Star Wars is Science-FANTASY? What is this madness!?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #89853 by
I've always thought that Star Wars is a classic and famous example of a "Science Fiction" movie. I've always referred to it as such, and to be honest, I think I'll continue to do so.

Yesterday was the first day of my second semester Science Fiction course (what fun!) and my nerdy "SF" teacher (he hates calling it "sci-fi") talks to all of us about science fiction in general, and we all have a good time.

During the discussion, I bring up Star Wars, and he tells me that Star Wars technically isn't a science fiction movie. WHAT? He tells me it's more of a "Science Fantasy" movie, primarily because it's not so much about hardcore pseudo-science as it is about faith in the Force (and religion, magic, and mysticism, in general). This actually makes good sense, although I've never thought about it like that before.

What do you all think? Is Star Wars Science Fiction or Science Fantasy? What makes it that? What's your opinion on calling it that? Any other comments?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #89854 by MCSH
Well, you can see starwars as an old pirate thing too....

George Lucas just changed "islands" to "planets" and "races" to "creatures" and pirates to "sith" and good guys to "Jedi" and...

It doesn't include modern things.... well it does, but not as much as some others....

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #89856 by
Science-fantasy is apt. It's in the same boat as Warhammer 40k in that respect.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #89857 by
Star Wars hasn't always been classified as "science fantasy" but I believe that's only because the genre (which I consider a sub-genre of science fiction) didn't always exist. It does make sense that it would be classified that way, and I agree...science fantasy all the way.

I don't think it's as simple as a lack of pseudo-science and an inclusion of the force and jedi/sith...although that's definately a huge part of the reason for the classification. I agree with sajjad in that SW definitely has a swashbuckling element, and if you replace the space ships, planets, and laserguns/swords, with more medieval equivalents you'll be watching the movie "Dragonslayer" instead...or some other such obviously fantasy genre movie. There are other considerations as well...but I think we've about covered the "big" ones already.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #89859 by
I love the idea that the future is going to bring back melee weaponry. ^^

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #89863 by
It does stand to reason that shipboard combat would require a less destructive weapon than one could use outside the vessel...and that would lead to the use of melee weapons, at least aboard ship.

More
11 years 3 months ago #89865 by Locksley
Technically it's actually a Space Opera. :)

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #89871 by
I would agree with it being fantasy. That is if you want the extra classification. But if you do sci-fantasy is a better fit in my opinion

Williamkaede wrote: Science-fantasy is apt. It's in the same boat as Warhammer 40k in that respect.

But with more awesome

EDIT:
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #89937 by Adder
If using the genre definition of fantasy it seems to become like a double negative sort of thing to me ie; science fantasy = scientific supernatural

I think there is enough in the movies to hold it up on its own without the supernatural Force. For its time it had a lot of scifi bang for its buck. I like the psychology definition for fantasy more then the genre definition, so using that I'm going to answer its both!?
:)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Adder.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 3 months ago #89941 by ren
Star Wars is a space opera.

Star trek used to be science fiction, but now that I see lithium used as power source in the real world, I think there isn't much of it that's actually fictional :P

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi