Should jedi stay out of politcal office

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 7 months ago #259112 by Jestor
My point has always been that "yes I am a politician who is a jedi" versus "I am a political Jedi"....

I was christian before Jedi (kinda) and would not have made decisions based on that belief either...

I do not make my decisions based on what "the jedi" might think...

Crazily enough, all the religions spout 'good decisions', but what that is, varies...

So, I make good decisions (I hope) based on what I think is 'right', lol...

The minute I feel I am no longer in line with being a jedi, I am outta here...

But, because we allow for such a wide scope of what 'jedi' means, I dont ever see that happening, lol... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #259115 by
I also am a Jedi Politician...no, check that...I am a Jedi who holds political office.

In the real world, in order to make true change, you must fight from within the system.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 7 months ago #259119 by ren
You cannot both serve the interests of a group of people (who have chosen and also pay you to do just that) and also be impartial. Light Jediism just never made sense to me for such reasons.

In the real world, in order to make true change, you must fight from within the system.

In the real world the system always wins.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #259120 by Edan

Phortis Nespin wrote: In the real world, in order to make true change, you must fight from within the system.

That only works if you find a way to convince the others already in the system, and being one voice among many makes that difficult. If not, then you may as well be on the outside.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #259121 by
You all know that Streen and I care passionately about this subject, and we both believe that it is in the best interests of Humanity and the planet to have a Jedi in a position of power. This is why we call for a democratically elected Council here at TotJO to start, and make TotJO more politically involved.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #259128 by

ren wrote: In the real world the system always wins.

LOL sure, that's why we are still a part of the British Empire, right? B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #259131 by

Silas Mercury wrote: You all know that Streen and I care passionately about this subject, and we both believe that it is in the best interests of Humanity and the planet to have a Jedi in a position of power. This is why we call for a democratically elected Council here at TotJO to start, and make TotJO more politically involved.

Quite honestly, knowing what I know about your political leanings I would never vote for you for any political office. That's not to be mean, its just a fact. It brings home the idea that even within the Jedi there are radically different political and philosophical positions.

I don't believe there can ever be anything such as a true "neutral party". It just does not exist, no matter who you are you have a philosophy and a world view that slants your opinion and that goes for Jedi as well. Just because we call ourselves Jedi does not mean we are political or philosophical automatons that all follow the exact same path.

Now that does not mean we cant run for political office as Jedi. In fact if that is your leaning I say go for it, and fight for what you believe in. But also understand that even as a "Jedi in politics" there will be other Jedi that may not agree with you. However that also does not mean we cant work in a by-partisan way to resolve the issues we face. Instead of posturing and positioning in an unyielding manner we need to be flexible and bend and compromise. In any good negotiation that ends in a proper compromise there should never be a winner and a loser. In the best compromise both sides should feel as if they lost. That's the true trick to "neutral" negotiation
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #259140 by
i am not an elected politician but my job requires me to meet and discuss political issues with senators and other political people. there is politics in that when speaking on policy as well as advocacy issues. This can be unavoidable even as Jedi. I think being a Jedi helps me be better at my job. I feel better equipped to make good and smart decisions do in large part to my Jedi training.

and another thing there is a big difference between remaining neutral and just not wanting to get involved. if you vote you are already involved and not exactly neutral.

we all must work together to make change and i am sorry but if anyone thinks being a Jedi is just sitting around reading and typing essays then they may need to think about that it is good to take what one learns and use it for the benefits of others and we must work together for change.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 7 months ago #259145 by Jestor

ren wrote: You cannot both serve the interests of a group of people (who have chosen and also pay you to do just that) and also be impartial. Light Jediism just never made sense to me for such reasons.

In the real world the system always wins.

Thus the reason to do it from within...

As I (and others) are a part of the system, we can try to implement change as we feel would be best...

Even if it is something as simple as getting tires for 'state bid' versus buying outright... Taxpayers win with 'state bid'...

I do agree with your "light jediism" doesnt make sense... Neither does "dark" for me, lol...

And, if you vote, you are a part of the system, just the very first part... lol...

You all know that Streen and I care passionately about this subject, and we both believe that it is in the best interests of Humanity and the planet to have a Jedi in a position of power. This is why we call for a democratically elected Council here at TotJO to start, and make TotJO more politically involved.

And, as a partial reply:

Djivad wrote: Being that this is a discussion within a federal recognized nonprofit (501c3 status), it might be noted that, while your personal beliefs and religious identity are yours to do with as you please in regards to public office, the TotJO cannot engage in supporting or endorsing one candidate over another, nor engage in lobbying legislation (there are some allowances; it comes down to a percentage of your overall budget). This is just part of the deal when you obtain 501c3 status. If you want to lobby, you create a 501c4, etc.

As well as to say, we (TOTJO) is not here to define the wide, wide world... We are here to help the individual find themselves...

You go ascibing jedi beliefs, no matter how profound you find them, to non-jedi, and you will find the same problems any other groups find when they do the same ( Sharia law )...

Look at the Christians upset as we remove 'God" from our laws... Had they remembered what this country was founded on, they would have not done ingrained God so much, lol...

As for TOTJO to be "democratic" we would have the same issues as the government has... Every four years, somethings change, old programs get dropped, as new leaders step in...

Obama had 8 years to implement a National Healthcare, and he got as far as he could, which was farther than Clinton... If your predecessor does not like your programs, they are scrapped...

We are placed here by our peers at the time of our appointment, this is a Non-for-profit corporation, not a democracy, and we are the board of directors...

If you think that you can do better than me, please, call for my resignation... If enough voices agree, I would step down... My ego is NOT tied up in this office... ;) I wouldnt be a sore loser, and would still contribute here... ;)

And, heck, you and Streen can go build yourselves a Jedi Website... Might be the most popular one... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #259150 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Silas Mercury wrote: You all know that Streen and I care passionately about this subject, and we both believe that it is in the best interests of Humanity and the planet to have a Jedi in a position of power. This is why we call for a democratically elected Council here at TotJO to start, and make TotJO more politically involved.

Quite honestly, knowing what I know about your political leanings I would never vote for you for any political office. That's not to be mean, its just a fact. It brings home the idea that even within the Jedi there are radically different political and philosophical positions.

I don't believe there can ever be anything such as a true "neutral party". It just does not exist, no matter who you are you have a philosophy and a world view that slants your opinion and that goes for Jedi as well. Just because we call ourselves Jedi does not mean we are political or philosophical automatons that all follow the exact same path.

Now that does not mean we cant run for political office as Jedi. In fact if that is your leaning I say go for it, and fight for what you believe in. But also understand that even as a "Jedi in politics" there will be other Jedi that may not agree with you. However that also does not mean we cant work in a by-partisan way to resolve the issues we face. Instead of posturing and positioning in an unyielding manner we need to be flexible and bend and compromise. In any good negotiation that ends in a proper compromise there should never be a winner and a loser. In the best compromise both sides should feel as if they lost. That's the true trick to "neutral" negotiation

Kyrin, would you vote for me, Trump, Carson, Christie, Clinton, O'Malley, Bush, Cruz or Rubio ?? Notice that i left Sanders out.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi