A path before/alongside jediism?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #226856 by
Replied by on topic A path before/alongside jediism?

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Yes, i agree somewhat. Your talking about the concept of infinate regession. But by simply inserting "Jediism" into the gap of our lack of knowledge arent you actually taking solace in the very thing you claim to despise? That thing being faith? You are inserting a philosophical concept to bridge your gap of knowledge - the very definition of faith.

Eh. Idk. Most of what we know about the universe is theory anyway, but I don't consider it faith, just math or math that we're in the process of working out. The Big Bounce seems likely to me. And someday, the proof of how everything works will be there because that's how science works. If something came along that proved Jediism was totally false with math, I'd accept that. I don't really see that happening because Jediism is pretty flexible. But I guess anything can happen, right? I've let go of things because of evidence before. It doesn't make it less painful to deal with, and if I was forced at gunpoint to leave the forum and never return, I would (and it would make me miserable, because I like you all). But there it is.

I want reality, even if it's ugly.

Edit: it's also rather hypnotic, what the physicist said in Mindwalk, about there being space between atoms, that we're always exchanging atoms with everything else, that we're all part of a huge, living organism together (paraphrasing of course). I'd like to see science deal with that one. That's at the heart of my attachment to Jediism as well. To me that is "the Force", the unity in the giant whatever-it-is and isn't based on faith in the slightest, but still more science.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #226859 by
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2012/07/the-big-bang-or-the-big-bounce-new-math-points-to-a-continuum.html&ved=0ahUKEwii_prhq-TKAhXHbSYKHYz8B6MQFggmMAM&usg=AFQjCNEFxdSnMav0HbCVjWxgwX1FY3YWwg&sig2=IMZ8VrbiQyxBsLMXA4sGpw

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #226869 by
The title of this thread presents a great topic. I'm not terribly surprised to see that many who responded have traversed through several spiritual traditions.

The same is true for me. I was raised in Protestant Christianity, and during my first year of college embraced it with a passion - but then became disillusioned, and for a long time was agnostic. After that period, some remarkable events occurred in my life over a period of about three years; I became involved in a New Thought / New Age tradition, which open further doors to lighter encounters with Hinduism, Buddhism, Spiritualism, and Paganism.

I find that aspects of the segment of these traditions in which I was deeply and passionately engaged seem to be permanently embedded in my psyche, so I'd say that my own spiritual path at present is a blend of Jediism, Christianity, Spiritualism, and a smidge of those New Thought and Pagan teachings that don't seem to live beyond the boundaries of reality. It's a blend that works well for me, though probably sounds as mixed up as bread crumbs in a meatloaf to some people. :cheer:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #226881 by
It's so incredibly interesting to see the variety of paths members on here have been on! Seems like we have quite a few Buddhists (not too surprising).

I myself grew up with great influence from my mother, who considers herself a member of Church Universal and Triumphant (CUT). I'm not entirely sure what the religion itself is called, but it's a branch of Theosophy (somewhat similar to Universal Unitarianism). She engaged me in the teachings of that church with emphasis on Christianity, Hinduism, and Shamanism.

Eventually, I fell out of that religion because I did some research on CUT and found out some things I wasn't thrilled with. Apparently it found itself in a controversy back in the 80's and 90's and was accused of being a cult. I'm also not a fan on how dogmatic some of their beliefs are.

After that I sort of stumbled along with my faith. A friend eventually told me I fit the definition of a pantheist pretty well. I did some research and felt the same, so took that label on. Then I found Jediism, which still works with my beliefs quite well, possibly even better than any other labels I've held ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #226943 by

Snowy Aftermath wrote: Eh. Idk. Most of what we know about the universe is theory anyway, but I don't consider it faith, just math or math that we're in the process of working out. The Big Bounce seems likely to me. And someday, the proof of how everything works will be there because that's how science works.

Edit: it's also rather hypnotic, what the physicist said in Mindwalk, about there being space between atoms, that we're always exchanging atoms with everything else, that we're all part of a huge, living organism together (paraphrasing of course). I'd like to see science deal with that one.

Actually, as I'm sure you’re aware, scientists don't use the term theory in the same way we commonly do in everyday language. Theory is based on an overwhelming amount of fact and experimentation in pursuit of proof of a hypothesis. It is not until after a hypothesis passes all these components that it gets to be called a Theory. Scientific "Theories" are actually the height of excellence.

And actually the idea that there is space between atoms comes from science so I'm not sure what you mean by wanting science to "deal with that"? The quantum world is a strange one. In face there really is no space between atoms - that is until we observe the atom. Before that they are what could be considered solid. The components of the atom are in a state called superposition - meaning they are everywhere at once. This makes the nucleus as large as the first orbit of its electrons and the electrons form a shell around that nucleus - until we observe it. At that point it collapses in to a single position and becomes what we would classically characterize as an atom.

That's just one aspect of the strangeness of the quantum world lol! For me it’s actually the science itself that is stranger than what any spiritual worldview could ever come up with. Science provides a tangible explanation (no matter how strange it is) for the nature of the universe. They say we can never understand God. Well I think we will never fully understand Nature itself so why insert a God into the mix? It seems to muddle the waters. For me the Universe IS God. Actually I refer to it as Goddess because of the stunning creative forces and unbounded potential for destruction inherent within. To me that is a female!

I guess you could say that it’s these strange forces and interactions themselves that I find unbounded beauty in; that and the idea that we are truly the stuff of stars. We are all the exact same "Stuff". In fact the ratio of elements we find in the universe is the exact same ratio we find in the individual human body. The fact that we are a reflection of the universe itself fascinates and amazes me. To me that is Deity. And it’s not something to be blindly worshiped but explored and revered.

No matter where we came from or where we end up in this existence we are all on the ride together; everything from the smallest insect to the largest Galaxy. I don't know what came before or what is to come after but it doesn't really matter and I don’t feel the need to make something up to fill the gaps. Yea it’s fun to explore and I love that exploration but what really matters is that we are here now, together in this place and we need to take care of one another because in the end, we are all intimately and irrevocably connected. The nature of that connection doesn't matter nearly as much as the idea that we acknowledge that undeniable truth. :P
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #226978 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: And actually the idea that there is space between atoms comes from science so I'm not sure what you mean by wanting science to "deal with that"?

Science disproves itself often. That is how it works. Also, I'm aware of what theories are and how they work, thanks.

The quantum world is a strange one. In face there really is no space between atoms

Why are you explaining this to me? There's no need to keep giving me the names and basic ideas of how science works. I know what infinite regression is and what superposition is. Acting like I don't getting a little annoying and I'm getting tired of playing along to make people feel better. Trying to convince me that I have "faith" in something earlier is also annoying. I haven't attempted to educate you about your own system of thought. Give it a rest, already.

The nature of that connection doesn't matter nearly as much as the idea that we acknowledge that undeniable truth.

This isn't the "acknowledge that undeniable truth" thread. It was responses from people who have paths alongside jediism. And I'm starting to feel sorry I spoke up because everyone always wants to "teach the atheist" or argue about science when it comes up. Literally every time. You can imagine how boring it gets after a while.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #226982 by
I think everyone could benefit from a step back. This isn't the inquisition. This isn't an evangelical thread. No need for the conflict. We all have different beliefs or lack of beliefs and they are no more or less valid. Tolerance, forgiveness, and peace.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #226983 by

JLSpinner wrote: ... Tolerance, forgiveness, and peace.

And such are among the highest values of any tradition. Let us honor them as best we can.

Thanks for the post, JLSpinner.

More
8 years 2 months ago #226996 by Adder
I neglected science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) in my answer, but the first three were by the far the largest part of my path for the first 35 years. Now I tend to be switching over the STE to the M for most effort in that area, but as a result it's now only probably about 20% of my path - which is quite large.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227002 by
Wow...

For the record, i was not having an argument. I was having an interesting intellectual discussion. Hence using terms like "as im sure your aware". I was just trying to clarify some concepts for all reading. After all this is a publically read forum. Is it not? Anyone is free to comment and i was trying to encourage further such comment from any interested party, not just one person.

For me conversations such as this either lead me to reinforce my beliefs or they lead me to modify them. I dont take them personally or as one party posturing over another. To me bouncing ideas and debate is fun but i guess not all feel the same. Sorry to have upset you Snow.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi