White Privilege

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #240288 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic White Privilege

Goken wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: ...as legal citizens, everyone should "start at the line"

Should is the important part of that sentence though. One would have a difficult time proving that we all do.

OB1Shinobi wrote: ...but i see the "white privilege" as just another face of racism, bigotry, and a threat to actual racial equality, and that is the position i take

It is, to an extent. One that I do grow weary of, but that doesn't mean that "white privilege" doesn't actually exist. Just that those talking about it need to be careful not to blame all white people for it's existence. But to pretend that it doesn't exist is foolish.

1: yeah, we dont
my gripe is that complaining that some of us do is not the same as working to bring the others up

its like literally if you have an actual running race and some people have to start behind other people, dont move the line backwards and make the run harder for everyone, take the ones who are behind, and move them forward

2:

OB1Shinobi wrote: and every scrap of being correct about anything convinces them they are correct about everything, and they become unable to see the world in any terms other than the strict ideological lines of "us" and "them" which they have drawn

3: since i mention ideological lines, i have to take care not to draw them myself, and so acknowledge that there are a lot of people who are new to civil rights and for them this is the introduction - this is the idea that fired their awareness to pay attention to inequality, and they really do mean well and want to make positive change

the message that i want to get across is that all bigotry is socially destructive

when people are to be judged at all, it has to be for their individual characteristics, and even these have to be understood from within their own personal contexts

EDIT
i often post, and then as i read my post i either notice a mistake or i realize an idea that i forgot to mention, or that just belongs, and then i go and do an edit
sometimes when i do this, i notice a "thank you" to the original post, which happened here, and i always wonder if the person feels tricked lol
no trickery was intended!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #240301 by
Replied by on topic White Privilege

OB1Shinobi wrote: EDIT
i often post, and then as i read my post i either notice a mistake or i realize an idea that i forgot to mention, or that just belongs, and then i go and do an edit
sometimes when i do this, i notice a "thank you" to the original post, which happened here, and i always wonder if the person feels tricked lol

:laugh: I often have that fear. That's why I don't frequently edit my posts but rather make new ones. Since the "Thank you" was mine this time I can say I did not feel tricked. This time. :evil: :laugh:

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #240388 by OB1Shinobi
im sure people are getting tired of this thread

i think this will be my last post here for a while, unless someone else responds or i see something new that hits my BLABBER-MOUTH BUTTON

heres an excerpt from http://thisisthinprivilege.org/ a website dedicated to explaining THIN privilege

"Fat shaming of a fat club dancer on Facebook

I just saw this on my Facebook feed and it’s upsetting. It’s something that my cousin’s wife posted and it’s a video of a fat, black woman twerking on stage at some club. The comments in the FB are harshly fatphobic and degenerating towards this woman who was probably out and having a good time."

"Thin privilege is being able to dance anywhere without being recorded and ridiculed on Facebook without your knowledge. Thin privilege is not having to put up with degrading insults on social media about your body type."

so, i like this example because it illustrates one of the points i am making in a different context

EVERYONE should be able to dance at a club withoutbeing recorded and made fun of - but this isnt something to shame thin people for, this is something to shame the b**ch with the camera for - and the people who said mean things on facebook

in general, PEOPLE OF EVERY RACE who are attractive, intelligent, articulate, affluent and have friendly personalities and good social skills, seem to enjoy a much greater level of privilege than unattractive poor people with low I.Q's, grumpy dispositions and underdeveloped social skills

pretty-smart-healthy privilege

of course you can make the argument that "the institution supports your privilege" and thats true, but if your side "wins" then the institution will support YOUR privilege and accept YOUR VERSION of discrimination, which may be better FOR YOU, but is not actually BETTER

you know who else really gets a lot of privileges?

people with homes

its hard to find a group more discriminated against than homeless people

transgender may be one - i say "may be" because i used to live in austin tx and in many places in that city, it seemed more acceptable (to me as a homeless person) be trans than to be homeless

as someone who was homeless for several years, i can tell you, no one wants you around
everywhere you go people with homes judge you and mistrust you and treat you like crap
they call the police on you and the police come and harass you

if a bunch of people with homes want to hang out at a coffee shop, they dont necessarily have to pay - i mean you can try this on your own, get some friends together, like four or five, and have one of them go to a coffee shop and buy a cup of coffee, then wait for the rest of the group at a table outside

i bet that youll all be allowed to sit at the table

but if this was a homeless group someone would come out of the shop as soon as new people started showing up and they would run you off real quick - like they will let just the one sit there if he/she bought something and MAYBE two if they were a really nice (or afraid) but once a group of homeless people start to gather most likely no one will even come out, the cops will just show up

then depending on the particular cops involved, they will either tell everyone to leave, or theyll demand ID (which most dont have) and want to run names and see if they can get an arrest

"the institution" definitely supports this - all people with homes benefit from "people with homes privileges" and many - probably most - participate in discrimination against the homeless or at least allow it to happen as a result of their silence

i was able to change being homeless (though very many are not) and i acknowledge there is a difference

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #240392 by

Goken wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: EDIT

:laugh: I often have that fear. That's why I don't frequently edit my posts but rather make new ones. Since the "Thank you" was mine this time I can say I did not feel tricked. This time. :evil: :laugh:

I edit a bajillion times, but as soon as I see that first "thank you" I stop. I don't want people to say "that's not what I was saying thank you about!!" It's nice to see other people have a version of that xD

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 11 months ago #240481 by ren
Replied by ren on topic White Privilege

I can appreciate where this sentiment is coming from, but I'm not really sure it can be called discrimination. People of color don't have the institutional power to systematically exclude white people from anything.

As a white straight guy, If I discriminate against non-whites, non-straights, and non-guys in anyway, I will face severe legal punishment. However, non-whites, non-straights and non-guys can discriminate against me all they want without fear (and of all these people, gay dudes seem to be the only ones who don't)(So thank you guys).

If I dare work hard and live long enough to enjoy the fruit of my labor, I will be part of the most hated group of people on earth.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Yugen

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #240492 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic White Privilege

I can appreciate where this sentiment is coming from, but I'm not really sure it can be called discrimination. People of color don't have the institutional power to systematically exclude white people from anything.

I understand your comment, however most white people don't have the institutional power to systematically exclude others either. The majority of us are not 'the institution', we're people trying to get along too.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi, Yugen

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #245760 by
...That this topic even exists are one of the resons I don't really am active, (primarly that i suck on being activeon forums but eh)
even if we would say that black and people of color was discrimnated, not being discriminated is hardly privlage, privlage comes from money, race or gender are just a tool to force you down, black people, woman, men, white people, in one way or another everyone is discriminated against by society. racism exist becouse you allow yourself to be a bitch about it. every bias can be dissproven, if you can't dissprove it..maybe there is something behind it, peace

More
7 years 5 months ago #265067 by OB1Shinobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoHAG9UFaKI

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265070 by
If anything, Obama made it worse. Romney wluld have been a better President than Obama, and a "Black" President only led to more race hate.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265084 by Yugen
Replied by Yugen on topic White Privilege
Okay, so let's say that white privilege is a thing. In some cases white people are chosen before others, just because of their skin.

If that is how it is, the ones we should be focusing on are the (biased) people who choose the white people over another skin color, not the people getting chosen (as in regards of 'feeling guilty'). Deal with racism at it's core

That's my view :')

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Yugen.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi