Leaders Eat Last (Leadership in Jediism)

More
7 years 6 months ago #258547 by Kit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReRcHdeUG9Y

This excellent video by Simon Sinek was shown to us in my NCO Enhancement Seminar, a week long series of classes I got to attend recently.

It's 45 minutes long but well worth every minute. (The book has so far been excellent too)

For those of you with short attention spans or lack of time, the video and the class are more what spurred my thoughts, so it's not a prerequisite for this conversation ;)

My question is: How important is leadership to you in your path as Jedi or Jedi Adjacent? Both to be the good leader for others, and to be a good follower? Do you feel this is an important aspect that should be taught? How does it apply to your life and your path?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jestor, Adder, Wescli Wardest, Breeze el Tierno, Tarran, OB1Shinobi and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #258554 by Adder
I'd say the E&D drive activity, but the S&O drive intention around the activity IMO. The former probably being a shorter cycle and thus its tendency towards dependency in the reward system, while the later could be a longer more abstract cycle used to define worldviews and self identity.

Such that the A10 pilot must have known there was a valley, as flying below terrain heights in cloud is a big no no, and there would have be current minimum safe altitudes marked to keep everyone above the highest terrain which he would have gone under if he popped out of the cloud base below the ridges. By the sounds of it, he trusted the old map and went for it!! A dopamine landscape - managed by procedures, contextualized by goals which are supported by those intentions (and morals).

Great topic, understanding behaviour on neurochemical actions!! I think his Oxytocin view can be a function of workload, such that time is not universal but a function of available time - but that presumes awareness, which implies a pervading possibility of ignorance - so that explains the ignorance is bliss angle and that genuine engagement is more rewarding over time then superficial reinforcements (no matter how personal IMO). Very interesting, thanks.

Makes me wonder if those 5 translate across to Wu Xing...

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Carlos.Martinez3

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258558 by JamesSand
Can't see the vid.

Tsst.

Sometimes I'm a good leader. :)

Sometimes I'm a shocking leader. :dry:

I am consistently an appalling follower :whistle:

Sometimes I'm "purposely" a bad leader. It is sometimes (and I hate this, but I gotta pay bills) political in a workplace to be less effective.
It is "Tall poppies" culture - If you (and your team) succeed too often and too much, others will work against you (Occassional success is fine :cheer: )

If your colleagues think you're outstripping them, or your boss thinks you're gunning for their job, it can lead to some fairly unpleasant frictions.

*shrug*

I don't know what your experience is, but in my limited interaction with Military people (Limited folks, Don't anyone take this personally) whatever passes for leadership in their training is fairly crap.

As for certain methods of motivating folk -

It's sort of cheating innit?
You can easily manipulate staff with smiles, remembering names of family and pets, compliments, good reporting, favourable tasks - It makes the [strike]pawns[/strike] people want to work for you.

Everyone is mercenary these days though, maybe you forget to ask about their birthday, maybe they make a mistake and earn a bad report - Then *poof*, their loyalty is gone as quick as if you'd stopped paying them.

As for Jediism - There is *some* overlap between things I do as a Leader and things I do as a Jedi. Generally the more subtle things.

Perhaps I'll think on it, and see if the two need to come into better alignment.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by JamesSand.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258571 by

My question is: How important is leadership to you in your path as Jedi or Jedi Adjacent? Both to be the good leader for others, and to be a good follower? Do you feel this is an important aspect that should be taught? How does it apply to your life and your path?

As a teacher i think i have enough leadership skills , that and the fact that i am a reluctant follower ( meaning i dont just follow , i need to know exactly what i am following ) make me understand that our paths are ever so different , i remember thinking that everybody is the same and tried to teach them the same things but failed.
For a good leader i think its important to realise that you must be ready to follow aswell , even the ones that you are teaching , sometimes especially the ones you are teaching.

To step back and look where you are is a good way to keep track of either proces. It does not hurt ones in a while to ask yourself the question : " Why am i teaching this ? Is this really what i want to get across? What has changed? "

It may be necsesarry to put lessons aside and to get to know your pupil better by not following protocol but to dive in their motives. Do not forget that not any of us are really ever "ready" Or as i like to put it " When i am ready , bury me "

More
7 years 6 months ago #258657 by Carlos.Martinez3
Every day the Temple changes. Part of consistently growing are the consistent change. We as Knights I see it as are the leaders here in the Temple. There's A LOT to pass if you really think about it. I WILL ALWAYS eat last but, I serve and cook clean and prep. For me Knight shoes are still hard to fill with just minimal free time little own a 100% time which, no one really has. I lead by example. Often. That has come " with me" to my Temple mentality. I think if Jedi can be more weary of attachment... we can all " line up" or share the connection better. Many hands make a heavy load light, but Idol hands...well... yea so part of leading is following. My students, it's one of my many hopes for them, they take my example and grow. Be better than me, I said it I dare my students to be better than me. In that idea we will all have the same focus. ...and I'll take second place to my guys any day! Lead on!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258664 by
Kit, ever so happy you found this / posted the video. Simon is who really got me excited about leadership, and I've actually used his work here at my job, and in other aspects of my life.

If everyone would like a more condensed version, his TED talk is one of the most watched ever, and you can see it below!

https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_why_good_leaders_make_you_feel_safe

He mentions the story about 'eating last', as well as a few other very real and moving examples.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by .

More
7 years 6 months ago #258696 by steamboat28

Adder wrote: Makes me wonder if those 5 translate across to Wu Xing...

Perhaps not directly, but I'm relatively certain it wouldn't be much of a stretch to find them in the system.

More
7 years 6 months ago #258697 by Lykeios Little Raven
Very good video, thanks for sharing!

Leadership is very important to me. I've always considered myself more of a leader than a follower but when I think about it...being a good leader can often mean being a good follower. I think leadership should definitely be taught to Jedi. We should be leaders in our communities. We should be of service to others.

A good leader is worth a lot. I've had good bosses and bad bosses in my various jobs. The good [strike]bosses [/strike]leaders made me want to work harder for them. The bad leaders made me dread going to work. Good leaders motivate us to do more for the group and make us feel safe as a part of the group.

I liked that the speaker tied leadership into neurological chemicals. It was interesting to see the link between these chemicals and leadership. I'd never thought of it that way. I know I could do with more oxytocin in my life :D

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
7 years 6 months ago #258745 by Kit
Thank you Cayce, I love Ted Talks! I love listening tot his guy talk too.

On military training and leadership (spoilered for being partly off topic :) )
Warning: Spoiler!

For me, the way I feel when I think of the leader I want to be, is the exact same way I feel when I think of the Jedi I want to be. It's a little bit of pride, a little bit of confidence, a little bit of humility, and a lot'a bit of love for those around me.

So next question, we've seen those good leaders and those bad leaders. You can learn as much from one as from the other. What is it that you look for in a leader? What makes you dedicated to them? What makes a person a bad leader?

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258751 by JamesSand
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by JamesSand.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi