When is it enough?

More
8 years 4 months ago #211409 by Kohadre
When is it enough? was created by Kohadre
Warning: Spoiler!

I make what my state considers to be a livable wage, and yet find myself going through constant financial struggles because the price of goods and services continues. It seems to be a trend that the moment things begin to stabilize financially, businesses will rack up prices in order to put things out of reach once again.

I own next to nothing, all of my possessions could fit in a backpack. I am a minimalist by necessity, I had to get rid of much of what I owned during a stint of homelessness, and the desire to fill my life with excess never came back to the degree it was before, which puts me in conflict with much of the culture in my country.

I get nihilistic at times though, because there are some things I would like to have or experience, that I know I will not be able to in a time frame that I find acceptable. My workplace is a fifteen minute drive, but since I take the bus that is about a 2 hour trip one way, owning a car is beyond my financial means and will be so for the foreseeable future.

My life seems to be entirely circled around work and debt, I have no time or even ability to pursue my own interests or passions.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben, Locksley, Breeze el Tierno

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 4 months ago #211414 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic When is it enough?

I make what my state considers to be a livable wage, and yet find myself going through constant financial struggles because the price of goods and services continues. It seems to be a trend that the moment things begin to stabilize financially, businesses will rack up prices in order to put things out of reach once again.

I own next to nothing, all of my possessions could fit in a backpack. I am a minimalist by necessity, I had to get rid of much of what I owned during a stint of homelessness, and the desire to fill my life with excess never came back to the degree it was before, which puts me in conflict with much of the culture in my country.

I get nihilistic at times though, because there are some things I would like to have or experience, that I know I will not be able to in a time frame that I find acceptable. My workplace is a fifteen minute drive, but since I take the bus that is about a 2 hour trip one way, owning a car is beyond my financial means and will be so for the foreseeable future.

My life seems to be entirely circled around work and debt, I have no time or even ability to pursue my own interests or passions.

yep....i know exactly what you mean...the poor get poorer, while the rich get richer....my job is a 45 minute drive, and there is no public transit to get there, my car got hydro locked in a flood and needs a new motor which would be cheaper than buying a new car yet both are beyond my financial means....i have horrible credit courtesy of medical bills accrued during extended unemployment....before the recession i had enough money saved in the bank to pay my bills and be comfortable for 3months, then i got laid off....the savings vanished into bills, my thriftiness managed to stretch it from 3 months to 5, but unemployment lasted considerably longer...now i work for the state and while i can pay the bills , i don't make enough to climb out of the hole...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211417 by
Replied by on topic When is it enough?
When I was younger, I submitted to this conditioning. When my dad was killed, a wrongful death suit was filed against his partner's insurance. Long story short, I wound up with 100k at nineteen years old. Want to know where it is now? Gone. I mean, we have two cars that run without loans, a fully furnished apartment... But I piddled a lot of it away.

Now, I'm sitting at about 1.5k in debt. It's not as much as some of us, I know, but at my income level with a baby on the way, it's a lot. I don't even want to think about the medical bills after she's delivered. Makes me wish I'd known what I do now back then, but at the same time, spending was how I was raised. I needed the lesson it provided.

More
8 years 4 months ago #211418 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic When is it enough?
i went back to school, got financial aid, used it to buy a van - which is now my roaming aprtment, but hopefuply next semester i can live in the student housing

im still looking for steady job that i can do with the full time academic schedule, and having a vehicle makes a big difference

my judgement was that a ride, especially one i can sleep in when i have to, is better than a home since i didnt (dont) have the money for both

theres a gym near my mother's place (who is kind enough to let me get a shower and sleep on her floor a couple times a week) which has 10 dollar a month plan, also the campus has a fitness room and locker/shower room

even having a couple semesters of community college, statistically raises your yearly income by several thousand in the usa, although exact numbers require a bunch of specific details not going to get into here

but basically if you havent ever recieved financial aid then you are eligible for it if you choose to go to school

i dont know if thats even an option for you but if so then its worth really honestly considering

People are complicated.

More
8 years 4 months ago #211423 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic When is it enough?
I'm pretty well off now, but when I was 21 I was out of work, living in a closet sized rented room (welfare) and trying to get night cleaning jobs at railway stations. I knew a few people worse off then me, but none of my school friends went down my path. Luckily I had a stable family but I smooched of them as a teenager so I sort of naturally did not hassle them as an adult, and they were quick to downsize and move away anyway
:lol: :dry:

Im guessing this thread asking for advice.. I hate giving advice on this topic when its not asked for because it feels like it sounds pompous, but its just said from personal experience to assist where applicable. Every persons situation is unique so I don't mean to imply anything by stating how I approached this issue.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #211424 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic When is it enough?
Ever seen water when it rains. Ever see it when lightning flashes. Rains still there. Our focus is what changes what we see or pay more attention to. Try next time it rains as the lightning flashes pay more attention to the rain. The lightning almost disappears. Don't loose focus on who you are friend. Been there done that, but just cuz your down at times doesn't mean you stay down. Remind your self friend you've done it before. You've won before and you can do it again! Re write your story every day.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211437 by

Kohadre wrote: My life seems to be entirely circled around work and debt, I have no time or even ability to pursue my own interests or passions.

Welcome to the jungle baby!
I live in a country where the tax rate on products reaches 200%, where there is no sulficiente work for everyone, where his life and success are based on numbers; the number of cars you have, houses, travels that you made, and how many digits you have in your bank account.
I often feel frustrated, my life did not go as I planned; I do not have work and I had to change my course in college. I'm 25 years old, I'm not graduate, I do not have a car, I not even habilitation to drive one and I live in a house borrowed by my family. But you know, if you live that platonic love, that EROS (Greek), you will live chasing goals and possessions and goods and will never be happy, because the platonic love which this capitalist society took as a pillar, works like this: you love what you want, and you want what you don't have, there is no way want what you have and when you achive this you no longer have more desire for this, consequently no longer loves it. It is much better to have joy at what you have, the Aristotelian love called PHILIA (Greek), along with some EROS, because the desire guide you to achieve goals and go ahead, it's necessary too, and some AGAPE (Greek) , love preached by Jesus, where there is a related sacrifice (as when your younger sister cries because her ice cream fell on the ground and you give yours for her). Forget thinking only in possessions, live this life so "crazy" that when the time comes to join the Force, you can say "it was a wonderful life" B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211469 by

Adder wrote: I'm pretty well off now, but when I was 21 I was out of work, living in a closet sized rented room (welfare) and trying to get night cleaning jobs at railway stations. I knew a few people worse off then me, but none of my school friends went down my path. Luckily I had a stable family but I smooched of them as a teenager so I sort of naturally did not hassle them as an adult, and they were quick to downsize and move away anyway
:lol: :dry:

Im guessing this thread asking for advice.. I hate giving advice on this topic when its not asked for because it feels like it sounds pompous, but its just said from personal experience to assist where applicable. Every persons situation is unique so I don't mean to imply anything by stating how I approached this issue.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I too was once in this situation. I worked two and sometimes three different part time jobs to keep my family fed. I was given similar advice as Adder has given here, and hustled for several years; working smart, not hard, and have pulled myself up to a decent livestyle. Reliability and honesty are definitely the two best qualities to get you ahead!

More
8 years 4 months ago #211534 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic When is it enough?
I'm trying to find the link to the source where I read it(it was like 8 months ago I read it) but the cost of the ipad I think to make was like $76 manufacturer cost labor parts included, sold for like $450 or so...cause ya know that makes sense.

The most common thing is seeing companies look at the data for what people are currently paying, and when the new thing comes out, up the price a little bit more, make it just within what they are willing to pay but stretched, then continue to do that over years, and bam you have today's economy.

More
8 years 4 months ago #211540 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic When is it enough?

Tellahane wrote: I'm trying to find the link to the source where I read it(it was like 8 months ago I read it) but the cost of the ipad I think to make was like $76 manufacturer cost labor parts included, sold for like $450 or so...cause ya know that makes sense.

The most common thing is seeing companies look at the data for what people are currently paying, and when the new thing comes out, up the price a little bit more, make it just within what they are willing to pay but stretched, then continue to do that over years, and bam you have today's economy.

i always thought it was crazy that the most fundamental items of life, like beds for instance, are so dang expensive, not always because of how difficult they are to make byt because of how much we need them (or just want them)

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi