you the "right" to poke and jab to prove a point or put him in his place.

We all know you can do better than that while still achieving your goals ;) THAT is more important than empty talk from a youngling.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265036 by
I'm not sure where the idea that we don't berate Silas came from either. I don't think I've seen him touch a keyboard around here without receiving mountains of backlash and almost no public support. If it seems like the backlash is in decline it's most likely because others, like myself, have gotten tired of talking to him. We've decided to, in Zenchi's words, "Stop feeding the monkeys."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265045 by
There was a post I had seen from Silas in another thread about America getting rid of the second Amendment....I have alot to say about that, I am happy and proud of my rights and anyone who follows my Apprentice Journal knows my chapter here in Michigan practice on a near weekly basis....

But I know that if I argue and try to logically "Put Silas in his place" it will be a aimless battle of ranting wills and....as is said " 'Aint no one got time for that." :-p

Time and place... Silas has his beliefs and is clearly quite hard headed in them. ;) If he steps out of grounds enough, a mod or council member will handle it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265046 by

Alethea Thompson wrote: Addition certainly. But to take away from it means that Jediism isn't anything- it may as well not exist. You could be Hitler and be a Jedi if it's true that you can subtract. Something must be at the base for all of us.

So would you consider one who modifies or removes even as much as one line of the Doctrine for what ever reason and follows that instead of the full original version to be something less than a true Jedi? What about other sites and what they may carry as slightly different versions of a Jedi Doctrine. Would you consider them as not true Jedi either if their doctrine differs from this temples? On the surface this seems pretty dogmatic.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265047 by

Goken wrote: I'm not sure where the idea that we don't berate Silas came from either. I don't think I've seen him touch a keyboard around here without receiving mountains of backlash and almost no public support. If it seems like the backlash is in decline it's most likely because others, like myself, have gotten tired of talking to him. We've decided to, in Zenchi's words, "Stop feeding the monkeys."

This ^^^

If there were any reason to believe that the threat of assassination of anybody were real, the reaction here would be overwhelming and swift. It would also likely grab the attention of far greater authorities than us lowly Jedi.

We speak often here of the desire for Jedi to practice critical thinking and employ a more logical rather than emotional approach to discussion. When one person is clearly presenting an illogical argument (you can also read that to say "bat crap crazy rhetoric"), it is incumbent on the rest of us to recognize it and respond accordingly. In many cases, that means no response at all. Hypocrisy is a Jedi's worst enemy, after all.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265050 by

So would you consider one who modifies or removes even as much as one line of the Doctrine for what ever reason and follow that to be something less than a true Jedi? What about other sites and what they may carry as slightly different versions of a Jedi Doctrine.

No. Because there is a "Core" set of natural practices that ALL of these various doctrines and codes have.

Just Jedi actually assembled something that reflects that. I can gaurantee every doctrine, code, and law of any Jedi School will have the same elements. Might be worded differently....but the Spirit of it is not. Just my thoughts :)

Just Jedi Conduct

Valor– “A Jedi Knight must be morally correct in behavior or thinking”

Other words include: character (You), decency, goodness, honesty, integrity, probity, morality, righteousness, rightness, uprightness, virtue, virtuousness, Professionalism, Honor, Discipline, Truth, Rectitude.

The-Force - “A Jedi Knight must be at harmony with The Force.”

Other words include: Equilibrium, Energy, Balance, Harmony, Empathy, Sympathy, Living, Faith, Redemption, Ohm.

Service – “A Jedi Knight is Self-less in service of respectable endeavors.”

Other words include: Goodness, Heart, Adaptability, Compassion, Respect, Helpful.

More
7 years 5 months ago #265075 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Election & The Jedi Code

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

MadHatter wrote: There is Opie McClouds school Jedi Living, The Noble Order of Jedi, our school etc etc. Each school has a similar yet slightly different version of The code, the creed, the 16 teachings, the 21 maxims, the three tenets etc etc. So yes those teachings and codes define what it is to be a Jedi. They are all fairly similar but with slight tweaks.

As far as how my way is any better etc etc. The fact is your responses are aggressive and name calling. Those are outside of the Temple rules so you might be glad that the "powers that be" are so tolerant. Further one might argue that Jedi up is a perfect response to things when the conversation gets heated as yours and Silas did. Because a Jedi should speak rationally and without name calling.

Do those things really define what it means to be a Jedi? Where does personal interpretation come in? Is your interpretation of those few limited lines of text more relevant than mine? Isn't Jediism by its very nature a syncretic spirituality that allows for the modification, subtraction or addition to those lines of text? Where does that leave us? At what limit can that doctrine be modified so as to make its followers no longer Jedi?

I find it fascinating that people can openly speak time after time at this temple about contemplating the assassination of a US elected official and no one bats an eye. And yet I use one colorful bit of language in an "aggressive negotiation" and everyone loses their mind. Do you feel you are fulfilling even the spirit of your precious doctrine by this example? Doesn't the doctrine define Jedi as guardians of peace? Do you not feel an obligation to engage when another on this board that claims the title of Jedi is advocating unjust violence?

Please don't misunderstand the nature of this discourse. I am not trying to insight undue angst, I'm truly curious as to your thoughts on these questions. As one that personally follows very little of "our" Jedi Doctrine in its original unaltered form I am curious to see if you consider that as a disqualification of me in the membership of this order?

Yes those lines are what makes up what it means to be a Jedi. One can interpret them in many ways and even dislike or disagree with them to a point. However lets not be foolish here. If one advocated needless violence and was a racist then one clearly is not a Jedi as those things fall far outside ANY known code of what it means to be a Jedi. So if someone says such things on a regular basis do you think other Jedi are going to take them seriously about a claim to be a Jedi?

Also do you not think that at a particular level of training one might expect a higher standard from a person than someone that say has never done the IP and clearly does not hold to the tenets of what a Jedi is? So can we possibly see why people might care more about YOU following Temple rules and decorum than another person?

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265078 by

Trisskar wrote: No. Because there is a "Core" set of natural practices that ALL of these various doctrines and codes have.

Just Jedi actually assembled something that reflects that. I can gaurantee every doctrine, code, and law of any Jedi School will have the same elements. Might be worded differently....but the Spirit of it is not. Just my thoughts :)

Ok but when you break it down that far to its most basic elements doesn't that define the characteristics of any one wishing to live a righteous life in balance with their Divine inspiration? Being In harmony with "The Force" or being pleasing to a God seems to hold little difference in this regard. How do you tell the path of a Jedi from the path of another? Is it just a distinction in terms? One calls that unknowable thing The Force, therefore they are a Jedi, another may call it Trinity and so they are called Christian?

More
7 years 5 months ago #265081 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Election & The Jedi Code

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Ok but when you break it down that far to its most basic elements doesn't that define the characteristics of any one wishing to live a righteous life in balance with their Divine inspiration?

Yes. Thus, "Jedi Up" means? ;)

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: How do you tell the path of a Jedi from the path of another? Is it just a distinction in terms? One calls that unknowable thing The Force, therefore they are a Jedi, another may call it Trinity and so they are called Christian?

There is no path. It's called life. You either live it, or you miss out. Whatever label you choose is just a prop, nothing more.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi