Voting for a Jediism section on there.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209945 by
No I'm not promoting this site really. I'm actually trying to help this Jedi site actually. I created a thread on another site wanting to have a Jediism section. You see, this site has many different religious sections. Everything from Judaism, to Rastafari to UFO religions. But what I found strange is that there was no Jediism section, despite the fact there are a couple Jedi on that site and are more active than the other religious groups like Rastafari. The thing is, I felt it was kind of unfair to leave Jediism out and not have a section of it's own despite having a significant population.

I know what you're thinking. Why would anyone care if there's a section dedicated to Jediism when you guys have a whole site on it. The thing is, I was trying to attract new members to Jediism. You see by having a section of Jediism on that section, new forum members will see it and might be interested in practicing Jediism which will then give them the idea to search out other sites dedicated to it, like this one. If you would like to vote, please do, as I would love to see a Jediism section there.

[Removed]
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Jestor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209979 by
Thanks for posting this!

I think being able to generate a presence / exposure for the religion / point of view is a great idea myself. But, after scrolling through 3 pages of the thread over there, it does look like it has been met with an interesting debate.

I feel like as one poster said, the forum may be "trolled" by people that see this as a joke, and in the end it may not really provide benefit to the community. At the same time though, it could lead to a few people coming to this temple, or discovering the path overall, and you could argue that this alone would make it worth it.

Oh well, seems like I ended up mumbling nonsense to myself instead of helping, haha. But I think it could be an idea worth pursuing as long as it was moderated fairly!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209980 by
I have hopefully provided some help for you.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209984 by
I totally see what you mean. There were some that supported the idea, or were against it or simply didn't care. A couple are just trolls that should have been banned eons ago but I try to ignore them. Their opinion won't change ours.

A lot of the naysayers is mostly due to just ignorance. Like calling Jediism a parody religion which I explained is inaccurate as it's not a parody of anything. I just wanted to help and it's ironic because technically I'm not a Jedi. I'm more of a Druid although I do admire many Jedi teachings. But I felt it was unfair to have Jediism left out. They made the excuse that there's simply not enough Jedi to debate and discuss but I made the argument that there's was almost no Jains or Rastafari yet they had their own DIR.

I felt if we made out presence and voted for a DIR, not only there could be more Jedi over there and here as well, but the ones who nay say or are unsure would say "Hmm these Jedi seem to be serious and perhaps we shouldn't judge so much and take them more seriously as well."

And you have helped a lot Connor and I thank you for that! Poll ends on Dec. 1 so I think we should let our voice be heard! :)
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209989 by
Wow, surprised to see so much religious intolerance on a forum supposedly devoted to religious discussion. But then it shouldn't be that surprising, the menu on the landing page has a specific menu item for the Bible and bible verses all by itself with nothing else from any other world religion liturgical texts, so right off the bat it seems there's an immediate bias to begin with.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209990 by Edan
That forum brings back memories... A long time ago I was responsible for them getting a forum for theistic satanism because the site catered only at the time for the atheistic flavour... I have a feeling I may just have banged on about it until they gave in (I don't really remember it was a long time ago)... but what I do know is that someone's ignorance of something shouldn't prevent it from being discussed.. in fact, ignorance is a good reason to discuss it... whether or not Jediism would require its own forum for that.. don't know, not been there for a veeeery long time... but that a discussion has been opened I think is a good thing.

Oh dear... just found my old username.. and I spelt it incorrectly.. well done Edan... and my posts are cringy.. moving on...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209992 by

CryojenX wrote: Wow, surprised to see so much religious intolerance on a forum supposedly devoted to religious discussion. But then it shouldn't be that surprising, the menu on the landing page has a specific menu item for the Bible and bible verses all by itself with nothing else from any other world religion liturgical texts, so right off the bat it seems there's an immediate bias to begin with.

I know what you mean but I would try to ignore those as those guys aren't the majority and some are quite open. There isn't too much bias from other religions that aren't Christian really, at least those I've seen. And there's quite a few non Christians on there, too. But I feel some are more hesitant because those people think Jediism isn't serious. That's why I wanted to post this link so that Jedi here can hopefully enlighten those who nay say and in turn help attract new members on this site as well.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209996 by OB1Shinobi

Connor L. wrote: I have hopefully provided some help for you.

KILLED IT!!

theres really nothing else to say - you showed that jediism is a genuine religion,now its up to - whoever its up to,to decide

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209997 by
I really thank everyone's contribution. There were more no's than yes's and now there are more yes's! Keep it up! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210007 by
I have two primary concerns with this:
  1. Membership stealing - By creating a section for Jediism with an implicit objective being recruiting, are we not stealing members from one forum to bring them to another? I know it's not 2003, but this was a real big no-no in the height of forum popularity.
  2. Representation - I think it might be a bigger task than one might think to upkeep a presence there. the r/Jediism subreddit pretty much died when the TOTJO members left or went inactive. I also worry that, on the same theme of representation, it could become very stale if the section is all or mostly Temple members because we'd basically be posting to keep up appearances. If we got members from other Jedi orgs to join and had a sort of inter-Jedi community dialogue, that might prove to be more meaningful.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi