Fact Checking Daniel M. Jones and The Church of Jediism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #306568 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: True jedi ism has no sacred text nor does it own anything.

Tell that to Daniel Jones. Is he wrong?
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 5 months ago #306569 by Tellahane
You just thrive on assumptions of intentions you have no confirmation of don't you?

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: In your case it should definitely be most important to do those in the name of jediism.

If that was the case I would run around on every 911 call saying Hello my name is Tom I'm with such and such ambulance and I'm a Jedi and I'm going to take care of you today. At the time I'm there, they could careless what religious belief I follow and if anything it causes more problems then it helps. It is NOT the most important thing to do things in the name of Jedi for me. If people ask great, but i'm not going to shove it down their throats, that's crazy disrespectful.

I carry the title where my title needs carried, or when someone asks it of me It doesn't change that my actions are based on the philosophy whether I carry a hello my name is tag on my shirt or not.

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: You obviously care about your chosen philosophical worldview or you would not be upset in the slightest about what you see as Jones misrepresentation of it. Who cares if jediism is misrepresented as long as kindness alone is the goal, right?

You call yourself a Jedi and accepted the title of Knight from a community of like minded individuals. Your obviously proud of that and find value in it or you would not have accepted it. You want the word to spread and Jediism to grow and become respected as a valid path don't you? Then please, stop trying to convince me otherwise.

I did not take the title on pride, I took it purely so that I can pay forward the time and patience that was given to instruct me to those willing to learn from it. Otherwise I could careless about the title as it's not as important as to where I am as an individual on my path. I'm also not an evangelist, I'm not out to get in your face and tell you what you should believe in. Yes I want the overall view of Jedi to be good, yes I want to improve the image of it for the sake of all those out there who may feel lost and are looking for something that might work for them, not myself. I want it to be seen as a viable option, not out there to take over the world as some worldwide contender for religious belief unless there are that many people who feel it works for them.

If I'm trying to convince you of anything is that you don't seem to have me figured out at all. I honestly don't understand your vendetta here it's almost like your super eager to assume, super eager to act on too little information, super eager to thrive on the resulting conflict, but maybe I'm wrong I don't know. I've seen you claim your out to call everyone else out on their "BS" your not invulnerable from that either.
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #306574 by Brick

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Brick, before star wars was a movie it was a screenplay – written text. And before it was a Screenplay it was a series of notes – also written from ideas

True, but the version of 'Star Wars' that ultimately inspired Jediism and leads so many people to this site, is the film franchise. Not the screenplay.

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Tellahane, yes I understand what you are saying but still you are never going to be able to deny the fact that the box itself, the very fabric it’s made from, is Star Wars.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with that Kyrin. Obviously I don't for a second deny that we are heavily influenced/inspired by Star Wars, we're called Jedi and believe in the Force after all :laugh:. But I'd argue that most of our lessons and teachings are taken from the source material that inspired Star Wars, not Star Wars itself.

Surely that's why we have Campbell in the IP rather than a collection of quotes from Yoda? I'd say the box is more 'Campbell/Watts/Mono-myth' than 'Star Wars'. Though it stands to reason that we do of cause share many similar attributes with the Jedi in the movies.

But ultimately Star Wars is fiction/myth, and the very first thing it says on our home page is that Jediism, as it exists at this temple 'does not base its focus on myth and fiction but on the real life issues and philosophies that are at the source of myth.'

The source of the 'Star Wars Myth' was Campbell/Hero's Journey/Mono-myth.

Though I'm really getting off topic here. My initial point in this thread was that Daniel Morgan Jones shouldn't be saying 'this is what jediism is, and all jedi agree', when the wider community doesn't necessarily agree with what he is saying. Which this very conversation between us has proven as, despite both calling ourselves Jedi, we clearly have differing opinions on Jediism ;)

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane,
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #306575 by Brick

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Tellahane, Im not sure why it is that you so strongly want to distance yourself from the name of your chosen philosophy?

I don't think Tellah was trying to distance himsel....wait, I don't know, so I shouldn't really speak for him :laugh:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: The modern day spiritual Jedi evolved out of Star Wars role play groups, and a major component of the philosophy includes discussing Star Wars, Quoting Star Wars and the inclusion of Jedi robes and light sabers as depicted in Star Wars.

Now, I don't deny that this is what Jediism evolved from, but I don't believe that it still is that. Specifically that last part that I have put in bold.

This seems to be the biggest difference between Jediism in the US and Jediism in the UK. I was discussing it with V at the last UK gathering. I'm not sure if its a cultural difference, or if its down to the fact that most US gatherings involve other Jedi groups, whereas the UK ones are (more or less) exclusive to TotJO members. But in the US, wearing the robe and having a lightsaber seem to be quite commonplace.

In the UK they are not. At our gathering last year, nobody wore a robe at any point, and the only lightsaber present was Loudzoo's bottle opener. Whilst not necessarily relevant to this particular topic, I think this is part of why we are disagreeing on certain points.

The 'Star Wars' element of Jeddism seem to be far more 'in-your-face' (for want of a better expression) with US Jedi than it is with UK Jedi. Which is probably why, as a Brit, I see a very clear, and quite distinct, difference between the two

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Tellahane
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #306577 by
I can vouch for the 100% absence of robes and glow sticks at the Dutch/Paris meet up too...
More
6 years 5 months ago #306582 by Br. John
Kyrin, did you receive the book? Amazon is showing it's not been delivered so I resent the email.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #306595 by

Br. John wrote: Kyrin, did you receive the book? Amazon is showing it's not been delivered so I resent the email.

Yes I received it and I downloaded it this am. Thank you very much. I shall read it and provide a review. ;)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #306600 by
Tellahane, do you call yourself a Jedi? Do you call yourself a Knight of Jediism? Do you belong to a Jedi temple? Then assumption confirmed.

I don’t believe I said anything about evangelism. I didn’t even say you had to open your mouth. I just said you do things in the name of Jediism – even if you only keep that as a thought in your mind.

Obviously the name speaks to you in some way as singularly significant. It signifies something to you. You can tell me all day long that you would be just as happy following “Mcdonaldism” and carrying the title of "hamburgular" but it would be a lie.

You see, a spirituality can be made out of anything and labeled any way we want, (I have created my own name for example). However what speaks to you are the concepts in Star Wars and the philosophies behind the name Jedi and The Force. I’m not sure why it is you’re so vehement to distance yourself from that here?

As for my “vendetta” well, strong word. I don’t recall ever saying anywhere that my mission is to call everyone out on their BS. This place thrives on too little information. Those with the power keep it to themselves to remain in power while they treat the membership like children. My only “mission” is to see that change.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by .
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #306602 by
Kyrin, I think you confuse seeking distance and unattachment. There is nothing wrong about some of our numbers not clinging to the star wars fiction. Our version of Jedi is very much different from the fiction. I hold tightly to the fiction as it was spiritual to me before I found this temple. Nobody will meet your or my standards exactly. Everyone is different. Grand sweeping statements will never work 100%.
As for the leadership. I've seen instances like you state, true. But these cases are far and few as a whole. To classify all of our leaders as you did does no good and will discourage their efforts. Be mindful of the specifics. Generalizing isn't the route to change. I encourage you to stay the path you have stated. But don't numb the system with statements that won't help your cause. Be precise and keen. May the Force be with you.
More
6 years 5 months ago #306608 by Carlos.Martinez3
Star Wars is nearly another myth another story of every mans struggle with fate and with desisions. We like it , a lot . In a galaxy far far away ... the same things are happening there that is here. Good story telling good characters good stuff. We say Jedism due to the story's name. Some of us are fans some are much more. It's like a wise man said " we use the word like, to explain what we can not understand." The idea are simple and in my own opinion they all come down to one , we believe in the force and the inherent worth of all life . That pretty much means it puts us all at a equal mark. Some don't like that and that's ok too. Some stand on land and want to own it , dig it , develop it , some have difrent views , that's ok too. I look forward to the day we can act like humans and treat others like people and valid hearts not opposing views.
Some day ...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova