Voting for a Jediism section on there.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210021 by

Edan wrote:

Yabuturtle wrote:

Goken wrote: This brings up an important question though. Why do see a need for them to take it more seriously? Not necessarily looking for an answer, just something to think about.

Because I want to help. I have sometimes seen many faiths ridiculed by others who have different beliefs. It was due to ignorance really. They don't know enough of the faith they ridicule. Not all people on that site ridicule it. Some are Jedi and some non Jedi praise it like me. I don't like seeing different faiths dismissed or left out or misinterpreted. I mean in this day and age there needs to be more unity. We don't have to agree with everything we say to each other but we can be united. Unity is in short supply now. I felt it was strange to include other religious sections but not Jediism and I felt it was unfair, that's all. Just wanting to help.

When I was a teenager I felt this strong need to make people understand what I believed. And damn did I try.. but really what I did was but a drop in the ocean and the people that were closed minded and uninterested remained so... I achieved little (if anything).

There's nothing wrong with giving information, but my advice is not to make it your purpose because you will always be disappointed...

I know there will be disappointments. I expect it to happen but I can't stop doing what's right just because it isn't appreciated. And I feel it's worth it anyway because the information you give will reach out to someone who will say "Huh, you know this sounds interesting. I'm going to look it up." And they say "This stuff is great! I'm glad I looked into it. I'd say that's what makes it worth it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210033 by
I'll repeat what have been asked. Why do you need to be taken seriously?

Jediism is more for your own self than for the others. If you say you are Jedi and people laugh, let them laugh. You can't let that affect you. You can, on the other hand, show with your actions that you are a different person than what they generally expect and, when someone asks you about it, you can say something like "It's in the Jedi code" or "It's because I'm a Jedi", not the other way 'round.

Your examples show more than your words.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210036 by
Yabuturtle,
I commend you for your enthusiasm and your desire to support the Jedi community online. Thank you for your efforts.

Jediism as a religion/philosophy/way of life will resonate strongly with some, but not necessarily most. Some will feel guided to it and others may stumble upon it. Still others will outright reject any notion of it. The highly personal, highly adaptable and syncretic nature of the Jedi Path can sometimes put it at odds with the typical recruiting methods of other religions. While it may make sense for other faiths, door-to-door (or forum-to-forum) evangelism should not be the way of a Jedi in my opinion. I believe people find their way here on their own terms and when they are ready.

For many, being a Jedi is not about the recognition. In fact, some would say it goes against what being a Jedi is all about. We are to be mindful of our egos and remain humble. We are taught to practice discretion in all things and to refrain from interfering. Should a person's path lead them here to our Temple, we will greet them warmly and happily answer any questions they may have about Jediism and TOTJO. Should our paths never cross, that is okay too.

I like to think that the world will take notice of our actions; of our capacity to do good. Whether Jediism gets the credit for it or not, we will know that we have lived our lives with purpose.

Again, please do not take my thoughts on this to be a criticism of you or your actions. Educating others about Jediism is never a bad thing. Some people just aren't interested in the knowledge we have to share.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210060 by
I do not know if anyone agrees with my opinion, but watching some posts I think often the real purpose of being diverted Jedi, help yourself, help others ... this forum or that site, whatever. Just consider a Sith lesson we can read in the Book of Sith: When we spread the poison, we become thin and ineffective, but concentrating it we become mortal, so the Sith instituted the rule of the two, are always two disciple and master . Knowledge is so, I think if you want to bring some knowledge to the world, just bring to this forum and will be concentrating knowledge to everyone, not dividing. With all due respect brothers and sisters, issa is my opinion.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 5 months ago #210065 by Jestor

Jamie Stick wrote: the r/Jediism subreddit pretty much died when the TOTJO members left or went inactive. I also worry that, on the same theme of representation, it could become very stale if the section is all or mostly Temple members because we'd basically be posting to keep up appearances. houghts?

I am the r/jediism
Subreddit mod...

I monitor it daily...

I hoped representatives from other sites would join and have themselves represented...

No luck yet..

As has been said, we hang out at Jedi sites, because that's one aspect (what we call ourselves) that isn't debated here...

I am r/Jediism to help any wayward traveller... That's all...

No "Jedi sales pitches", :lol:....

~from the Hitchhicker's Guide in my Galaxy S3~

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210564 by
How many other Jedi orders are there?

More
8 years 5 months ago #210566 by Br. John

McNulty wrote: How many other Jedi orders are there?

I don't think anyone knows. To be fair you'd need to count the both the orders and disorders since there's plenty of disagreement over which is which.

Attachment hdc76869.jpg not found

Founder of The Order
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210573 by
My somewhat limited understanding is that TOTJO is the main organization. Are there one or two other key "competing" groups, or is TOTJO basically the only legitimate group on the map?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210574 by

McNulty wrote: My somewhat limited understanding is that TOTJO is the main organization. Are there one or two other key "competing" groups, or is TOTJO basically the only legitimate group on the map?

It depends on what you consider to be a "legitimate" organization. If you are talking about one recognized as a religion and accepted by government forces, then yes, afaik, TOTJO is the only one that is. However, there are at least other 3 or 4 Jedi groups that are serious and really abide by the Jedi teachings and stuff.

That said, I lurked around many groups, and none of them are as serious, and have a community this good. That's why I joined TOTJO.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210575 by

McNulty wrote: My somewhat limited understanding is that TOTJO is the main organization. Are there one or two other key "competing" groups, or is TOTJO basically the only legitimate group on the map?

No....TOTJO is not the "Main" organization. Actually, there is no such ting as a "Main Organization" among the Jedi. We are open and many with many variations as to how Jedi is practiced. TOTJO is just one of the many.

How many other Jedi orders are there?

www.gatheredforcecommunity.com has a pretty up to date list of Jedi Orders both online and offline :) Feel free to check it out.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi