Lightsabers Anonymous

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #208822 by
Replied by on topic Lightsabers Anonymous

Almeida wrote: I'm going to get myself a Lightsaber from Hasbro, the Force FX, or something like that, since the dollar to brazilian real exchange rate is too steep, and we have noone making those amazing custom-made lightsabers.

I have two questions about it. First, some people said they can support some hitting, is that true?
Second, which color should I get? I was thinking about getting the Obi-Wan Kenobi blue one, since he's my favorite character not named Darth Vader. Does the color make any difference for us as jediists, since I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong) they can be used for ceremonial purposes?

I have no experience with the Hasbro Force FX sabers personally so I can't really vouch for their durability, however color is very much a personal choice. There are numerous images (google "lightsaber colors") purporting to explain the meanings behind the various blade colors, but much of it is very subjective and based on non-canon (Extended Universe) sources. About the only consistent meaning I've been able to find are red being for Sith and yellow light-pikes for the Jedi Temple guards (and possibly white/silver for non-affiliated force users such as Ahsoka Tano post-Clone-Wars). I personally went for green on both of mine simply because some of my favorite characters, notably Qui Gon Jinn, Ahsoka Tano (Clone Wars era), Yoda, and Luke Skywalker (Jedi luke, not whiny farm-boy luke) were all greenies.

So yeah... personal preference mostly.

EDIT: Of course, I forgot purple which is supposed to be people who strike a balance between the light and dark sides of the Force, in other words, Mace Windu.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by . Reason: added info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #208823 by

Almeida wrote: I'm going to get myself a Lightsaber from Hasbro, the Force FX, or something like that, since the dollar to brazilian real exchange rate is too steep, and we have noone making those amazing custom-made lightsabers.

I have two questions about it. First, some people said they can support some hitting, is that true?
Second, which color should I get? I was thinking about getting the Obi-Wan Kenobi blue one, since he's my favorite character not named Darth Vader. Does the color make any difference for us as jediists, since I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong) they can be used for ceremonial purposes?

I have two of the Force FX sabers (three technically but two of them are the Darth Maul saber so I only count it as one even though each half is sold separately with a coupler. My other one is Obi-Wan's). I haven't really tested their durability because I have lots of other weapons that I know won't break or if they do they didn't cost very much and have no sentimental value.

To me color is completely personal choice. I was going to buy Luke's green saber from Return of the Jedi but Obi-Wan's was on sale and he's still pretty awesome.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #208829 by
Yeah. Mace Windu's was going to be my first choice, but it doesn't seem to be available here. I'd get the Anakin Skywalker one, because it changes colors, from blue to red, but it is 50% more expensive, so I prefer to get Obi-Wan's.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 5 months ago #208839 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Lightsabers Anonymous
the force fx sabers cannot handle any real duelling, just minor bumps...very minor....the hilt itself is durable enough for duelling, but the blade and led are not. there are saber smiths that can modify force fx sabers so they can be used for serious duelling...if you have some skill you can do the modification yourself...it involves changing the internal part of the emitter making the blade removable and creating a place to house a sturdy led instead of the string of lights that run through the blade of the force fx....if you try duelling with an unmodified force fx you risk breaking one of the led's in the blade which will cause a blank space when the blade is lit...

yes they can be used ceremonially

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
8 years 5 months ago #208840 by RyuJin

CryojenX wrote: The flaw in this faulty logic is that owning a Saberforge Guardian or Ultrasabers Consular is NOT going to help me to internalize the traits I admire in Qui Gon Jinn,

depends on the perspective you use....having one can serve as a visual reminder of the traits you admire and wish to obtain, while the object itself may not help you obtain the traits (you have to work towards them) it can serve as motivation...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #208842 by

RyuJin wrote: the force fx sabers cannot handle any real duelling, just minor bumps...very minor....the hilt itself is durable enough for duelling, but the blade and led are not. there are saber smiths that can modify force fx sabers so they can be used for serious duelling...if you have some skill you can do the modification yourself...it involves changing the internal part of the emitter making the blade removable and creating a place to house a sturdy led instead of the string of lights that run through the blade of the force fx....if you try duelling with an unmodified force fx you risk breaking one of the led's in the blade which will cause a blank space when the blade is lit...

yes they can be used ceremonially

Ok, thanks. I was not willing to give it a try. I may be able to do the modification, but I'll try that in my second light saber. Another doubt I have is more practical, though. I used to practice some kenjutsu katas with an improvised bokken. Not hitting anything, just the form. Can the Force FX handle sharp movements of it's not hitting anything? Thanks.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
8 years 5 months ago #208844 by RyuJin
yeah they can be swung around and twirled etc....

Quotes:

The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #208849 by
I'm not sure how posting pictures of our lightsabers will actually help anyone trying to break free from a desire to own more lightsabers, but I'd still like to share.

This is an Aeon from Ultrasabers which was purchased as a grab bag.

I then sent it off to be heavily modified for symbolic reasons:

If and when I ever become a knight, I plan to purchase one other which will be symbolic of my journey from here to then.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #225385 by
In my enthusiasm over the new movie, I decided to start collecting, something I haven't done in ages. I used to have a bunch of original trilogy toys and such that I sold at one point. But I thought it would be fun to start again, focusing on anything related to TFA. And because Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber was included in TFA, I went looking for the Master Replica version, finding this on eBay:

Should be arriving on Wednesday :D Can't wait!

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
8 years 2 months ago #225651 by RyuJin
looks like some of the leds in the blade need replacing...otherwise good find....

that's the one draw back to master replica sabers....they use the string of leds in the blade...of course it's fairly easy to convert it to a hilt mounted led....

Quotes:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi