Lightsabers Anonymous

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202165 by
Replied by on topic Lightsabers Anonymous
I've done really well; last month I helped a friend financially, this month I helped my uncle keep food on the table, so yeah, I indulged a bit .

Attachment h5d6d09d.jpg not found

Attachment h21709eb.jpg not found

Attachment h2c2f8f0.jpg not found

I guess I've still got a ways to go on the whole materialism bit. *shrug*
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #202168 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Lightsabers Anonymous
I'd like to say something about materialism and consumerism... I used to be really bad. I was sucked in by the whole American culture. The trick is to ask yourself these questions:
What kind of light saber defines me as a person?

How many light sabers will it take to make me complete?

I say never be complete... stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may. Reject the basis of modern civilization. Especially the importance of material possession. It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.

This message was brought to you by our sponsors: Tyler Durden

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #202171 by

Whyte Horse wrote: I'd like to say something about materialism and consumerism... I used to be really bad. I was sucked in by the whole American culture. The trick is to ask yourself these questions:

I say never be complete... stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may. Reject the basis of modern civilization. Especially the importance of material possession. It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.

I had a long post responding to this explaining the deep childhood feelings of loss attached to my materialism, and then I accidentally hit the hotkey for page back, and lost it. I think I'll go cry now.

More
8 years 7 months ago #202173 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Lightsabers Anonymous

CryojenX wrote:

Whyte Horse wrote: I'd like to say something about materialism and consumerism... I used to be really bad. I was sucked in by the whole American culture. The trick is to ask yourself these questions:

I had a long post responding to this explaining the deep childhood feelings of loss attached to my materialism, and then I accidentally hit the hotkey for page back, and lost it. I think I'll go cry now.

I think that you'll find your feelings are shared here. Everyone had a messed up childhood. Even people with "perfect" families. I had the perfect middle-class white suburban family and then the divorce hit. followed by poverty and insecurity. I embraced western capitalism and consumerism to fill the emptiness in my heart.

So anyway worshipping the golden calf left me feeling empty and here I am stuck in the middle with you ;)

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #206762 by
I know this video isn't directly related to lightsabers per se, but it is relevant to the discussion I think.

https://youtu.be/mASQmEQBd_Y
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206767 by
I would love one of those awesome Lightsabers....soooo expensive though.... sigh... :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206832 by

KageKeeper wrote: I would love one of those awesome Lightsabers....soooo expensive though.... sigh... :)

Not necessarily. Though it depends on what you mean by "expensive". At Ultrasabers, you can get a basic initiate saber for $80. Then, if you feel capable, you can customize it. Over the summer, I took a black initiate saber and spray painted it gold, wrapped black cloth tape around the grip, added some misc. parts I found in my dad's garage, and came up with this:

It was surprisingly easy. All I used was some super glue :p

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206851 by
I really like the Saberforge lightsabers. I have a couple on Etsy saved as possible Christmas presents. I took epee and saber fencing but might have to look into Kendo which I only have a basic knowledge of (I took it when I was 8 for about a year).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206879 by

Streen wrote: Not necessarily. Though it depends on what you mean by "expensive". At Ultrasabers, you can get a basic initiate saber for $80. Then, if you feel capable, you can customize it. Over the summer, I took a black initiate saber and spray painted it gold, wrapped black cloth tape around the grip, added some misc. parts I found in my dad's garage, and came up with this:

It was surprisingly easy. All I used was some super glue :p

Hrmm...I must have expensive tastes then as all the ones I looked at where greater than $200. :woohoo:

I will look for the less expensive ones...$80 is definitely reasonable...I don't know about customizing though...that isn't usually my forte, and I would be concerned with FUBARing it..

Thank you for the information! :cheer:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 5 months ago #206899 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Lightsabers Anonymous
one of my sabers is an ultrasabers grab bag saber ($80) they don't come with sound, but you can remedy that by buying a nano biscotte soundboard for $60....i have a couple of obsidian 3.0 soundboards, one of which will be finding its way into the grab bag saber...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi