Helping others.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10085 by
Helping others. was created by
I have been looking around, and i can't find anything about what the Jedi actively do for the world, have we been involved in any events? are we planning any events?

Because at the end of the day, we do talk about love, peace and guidance, but what are we doing to help other people? especially those oppressed in 3rd world countries and even our own?

What can we do for the world around us?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 3 months ago #10086 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Helping others.
This is a good and justified question. What we shouldn`t forget is though that we are a non funded group (only donations) so our possibilities in this sense are limited. We are also scattered all over the world, so it is difficult to congregate as an effective group.

There are however many members here who through their Jedi conviction contribute to the betterment of society: charity works; in their respective families; with friends; at their jobs... . After all charity starts at home, and who knows what the future will bring.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10089 by
Replied by on topic Re:Helping others.
We are spread out around the world, but there is alot we can all do, charity work is helpful but in my opinion not effective enough in a world that is rapidly plunging into pain and suffering for personal gain, and not enough people are standing up to be counted.

Also, i have seen a few mentions of donations scattered around the site, where does this money go? and how much on average do we receive?

Strji

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 3 months ago - 16 years 3 months ago #10091 by Jon
Strji Towoo wrote:

We are spread out around the world, but there is alot we can all do, charity work is helpful but in my opinion not effective enough in a world that is rapidly plunging into pain and suffering for personal gain, and not enough people are standing up to be counted.

Also, i have seen a few mentions of donations scattered around the site, where does this money go? and how much on average do we receive?

Strji

I value the work done very much. Family, honest work, charity... are an indispensable basis and not be underestimated. Without these it would be like building a house on sand. Also the world has always been suffering its pains, and not just now. Look at the second world war; the plague; the witch hunt; the crusades; the Roman Empire... . There are also a lot of people giving their lives to do great things. I suggest you read our section http://templeofthejediorder.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=80&func=view&id=8842&catid=51
These are to mention but a few.

As far as donations are concerned we get enough to keep this site going. If you want to know details ask Br.Tom (Twsoundsoff).

I would be interested to know what you would suggest we do.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.
Last edit: 16 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10095 by
I too feel that we could be doing great things for the world but as mentioned it can be very hard to get together and have formal meetings. Perhaps we could do something along this line on teamspeak but we would need agenda's etc. something of which i am never really good at. Anyway, i have learned something over the last few years. Just as close as last year even, i felt that if i didn't do something big the world would continue to suffer. I felt that the entire world depended on me to help it be a better place, i would cry over this and felt great depression about it but as time went on and after meeting good people here, reading books on Taoism, Buddhism, and many other eastern topics i have come to a conclusion. With everything we do, every foot step we make, we change the world around us and in doing so we change every person around us and in the end, we change the entire universe on a daily basis. there are no steps to small that will not change the world be it getting out of bed early to make breakfast or jog. Helping someone on the street (or in my case, bus). You could even change the way you live should you choose. If every household in America alone changed their light bulbs to power savers we could provide 10,000 house with energy for a year not only limiting the carbon dioxide gases but also saving a pretty penny. So, although we may not be as organized as we should be, we all try to do our best with what we have..

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10102 by
I have been thinking about this subject myself too. I think we should set attainable for now, short term and long term, the world is rather large. One way we could organize, is to develop divisions of TOTJO in various locations. These divisions would be governed by Council members who reside in that area. These councils would organize gatherings or meetings in their designated precincts. The information put out at these meetings would come down from the Order's Arch Bishops, Clerics and the Sgt. at Arms, these being called Supreme council members. Each division can put on donation only activities. The money could then be divided up and sent towards the division, division Headquaters and the various charities. This would build our public relations, get recognition and fund the web site and the building of one or more Temples/Academies. It could also foster comradery and team building among Jedi. Ceremonies can be practiced and rituals developed and academics refined. Each division would be responsible for their precincts and answerable to the Supreme Council, a chain of command if you will. Divisions can be rewarded for their organization and enthusiasm and loyalty to the Force.
The temple being built in Michigan can be used as kind of a Mecca for all Jedi to go to as a pilgrimage, or on holidays, or just to worship or meditate. Supreme Council and designated Division Masters can gather here to discuss TOTJO matters and concerns. Can even set up video conferencing for those DMs who can't make the trip.
These where just a few ideas I was thinking about. What do ya'll think? MTFBWY.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10106 by
I honestly like your ideas, some of them may be hard pressed to follow threw with but they are good ideas none the less, charity ran projects would be a great idea. There are unique groups already formed that do very similar things, perhaps we should look towards GothsHelpUs.com and other such locals for inspiriation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10113 by
Yes, i agree with alot of the ideas put forward as well i especially like the idea of actually organising the Jedi into something atleast recognisable as a religion, since so far the only evidence of us is through the internet, and that is a pitiful existance for a religion dedicated to the good of the world.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 3 months ago #10115 by Jon
Strji Towoo wrote:

Yes, i agree with alot of the ideas put forward as well i especially like the idea of actually organising the Jedi into something atleast recognisable as a religion, since so far the only evidence of us is through the internet, and that is a pitiful existance for a religion dedicated to the good of the world.

I`m sorry but I do not find our existance here pitiful at all.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10118 by
Sorry i apoologise pitiful was the wrong word, but there is alot of good we could do, alot of people we could help.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi