White Privilege

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #237994 by OB1Shinobi
White Privilege was created by OB1Shinobi
the problem i have is this: it is obvious that racism exists and that it has historically favored whites

its clear to me that there are still residuals of this and that they can be pretty strong

and as long as this is the case, the "white privilege" crowd has some legitimate points in their rhetoric arsenal

but they are not new points, and they are not being used in any productive way, and i cant get away from the feeling that this "white privilege" movement is mostly just a bunch of self righteous internet finger pointers, who are have shown up late as hell to the party, and havent brought anything to it except insults for the host and home

youre not saying anything new or clever, or useful

youve found a slogan and youre bashing people over the head with it, but its not going to do spit to actually change the socio eco status of -- anyone -- which is the real issue anyway, as it is socio economic status that matters in america much more than race

being darker than milk may make it more difficult to improve ones SES in many instances, i dont see how using new catch phrase is going to change that

the problem isnt that white people have too much privilege, the problem is that there are still many places where darker people dont have enough privilege, but this movement isnt really about fixing that it seems to me, and its more likely to make racial tensions worse than better - it doesnt heal and it isnt making opportunity more accessible - all it does is bitch

this is a discussion going on in my sociology class and i would be interested in re-visiting this topic if people are able to do it without getting TOO crazy towards each other

which i promise to be respectful towards anyone who posts here
thanks

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 week ago #237996 by
Replied by on topic White Privilege

OB1Shinobi wrote: the problem isnt that white people have too much privilege, the problem is that there are still many places where darker people dont have enough privilege..

I'm not sure that there's much of a difference, especially to those who have less.

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #237999 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic White Privilege

Goken wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: the problem isnt that white people have too much privilege, the problem is that there are still many places where darker people dont have enough privilege..

I'm not sure that there's much of a difference, especially to those who have less.

so one common example used is being stopped by the police - a black guy is more likely to be stopped than a white guy

well, taking away "white privilege" would mean the police should be pulling over the white guy for no good reason

whereas enhancing black privilege would mean leaving the black guy alone unless the officer really had a better reason to stop him than his skin color

which is exactly what real civil rights activists have been working towards for decades, including the privileged white ones

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 week ago #238027 by
While race certainly has played a role in this issue historically in America, I believe it is any privilege that is problematic. Those with power and privilege can influence the world around them to their benefit, regardless of race. Rich white people can exploit poor white people just as easily as they can black people. The minority communities in this country have had a difficult history due to the ruling class being predominantly one race, but a time will come when white people are no longer the majority. It has already happened in many Southwestern states including most of Southern California where I live. When this new majority begins to gain more wealth and privilege, the tables will turn the other way. It may take a thousand years, but it will happen. When it does, will we speak of Hispanic privilege? As you point out, I'd rather we all be privileged to share this planet and stop making it about division.

More
8 years 1 week ago #238031 by Eleven
Replied by Eleven on topic White Privilege
Are we certain nowadays it's really about race? Even when I sit back and observe people I think it's more of what do I have a right 2 and what am I entitled to. No doubt there is racism in the world and I don't want to pretend it doesn't. It's like this silly business about McDonald's people feel like they're entitled to $15 an hour can I don't mean open a can of worms but that's something we can sit here and debate about 2. But if you want to be honest with ourselves I definitely think there is some favoritism in our society but I think social media Hollywood and a lot of other organizations or trying to blank that out. Will be successful probably not I wish you would but more or less I wish we could just all get along and accept our differences. And if you really look at it it really isn't any difference at all just skin color what was that one guy who's always said can't we all just get along

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 week ago #238047 by
Replied by on topic Re:White Privilege
I have no doubts about the existence of white privilege and male privilege. I believe, and for argument's sake let's assume, that the biggest perpetuators and offenders are people in positions of authority. Then what can the common man do about it? My own path is not one to a position of authority, and for those who make that their goal can they get to that position with their morals and goals in tact?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

More
8 years 1 week ago #238048 by Eleven
Replied by Eleven on topic White Privilege
I think it's a great question Magnus I guess another question to answer your question with a question is how much are you willing to pay for authority? Or a position with authority over others if that makes it more clear? What are we all willing to pay? And it's not something everyone is willing to pay or really understands the price for that matter

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #238049 by
This issue right here is one that is stomping the crap out of the American psyche right now.

At the moment, I feel as if the problem sits in our education system. Mainly because a lot of minority kids just don't have access to a solid and reputable education. As the saying goes "give a man a fish and he will eat for a night. Teach a man to fish and he's fed for life." If a HS diploma actually taught people anythinhg these days, the debate about free college wouldn't exist. We need to improve our K-12 system before we even think about touching college.

If we increased access to legitimate education, stereotypes about minorities would eventually start to erode, and everybody truly regardless of creed or background would have a shot. Instead, people want to literally erase military recruitment by giving everyone free college.

I can guarantee from experience that 75-85% of junior military members joined to get college. If not entirely for that, than a majority for it. But if that goes away, we'd have to bring back the draft.

I digress, you can't kill a weed by mowing over it and making it look pretty. You have to pull it at the root. To start, fixing our K-12 system would be a good start.
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 week ago #238052 by
Replied by on topic Re:White Privilege
To fix that we have to start paying the teachers, and find a more intensive metric than "are the students making good grades" and standardized testing. K-12 is more propaganda than learning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 week ago #238056 by
Yeah this whole white privilege thing, making whites feel guilty, is just ridiculous and relates to Yabu's divide and conquer thread. It's an excuse given to those to continue to play victim, and a politically correct 'do not cross' enforcement tool for others to stop a form of expression due to fear of stepping on toes or being persecuted as a racist or whatever. Today it's used to rile up the BLM useful idiots as Lenin would call them because statistics prove that most problems for blacks today are black on black crimes and situations, and also keeps the lower-middle class white person bottled up even though color of skin doesn't matter the same system takes advantage of everyone so instead of coming together and looking at the situations with healthcare, education, whatever, they'll just fight each other while old, mostly white men in $5,000 suits keeping stuffing their mattresses and digging underground shelters for the coming war.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi