Voting for a Jediism section on there.

More
8 years 5 months ago #210008 by Edan

Jamie Stick wrote: I have two primary concerns with this:

1. Membership stealing - By creating a section for Jediism with an implicit objective being recruiting, are we not stealing members from one forum to bring them to another? I know it's not 2003, but this was a real big no-no in the height of forum popularity.
  2. Representation - I think it might be a bigger task than one might think to upkeep a presence there. the r/Jediism subreddit pretty much died when the TOTJO members left or went inactive. I also worry that, on the same theme of representation, it could become very stale if the section is all or mostly Temple members because we'd basically be posting to keep up appearances. If we got members from other Jedi orgs to join and had a sort of inter-Jedi community dialogue, that might prove to be more meaningful.

Anyone else have thoughts?

I get the impression that the creation of the subforum is not for us to have a presence there, but simply allow existing members of the site to have somewhere to discuss it. None of us need go there.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210009 by
I understand although sorry if it was a problem as my intention was to help. It was really to spread the knowledge of Jediism and religious sites that have such things would be looked at by other members and that it could possibly generate more respect from non-Jedi who nay say against it. Some don't think Jedi are serious but if they see you guys wanting a DIR and discussing practices, they themselves would take it more seriously. It isn't so much as recruiting so much as it's about enlightening those who know little of Jediism, whether the ones that know little nay say or not. Ones who nay say know little of it usually and if they learn more especially from you guys, they might generate more respect and we can see a DIR on that forum along with the other DIRs.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210010 by
Edan is correct.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210012 by

Yabuturtle wrote: I understand although sorry if it was a problem as my intention was to help. It was really to spread the knowledge of Jediism and religious sites that have such things would be looked at by other members and that it could possibly generate more respect from non-Jedi who nay say against it. Some don't think Jedi are serious but if they see you guys wanting a DIR and discussing practices, they themselves would take it more seriously. It isn't so much as recruiting so much as it's about enlightening those who know little of Jediism, whether the ones that know little nay say or not. Ones who nay say know little of it usually and if they learn more especially from you guys, they might generate more respect and we can see a DIR on that forum along with the other DIRs.

This brings up an important question though. Why do you see a need for them to take it more seriously? Not necessarily looking for an answer, just something to think about.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by . Reason: missed a word. woops!

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 5 months ago #210013 by Jestor
Link removed...

I have done it to other Jedi sites, and so I cannot let it ride here...

My apologies...

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/faq#Rules

Stealth Advertising (Member Poaching etc)

Similarly to unsolicited links we do not tolerate the activity some resort to in order to increase membership of their own site, be this by using our private messaging system, the forum itself, the Shout! box or chat function.

TotJO cannot be held responsible (liable etc) for the content of websites to which links are found on the forum. Additionally neither is a link to another website a sign of approval or endorsement of its content by TotJO or its membership.

If you wish to provide advertising of any sort please contact a member of the Council.

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210014 by

Goken wrote:

Yabuturtle wrote: I understand although sorry if it was a problem as my intention was to help. It was really to spread the knowledge of Jediism and religious sites that have such things would be looked at by other members and that it could possibly generate more respect from non-Jedi who nay say against it. Some don't think Jedi are serious but if they see you guys wanting a DIR and discussing practices, they themselves would take it more seriously. It isn't so much as recruiting so much as it's about enlightening those who know little of Jediism, whether the ones that know little nay say or not. Ones who nay say know little of it usually and if they learn more especially from you guys, they might generate more respect and we can see a DIR on that forum along with the other DIRs.

This brings up an important question though. Why do see a need for them to take it more seriously? Not necessarily looking for an answer, just something to think about.

Because I want to help. I have sometimes seen many faiths ridiculed by others who have different beliefs. It was due to ignorance really. They don't know enough of the faith they ridicule. Not all people on that site ridicule it. Some are Jedi and some non Jedi praise it like me. I don't like seeing different faiths dismissed or left out or misinterpreted. I mean in this day and age there needs to be more unity. We don't have to agree with everything we say to each other but we can be united. Unity is in short supply now. I felt it was strange to include other religious sections but not Jediism and I felt it was unfair, that's all. Just wanting to help.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210015 by
Sorry about the link, but I will say my intention was not to increase members on that site. Wasn't trying to advertise and didn't know it was against the rules so I'm sorry about that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210016 by

My questions were not meant to be scolding you, just checking in that people had thought this through. My apologies if I came off too reprimanding.

Judging by what the forums are: a place to connect religious and non-religious people together for the discussion of religion, it would seem to me to be appropriate to have a subforum under the New Religious Movement forum for Jediism. It wouldn't hurt anything. After reading the comments in response to the poll, I'm kinda shocked and appalled while simultaneously not surprised by how much ignorance there is surrounding religion.

I see no harm, if folks are already members there, in voting for it but I'm not going to make an account just to vote... I think that verges too close to bandwagon flaming (where everyone from one forum joins another just to attack or defend something).
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210017 by Edan

Yabuturtle wrote:

Goken wrote: This brings up an important question though. Why do see a need for them to take it more seriously? Not necessarily looking for an answer, just something to think about.

Because I want to help. I have sometimes seen many faiths ridiculed by others who have different beliefs. It was due to ignorance really. They don't know enough of the faith they ridicule. Not all people on that site ridicule it. Some are Jedi and some non Jedi praise it like me. I don't like seeing different faiths dismissed or left out or misinterpreted. I mean in this day and age there needs to be more unity. We don't have to agree with everything we say to each other but we can be united. Unity is in short supply now. I felt it was strange to include other religious sections but not Jediism and I felt it was unfair, that's all. Just wanting to help.

When I was a teenager I felt this strong need to make people understand what I believed. And damn did I try.. but really what I did was but a drop in the ocean and the people that were closed minded and uninterested remained so... I achieved little (if anything).

There's nothing wrong with giving information, but my advice is not to make it your purpose because you will always be disappointed...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210020 by

Jamie Stick wrote:

My questions were not meant to be scolding you, just checking in that people had thought this through. My apologies if I came off too reprimanding.

Judging by what the forums are: a place to connect religious and non-religious people together for the discussion of religion, it would seem to me to be appropriate to have a subforum under the New Religious Movement forum for Jediism. It wouldn't hurt anything. After reading the comments in response to the poll, I'm kinda shocked and appalled while simultaneously not surprised by how much ignorance there is surrounding religion.

I see no harm, if folks are already members there, in voting for it but I'm not going to make an account just to vote... I think that verges to close to bandwagon flaming (where everyone from one forum joins another just to attack or defend something).

I understand. I was surprised too of the ignorance. I mean there some that supported it but there ere some that were just ignorant about the subject. I tried to discuss it with them with little success so I thought I'd talk to you guys. And I thought who better to explain Jediism than a Jedi after all? You would have a better frame of reference.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi