What is it about society that bothers you so much?

More
7 years 7 months ago #256615 by Rosalyn J
Have a look here

Share your thoughts :)

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #256618 by Zenchi
Does it matter their both actors, would it have seemed as relevant and important had it been simply two plain unattractive people, talking?

Not that he doesnt have a point, but why must scenereos like this be artificially manufactured for us to pay attention? Therein lies part of the problem...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 7 months ago #256620 by Alexandre Orion
Like what Zenchi was just pointing out ...

:laugh:

... even our angst is hyper-real.

:blink:
:blush:
:whistle:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #256621 by
Society is a new-ish term used by the new age of thought.

Back in the days of my parents

.....their parents.....And so on....

It wasn't Society that we tried to appease because that goal is grand and too vast for the little niche's to truely comprehend.

It was "Community."

We stopped trying to make positive change in our immidiant community. Doing local charities, supporting our local schools, bringing joy to the old folks centers, building up strong neighborhoods.......

To instead try and change the world para dime that we barely even see.

Society isn't a burden I wish to shoulder.

But I will do all i can to help my local community.

More
7 years 7 months ago #256622 by Rosalyn J

Alexandre Orion wrote: Like what Zenchi was just pointing out ...

:laugh:

... even our angst is hyper-real.

:blink:
:blush:
:whistle:

Hyper real means manufactured?!

Oh!

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

More
7 years 7 months ago #256623 by Alexandre Orion

Hyper real means manufactured?!

It's a little more complex than that, Ros ... We'll talk about it when I get home. ;)

We don't really have to "manufacture" hyper-reality ; it is the amalgam of simulacra that absorbs reality into its own finality.

Like what Tris was saying there, no one really talked about "Society" much before Durkheim. Even the popular use of the term has come to refer to a sort of meta-entity so that we can engage in blame/praise of an impersonal yet human (sort of) figure.

:unsure:

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img

More
7 years 7 months ago #256624 by Alexandre Orion
Until we can talk about this, you might want to amuse yourself by looking up the tendency toward "emergence" in the social theory of Pierre Bourdieu ... He applied some of the same observations to sociology that came out of the work of Ilya Prigogine in particle physics (lasers) circa 1980.

"Emergence" has been sort of a hotly debated topic in everything from systems theory to AI over the last 30 years or so (cf. Bob French, CNRS).

Have fun ... ;)

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 7 months ago #256626 by JamesSand
That all the content is on facebook and Society expects to me to "subscribe" in order to be a part of it :laugh:

Is this available from another source so I can work out what we are talking about?

More
7 years 7 months ago #256629 by Edan
The issue about our 'heroes being counterfeit' is possibly that we make the mistake of believing things at face value... we see ourselves as complicated but others as simple... nobody is counterfeit, everyone is themselves, we just don't see it all. Hypocrisy is human, lies are human, but we fool ourselves into believing that other people are all truthful, when they're just not. This isn't me being all cynical btw, it's just how things are.

The manufactured nature of our lives bothers me.. the world is more connected now.. people miles and miles away can decide what adverts I see... but media isn't a new thing. When the printing press was invented suddenly anybody could print anything and say anything (legal or otherwise)... and they did.. they said what they liked then (true or not) as people do now.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #256632 by OB1Shinobi
i believe that watching this kind of "manufactured artificiality" as Zenchi named it makes people self righteous and shallow (and its just not ok to both self righteous AND shallow, at least pick one and stay there lol)

"the entertainment industry" seems like it is deliberately engineered to make people stupid
so i guess thats part of MY answer to the question; shallowness bothers me, artificiality bothers me, and the way that people with political and monetary agendas negatively influence the intellectual climate of popular culture bothers me to no end

anyway, it was very appropriate that he began his tirade with the words "bullshit masquerading as insight" lol

this character is kind of a composite/portrayal of almost every reasonably affluent, quasi-intellectual 20 yr old in -- well in the whole damn multiverse probably which also includes all of the past and the future lol

im pretty sure that it is genetically impossible for the 20 yr old human head to be anywhere other than firmly inside of the 20 yr old rectum, though we all think we are the exception at that age lol

what is "society"?

how about "the organizational efforts of those who lived before me" ??

thats one way he/we could see it, and from that view we could say that society was the context within which his parents were born, grew, met, fell for each other, had sex, carried him to term, fed clothed and protected him for like 20 years, so that he could grow just clever enough to think that he knows better than the billions of previous years of evolution which got us up to this point as a species

he judges society as falling short of standards which society itself actually taught him to value lol

in short: he is peeing on the platter that feeds him

Relativity = we are always going to be able to say "things are not as good as they could be" or even "things are not as good as they SHOULD be"

because things are relative and we can recognize that gradation of "worse" to "better" it is possible to envision a "better" version of whatever we have, including "society"

now you can choose to despise the very thing which bore you into being if you want to, but a more useful option is to accept your own responsibility in making positive change, pick up the torch and learn to participate with society in a way that you yourself know to be fair and ethical

dont just be a critic of what you think is wrong, be an example of how to do things right

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Zenchi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi