Helping others.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10159 by
Replied by on topic Re:Helping others.
Maybe we should look into the make a wish foundation and see if there is anything there we can help with to start. Also, there is no need to complain about something unless you plan to do something about said thing. You see when a situation occure you can do three things, fight it, run from it, or complain about it. The first two are actions the last is just pointless, so instead of just complaining start throwing out suggestions and maybe start looking into things you can do in your own community and go from there. We must have a foot in the door before we can swing it open, the door won't open itself but there are always people pushing to close it. So take that step and see where it leads you. Good Luck and May the Force be With you Br. Strji

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10160 by
Just a quick 2 cents here. I've heard that's it's easier to apoligize then ask for permission and at times I agree with that. There are times to act but there are times to consider. I have found that helping a community is a great effort and not always appreciated. In my own frame here in Bartlesville and Tulsa I have helped numorous people singularly and thru that have managed to help their family and friends. At the same time I belong to a few groups that have the community in mind and with the combined might of several people have helped quite a few during these last trying months. I can only imagine where the threads of that will lead. Always remember that even though you might not see a difference directly when you help the one, the many do feel it.

More
16 years 3 months ago #10164 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:Helping others.
As an organization I do not believe that we are in a position to do too much as far as charities are concerned, and group activities, well I know of only two members who are close, one is about two hours away and my nephew, Lizard King is in Toronto...about five hours. not practical for much. Most of us share the desire to help others and do so in our own way, I and my wife give to World Wildlife, unicef, the local good will and food bank. At work I contribute to many local charities. Our engineering office of maybe 40 people raised $1800 for the local Santa fund...Personally over the past ten years I have donated countless hours through my fire department at events, like fairs, demolition derbeys, hockey and summer sporting tournamants. I don't mean to blow my own horn but only used these items as an example, a cross section of what I believe is typical of what many Jedi here do in the absence of pure \"Jedi\" events. I have no doubt that as time passes and we grow, we will be able to do more in the name of our group.

I really like the idea of a thread where we can talk of world events and environmental issues. It will help spread awareness.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10169 by
Anora^una_Ilorn wrote:

Maybe we should look into the make a wish foundation and see if there is anything there we can help with to start. Also, there is no need to complain about something unless you plan to do something about said thing. You see when a situation occure you can do three things, fight it, run from it, or complain about it. The first two are actions the last is just pointless, so instead of just complaining start throwing out suggestions and maybe start looking into things you can do in your own community and go from there. We must have a foot in the door before we can swing it open, the door won't open itself but there are always people pushing to close it. So take that step and see where it leads you. Good Luck and May the Force be With you Br. Strji

I think that's a really good idea. We should be able to do something as a group, even if it's ever so small. Even if it's just as individuals we should try to help others.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10171 by
Could we make donations, to these organizations, in the name of the Order? Or should we discuss it first with Temple leaders?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10172 by
By the way, I found this really cool sight that all your saber building needs, or at least alot of them. www.thecustomsabershop.com
Its a little of the subject, but I had to throw that in there.
Also also, JQ lightsabers.

More
16 years 3 months ago #10173 by Zanthan Storm
Replied by Zanthan Storm on topic Re:Helping others.
Agree with Master Jon and those before him. I think that those who are close to each other should meet. Not necessarily as a church, but as Jedi who are committed to serving the world, humanity and life. Through that service we serve the Force. I agree that we should continue to log in to the Temple to learn and share. However, I think that we should meet with other Jedi to further solidify our bond; both as Jedi and as human beings.

We are in the service of the Force. We can overcome great things as individual Jedi. However, we can all agree that a group of Jedi together. Wielding the abilities we has learned and are continuing to learn could have a great affect on the world at large. We may not get the recognition, but we do not require it constantly. The positive feelings and pride I get from selfless acts of kindness or aid far outdoes almost anything else I have ever known.

To take the other side. Though we are meant so serve humanity. Should we? We can improve ourselves because we wish too. A common goal we have. Does the world share the same common goal? We say we enjoy peace and we do. However, the power hungry in the world will always come back to conflict to resolve some things. We are the defenders of peace. By invoking change can we keep the peace? Charitable donations and human relief work is one thing. I would not go further. Not yet.

To that end. It is my recommendation that any activities taken by a group be given careful thought. Something I had to think hard and long on in my trials was the definition of Sound Judgement. Before action, consider the Help you give. It may cause more harm in the long run.

Please do not mistake my words. I love serving others. My job has given me the ability to help save people and help them heal physically and mentally. I cherish it almost more than I do my love.

Again. I agree with Master Jon. Self improvement will help you help others. Just in coming to this place of learning helps you help others.

For any in the Midwest, specifically Minnesota. Lets pick a date and meet somewhere. If its warmer, perhaps a park. If it is cold, then somewhere quiet. Nature center's usually are, or anywhere will work.

Just my two cents worth.

May the Force be with You Always and Forever.

Zanthan Storm
AKA Rev. Michael Ziskovsky OCP D.Div.

Master Knight of Jediism
Founder of Roseville, MN Chapter of TOTJO

Current Apprentice: The Coyote
Past Master: GM Neaj Pa Bol
Past Apprentices: Sr. Knight Kira, Knight Myos, Doriann

"Let no one thing control your life, seek to be complete and at peace."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10180 by
WIth that said i was thinking that maybe we could start doing lots of little things in the name of the Temple, not to where we get publicised for it because that could be detrimental for our cause, esp if we attempt something here in Cali where the news reporters are constantly attempting to get new stories and who knows where they could take a charitble story about Jedi's. But maybe if we slowly build our foundation and then do something big we won't be so ridiculed by the public at large, a good foundation is fundamental for growth. Also, should our religion get to a certain size we may wish to consider appointing a Jedi council, i know that will be in the future, probably distant future but we could do the democracy thing and vote for the council, and it doesn't have to be a certain size, perhaps each groups could pick a person to be on it. Just some random thoughts, i get the feeling that we won't be taken seriously in the long run if we aren't organized.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10185 by
I agree with Anora^una_Ilorn, about organising ourselves into a council or something but it cant be big or nothing will ever get decided. I'm not sure what we should aim for in the long term with helping others but i would of invisioned us as a sort of red cross, maybe not as active because people have jobs to do, more of a toned down red cross.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10186 by
lol, yeah i could see that working but remember, just because we may be able to do something doesn't mean that we should do something. We aren't just an organization, we are a religion that isn't taken to seriously by many people, we need to start small. Work our way into the publics eye slowly, then really come out with something bigger.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi