What is it about society that bothers you so much?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256661 by
Theater is one of the oldest art forms in which the writer lets an actor express her or his thoughts and feelings. Zenchi appears to completely negate the value of art a medium of expression. That an actor spoke the writer's speech does not negate the message. Theater and fiction are a perfectly good forms through which to speak the truth.

The message here echoes Nietzsche. Some parts of the actor's monologue expresses my experience and criticism of popular society, but not all society. Indeed, some heroes are manufactured, some so designated deny the status, while other heroes go unsung. The speaker expresses disappointed that the manufactured heroes turn out to be merely human after all; hardly news to anyone who has been paying even the least little attention, to which I would suggest something akin to 'grow up'. Harsh perhaps, but to me the point is to be our own heroes (a definition of Jediism), or to give up the need for heroes at all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256663 by Zenchi

Alan wrote: Theater is one of the oldest art forms in which the writer lets an actor express her or his thoughts and feelings. Zenchi appears to completely negate the value of art a medium of expression.

Not at all, seems you may have missed my point, and if I didn't make that clear I do apologize. I don't ignore the value of artistic expression, I rely upon it to make a living. I asked questions for a reason, because as it seems to me the external, artificial perspective is all we're concerned with anymore, it's where many of us go to seek "truth."

I'm just as guilty as the next person. Adi corrected me on using a Harrison Ford pic holding a sign that suggested "don't vote." Turns out the pic was photoshopped, lol.

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
7 years 7 months ago #256724 by x57z12
I had a classmate in school deliver the same speech at some point (not as eloquent, but including relevant points). I remember watching him, casting a disdainful glance across his shiny new IPhone, speaking about the terrible, terrible thing globalization is.

Hypocrite.

You want to lecture on the horrible society from the safety of your recliner while sipping on your Italian coffee and scrolling on your smartphone? Don’t mind if I don’t take you seriously. Fake insight, fake heroes … those are always the others. Couldn’t be me, proclaiming the truth from my comfy spot, certainly not, after all I speak out against it!
Why yes, I do think that a lot of society is shit but damn, it’s the best shit we’ve had in a long, long time. Especially when pointing out the thread about human progress (what, with how people live longer and better than ever and such).
They sneer at society, speaking with disgust in their voice while reaping the benefits, living it, and engaging its’ very core elements. Like posting a video of their repulsion of Facebook of all things. Got to appreciate the irony right there.
Now run along, sedate yourself with the hoax of seeing through this, the lie of being different because you see. You can enjoy the benefits, after all you are not fooled by it, right?

I liked Watt’s take on this. Those who proclaim to be without ego, are those whose ego has reached the last stage of self-preservation: Feigning not be there anymore. I think it applies here to. Thinking they know and see they are engulfed in their own hubris. Proven by how they change nothing, deny themselves nothing, unwilling to give up any of these sedative things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J,

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256738 by Edan

Hypocrite.

To be fair, it is very difficult not to be a hypocrite in this situation.... we are all part of a system that has issues, and we are all actively participating in said system, and we all benefit from said system (for the most part).

Many of us are hypocrites, who shout about world peace, but do nothing to further it, or environmental destruction, but still drive our cars 1 mile round the corner. No-one is perfect, no-one is doing all they can... and I say this as someone who knows they can do more, and should.

It's not about hypocrisy, it's about the message. Don't worry about who the speaker is, or what they do, listen to what they're saying... a message has value even without its speaker (especially without its speaker). What can you do? (General 'you')

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Amaya, Avalon, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256744 by Carlos.Martinez3
I m not sure what this topic is about.
Me personally, I have gotten to the point, a very long road, where society has minimal effect on me.
My uncle Curtiss told me one time, " carlus...u know what I do with my teeth when they hurt? " naturally my reply was what's that uncle Curtiss. He loved this one because he would pull them out and yell with a gum filled smile to the teeth on the counter " go ahead and hurt there."
Crude but the point is of some things bother us so much... maybe we should... take em out a bit. I am fortunate to be a free mi.ded thinker in a sense I no longer subscribe to the common thought and therefore do not often have the common annoyances and results as being " in it" it's a hard thing. So many times its the road less traveled that I choose cuz, it's less traveled and less paved with common opportunities to stumble. If society wants to hurt and maim them selfsame so be it. You can choose to NOT follow the common trend flow. All in all I like society. I like the places I take my family, I like to see the sights and marvels of the world, but I have learned you don't have to be a mechanic to be the only one "allowed" to wave at a pretty sweet car when it passes by, or be a musician, to sing along with my wife when I hear a song we know on the radio, anywhere. We have found our own set of rules. That is one of many possible solutions I think. What's wrong with society, to me, nothing. Am I part of it duhh...but I'm not common. We don't have to be similar to the things we see. There's no rule that says WE the PEOPLE must act all like this. I give the space needed some times. Hope this is another view rather than the common.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 7 months ago #256758 by rugadd
I think building up and having to break down our perception of the world is part of the human experience. I have changed my world view multiple times. I expect to do so again.

This wasn't any more than disillusioned teenage angst to me. Not to down play how hard that stage of life can be. I was there. I felt it too. I completely rejected a lot of things because of those perceptions and feelings.

Now-a-days I am way more appreciative of suffering and what it can teach us...of the benefits of pain, hunger, and disillusion. This isn't about good/bad...it's about things flowing along a river and the dips and turns that come with that journey.

I don't think I'm making much sense.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 7 months ago #256803 by Adder
Because people forget what pain is, and the brain cannot allow that to happen else it will weaken its function in our survival. And so the subconscious has to maintain a continual sensation of discontent weaved through our perception - to allow pain to jump back front and center as fast as possible into our consciousness so we can instinctively react when needed. Like a neuron has a resting potential, its alive and waiting ready to fire up. It 'idles' in this way, and so we can 'sit' in it and view everything in that negative light, but also use it to cast aspersion where none is needed because lets be frank, it's easier to be discontent when others are as well. Because of all this it can make a person feel like anger is the most real version of themselves..... but from another point of view there is no greater hypocrisy then holding onto that tiny resting pain to the extent that we forget what real pain is and so create it upon ourselves and others to justify our fixation on it.

That is my initial reaction, and along those lines all the things he talks about need to be seen in an equivalent or greater context - which is completely lacking and therefore unbalanced and only representative of its own imbalance?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256931 by
"What is it about society that bothers you so much? "

Too much bull shit. It's a short answer but that is what came into my mind first.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi