Star Wars is Science-FANTASY? What is this madness!?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #90127 by
"Scientific Supernatural could be an interesting genre. A setting where supernatural stuff gets explained by science, like for instance, vampires being a bloodborne disease, or ghosts/spirits being broadcast thought energy. If you've seen Pulse you'll know what I mean."

Have you seen Fringe? It's like that. I think there is even an episode on some sort of phantom entity.

And it has John Noble, so everyone wins!
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90129 by

More
11 years 3 months ago #90130 by Locksley
Doctor Who incorporates a lot of that sort of element too...

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90131 by
How could I forget about the X-Files?

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #90133 by Proteus

Akkarin wrote: I would disagree about Firefly, I don't think it is an opera to be honest. It's Star Trek episodes but with cowboys and a greater focus on the characters than any overarching storyline

Firefly has all of the qualifications of a successful space opera. It focuses on travel as the crew roams the galaxy, its major plot is based around the interaction of the characters with each other and external forces, and it is not so technical that it is outside of the viewer’s comprehension. An example of the series’ character-driven aspect is s its unusually large central cast of nine round characters. Furthermore, it identifies with newer themes of the space opera: extremes, emotions, cyberpunk, ancient settings, and environmental disasters.

Read full article: http://tinyurl.com/ajnr2s6

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Proteus.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90145 by
If you want to classify the SW series literarily, it probably doesn't matter whether you call it 'science fiction' or 'science fantasy'. The terms science fiction and fantasy are often used interchangeably, depending on whether the author chooses to focus on fictional futuristic themes and technology or fictional fantasy themes and swords/sorcery.

I just thinks it's cool that you're taking a sci-fi course. Does that count toward your major? ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90159 by
Ok Proteus :P It's a space opera lol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #96199 by
I think it has broken enough physics that to be called scifi would almost insult star wars

as brought up by mr plinkett, they break the laws of physics often, whereas star trek and other scifi don't

example?
(from mr plinkett)

Luke flies to degobah from hoth in a little x-wing, no biggie

the milenium falcon can fly faster than the xwing and awing even though it's engine is in horrible shape and it was built and designed poorly

I am a writer, so I understand what defines a subject to a genre
it is a blessing that this is considered fantasy in my opinion

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi