You are NOT safe and you are NOT good enough

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #264841 by
I'd type that quote by Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank Redemption, if it wasn't so overused and if I could remember it. Here goes.

"Something something ... living, or so and so .... something dying." - Red

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #264842 by rugadd
LOL!

Oh, Jedi, you warm my heart.

What are the positives we can take from this? What good information and insight can we glean?

rugadd

More
7 years 5 months ago #264843 by Manu

Brontyn wrote: If you listen to Watts, one of his discussions was in the pointlessness of trying to change oneself. The person who you are trying to change, is the one who is "not good enough" to begin with. While many would knee-jerk react to this by saying it's all pointless and getting depressed, Watts says this should be a major relief! You don't have to become a different person, because you who you are!

This reminds me also of the movie Fight Club, when Tyler Durden says "self-improvement is masturbation!", referring to the fact that improvement for the sake of improvement is meaningless. Sacrifice is only meaningful if it has a purpose.

Hating yourself for not fitting a mold is a waste of time. You don't "rage against the machine" by becoming a cog in a newer, shinier one. Finding what you truly want, however, and doing it, should be a joyous experience, regardless of the sacrifice and frustration involved. And no amount of complacency or, conversely, hatred, is going to get it done. Action, however, will.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben, Alexandre Orion, Brontyn

More
7 years 5 months ago #264853 by Rex
I love how everyone reacts differently in the light of their own existential nature. This thread honestly reminds me of a comic I saw earlier this week.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Reacher, rugadd, Brontyn

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #264863 by JamesSand
Hehe,

Obi: "Don't rest on your laurels and pat each other on the back just for your own comfort"

Folks "Stop being negative!, Don't be afraid of who you are!, Don't let others judge you"

Well, I think his point was made for him {-_-}

Though I believe I more or less agree with the "Essence" of Obi's message...

wasting the very little bit of time that you have.

Little? Perhaps my span is short compared to say, a rock, it's still the longest bloody thing I'll ever do. :P
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brontyn

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #264908 by
I don't wanna be liger poop.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #264909 by

JamesSand wrote: Hehe,

Obi: "Don't rest on your laurels and pat each other on the back just for your own comfort"

Folks "Stop being negative!, Don't be afraid of who you are!, Don't let others judge you"

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't take any issue with the assertion that we need to be active and grow and change, I just find that his motivation came from a place of negativity rather than of happiness or hope. I find that while negative emotions can be highly motivational to spur a person on the results are usually not as good as when they are motivated by positive emotions.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #264915 by

Goken wrote:

JamesSand wrote: Hehe,

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't take any issue with the assertion that we need to be active and grow and change, I just find that his motivation came from a place of negativity rather than of happiness or hope. I find that while negative emotions can be highly motivational to spur a person on the results are usually not as good as when they are motivated by positive emotions.

Donkeys can be motivated to move forward with a carrot or a stick. I prefer the carrot, but I don't deny the effectiveness of the stick either. Ideally, we learn to use both.

More
7 years 5 months ago #264964 by JamesSand

Donkeys can be motivated to move forward with a carrot or a stick. I prefer the carrot, but I don't deny the effectiveness of the stick either. Ideally, we learn to use both.

Speaking for the Donkeys...

The image that springs to mind whenever I hear this is a carrot on a string that the donkey chases, unable to obtain.

It's not hard to end up resenting the carrot after a while.

This is getting away from the OP, I suppose I'm just musing on whether motivation to achieve something unattainable is as bad as motivation to avoid something inevitable :P
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265000 by

JamesSand wrote: The image that springs to mind whenever I hear this is a carrot on a string that the donkey chases, unable to obtain.

It's not hard to end up resenting the carrot after a while.

This is getting away from the OP, I suppose I'm just musing on whether motivation to achieve something unattainable is as bad as motivation to avoid something inevitable :P

Anyone who's ever trained an animal knows that eventually you do give them the carrot, for the exact reason you stated. If they never get it they'll stop being motivated by it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi