Does "evil" exist?

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 9 months ago #197707 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Does "evil" exist?

Streen wrote: I believe it exists, simply because we're talking about it. Even if everything is relative, and all ideas of morality are subjective, we still have the concept called Evil. So, at least in that sense, it exists.

Illusions, no matter how they are based in reality, are real one way or another.

By that logic, God exists...

And unicorns...

Right?

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 9 months ago #197708 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Does "evil" exist?
I get what you are saying, lol....

I am simply asking, is it simply opinion, or something we agree on?

:lol:....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197725 by
Replied by on topic Does "evil" exist?
To declare that an action is evil, we much attach that value judgement to some desired outcome. "The antelope wishes to continue living and not to suffer; thus the actions of the lion that disembowels the antelope are evil."

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #197749 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Does "evil" exist?
the danger in viewing evil as "a matter of perspective" is that this view is only tenable from the safety of the mountain top

if you take four index card sized slates, red, black, blue, and green, and place them at the same height several feet apart from each other, under certain lighting and from a certian angle, i.e. from a certain perspective, they will all appear to be the same color

what the true colors of the world are, we, as humans, are not biologically equiped to percieve - what we percieve is limited by our physiology

since we cant percieve it all, there is no way that we even have the appropriate context from which to judge the bit that we CAN percieve - at least not beyond the parameters of saying "this is our perspective"

therefore we can say that the whole world and the whole universe and as far as we are concerned all of existence itself is nothing more than "a matter of perspective"

when it comes to colors, lets say red and green, these have a functional and important application (stop lights) and if you get these interpretations wrong it can result in "catastrophic" consequences

consequences whch could involve multiple families for instance

red and blue is also color combination that is pretty important, especially if it presents itself in the guise of flashing lights

if a bug bites you and its a little bit red, thats to be expected - it a bug bites you and it turns black, you have a problem

and so on and so forth

what im saying here is that to claim "its just a matter of perspective" doesnt really say anything at all because PERSPECTIVE IS ALL WE HAVE

i think one of the difficulties in the discussion (not just here but generally in discussions about EVIL) is that we all are saying the same word but we all have our own associations and experiences and references from which we draw our conclusions - lol our own perspectives - and though we use the same letters we are not all speaking of the same thing

personally, i use the word EVIL in the context of human beings treating other human beings in such horrible ways that even to say "horrible" doesnt quite express either the depth of degradation OR the element of genuine danger such a thing poses - the danger especially is that (as has been said) "good men do nothing" and the evil triumph

because "evil" is only a perspective

something to be careful is that often the word itself is used for evil purposes - "we are the just and the good and they are the evil enemies"

i think that because this has happened so much, many people are suspicious of the word and i think thats good

the "axis of evil" as declared by the guy who told us that the important question was this; "is our children learning?"

so its not useful to just throw the word around because you dont like another culutre - often this is just bigotry and ignorance, or outright manupulation

this does not mean there is no validity to the concept however

also its recurring to see the example of natural predation

some of the most shiver inducing images i have in my memory to this effect have to do with insects and parasites and how they treat thier prey or their hosts

basically it can be summed up by saying "no regard to the identity or value of the other whatsoever"

like Euryplatea nanaknihali fly or the "zombie wasp"

http://www.livescience.com/21326-smallest-fly-decapitates-ants.html

http://www.ticotimes.net/2014/10/04/the-zombie-wasp-that-gives-alien-spiders-nightmares

we are not physically capable of percieving the entirety of reality - we are not likely even capable of conceptualizing it

this understanding should keep us humble in regards to the certainty of our judgements

but we DO exists, so far as we can tell, and we DO have to live

and so what we do is come up with functional things and useful ideas, which may not be ultimately TRUE, but again, are functional and useful

and this, imo, is where EVIL comes in to play

pt 2 later :-)

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197750 by
I'm not saying that evil is "just a matter of perspective". I'm saying that all actions exist independent of their contexts, and they only have labels when applying that context. Evil means something different to every person alive. But, each of us has to make that distinction, and also understand that the same perspective may not apply to the next person.

Simply viewing actions as actions with consequences can lead us to make decisions not based on some arbitrary value but rather what is in our hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197752 by
A lot of things didnt exist before humans.

God and unicorns amongst them.

The former is depending a lot upon that which your personally believe of course, but still...

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #197757 by OB1Shinobi
or computers

careers

art

love, perhaps (i dont really think love is limited to humans but some do)

underwear didnt exist before human beings but some of you are wearing it :-P

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/concept-evil/

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197758 by
Thats my point.

And for a long time, things were just concepts, parts of the imagination, mind, perspective,etc.

The airplane was just part of someones imagination once.

Those with the right perspective brought it into being.

Not unlike discovering we were not the center of the universe.

Someone had to have the right perspective.

So, when saying it is just a perspective, judgement, or label, are people trying to take away value from it, or give it?

I am not sure, because by themselves that has no relevance to existence necessarily.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197760 by
Does it exist? yes

it is a word made up by humans
the origins of the word and its definitions are still rooted in the relationship to behavior
with some parts of the definition still rooted in damnation

Does evil exist? yes
as a concept
not found in the dictionary, as one half of a set of opposites

when they are face to face so to speak like the Taoist symbol, harmony
when they are back to back and pulling away, disharmony

both a force in nature

from the point that both the word evil and the concept evil are made up, then evil does not exist

from the point of . . from nothingness, there was one, then two . . . any two opposites can be put at the point of
two for a creation story or creative forces

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #197768 by OB1Shinobi

OB1Shinobi wrote: the danger in viewing evil as "a matter of perspective" is that this view is only tenable from the safety of the mountain top

if you take four index card sized slates, red, black, blue, and green, and place them at the same height several feet apart from each other, under certain lighting and from a certian angle, i.e. from a certain perspective, they will all appear to be the same color

what the true colors of the world are, we, as humans, are not biologically equiped to percieve - what we percieve is limited by our physiology

since we cant percieve it all, there is no way that we even have the appropriate context from which to judge the bit that we CAN percieve - at least not beyond the parameters of saying "this is our perspective"

therefore we can say that the whole world and the whole universe and as far as we are concerned all of existence itself is nothing more than "a matter of perspective"

when it comes to colors, lets say red and green, these have a functional and important application (stop lights) and if you get these interpretations wrong it can result in "catastrophic" consequences

consequences whch could involve multiple families for instance

red and blue is also color combination that is pretty important, especially if it presents itself in the guise of flashing lights

if a bug bites you and its a little bit red, thats to be expected - it a bug bites you and it turns black, you have a problem

and so on and so forth

what im saying here is that to claim "its just a matter of perspective" doesnt really say anything at all because PERSPECTIVE IS ALL WE HAVE

i think one of the difficulties in the discussion (not just here but generally in discussions about EVIL) is that we all are saying the same word but we all have our own associations and experiences and references from which we draw our conclusions - lol our own perspectives - and though we use the same letters we are not all speaking of the same thing

personally, i use the word EVIL in the context of human beings treating other human beings in such horrible ways that even to say "horrible" doesnt quite express either the depth of degradation OR the element of genuine danger such a thing poses - the danger especially is that (as has been said) "good men do nothing" and the evil triumph

because "evil" is only a perspective

something to be careful is that often the word itself is used for evil purposes - "we are the just and the good and they are the evil enemies"

i think that because this has happened so much, many people are suspicious of the word and i think thats good

the "axis of evil" as declared by the guy who told us that the important question was this; "is our children learning?"

so its not useful to just throw the word around because you dont like another culutre - often this is just bigotry and ignorance, or outright manupulation

this does not mean there is no validity to the concept however

also its recurring to see the example of natural predation

some of the most shiver inducing images i have in my memory to this effect have to do with insects and parasites and how they treat thier prey or their hosts

basically it can be summed up by saying "no regard to the identity or value of the other whatsoever"

like Euryplatea nanaknihali fly or the "zombie wasp"

http://www.livescience.com/21326-smallest-fly-decapitates-ants.html

http://www.ticotimes.net/2014/10/04/the-zombie-wasp-that-gives-alien-spiders-nightmares

we are not physically capable of percieving the entirety of reality - we are not likely even capable of conceptualizing it

this understanding should keep us humble in regards to the certainty of our judgements

but we DO exists, so far as we can tell, and we DO have to live

and so what we do is come up with functional things and useful ideas, which may not be ultimately TRUE, but again, are functional and useful

and this, imo, is where EVIL comes in to play

pt 2 later :-)

one of the main points of all that was this: we very likely are not actually be capable of determining or comprehending the full scope of what is real

or for that matter, even of what REAL is

several others have hit upon this and basically have said

IT IS REAL BECAUSE IT IS DESCRIPTIVE OF REAL EXPERIENCE

so then the question shifts from "is evil real?" to "is the idea of evil FUNCTIONAL?"

and i think yes it is - but i also concede that we may be ready for a new conceptualization

the word EVIL is inherently moralistic in nature and legacy

as a modern person i have the perspective to be able to see us more in terms of optimal physical and psychological health than as beings of any divine or demonic orign or nature

and this is imo one of the biggest problems with the word - the historical foundation for the concept of evil is essentially in the realm of divinity and supernaturalism

demons and angels and gods, oh my

im not entirely ready to cast off the ideas of devils and gods for my own personal use, i find the supernatural to be an exoeriential and functional paradigm

but it does appear that our modern culture demands a modern interpretation

i think a substantial part of that has been provided by Akkarin, and if i may i would like to expand on it

the foundations of our need to cooperate dont just trace back to the development of culture by itself, and are not just a convenience of social order so that we can go to the movies and vote for crooked senators

our interdependence is both the cause and the result of our genetic disposition and biological evolution

as organisms we evolved in interdependence with one another, and from an evolutionary viewpoint we might say that EVIL is the act of defying the evolutionary groundwork which allowed us to develop and thrive as an organism - as a species made of interdependent beings who rely on mutual cooperation

and its pretty hard to argue with something when you put it in the context of "our bodies and our minds exist as they do because we followed specific rules during the course of our evolution and these rules, being integral to the very basis of our being, still apply today, even if our previous articulation of these rules does not"

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi