Deities

More
10 years 8 months ago #115032 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Deities
I tend to think the experience of things like Gods are just the brain contextualizing some high order mental event in terms it understands. Whether that is caused by some supernatural energy or not is not up for me to say. It's easiest for me to classify it as being based in the Force.

So for me, worshiping God's is a type of Deity Yoga (which is about visualization and embodiment to transform oneself into that thing) and also creating a context for Dream Yoga to fulfill. I guess Jedi Deity Yoga would be trying to experience becoming some the ideal Jedi, at least temporarily but perhaps if done enough it has more grounding for effect. To me it's the same thing meant by Christians with concepts of 'following' Jesus. Then things like myth's can become vehicles for those same things, giving them complexity which can be translated across to real living individuals in their life.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #115037 by
Replied by on topic Deities
Gods are interesting concepts, I've been brought up in a heavy christian enviroment, didn't fit me so I left and explored other religions.

With paganism, they hold a deity for different aspects of existance so I would suggest, finding gods according to your priorities or something.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115038 by

scott777ab wrote:

Williamkaede wrote: what gods do you hold to?

I do not hold to any conventional type of gods. Do I believe that there is a god? Yes I do, but god to me is more than what the bible says or the koran says or any other religious text.

God to me is the underlying FORCE of all that is.
God to me is the source of all that is.
God to me is the fountain head of life.
God to me is the reason for consciousness.
God to me is the reason for ___fill_in_blank__.
God is the all.
God should not be but is.
God is a paradox.
God is everything that is, and everything that is not.

But to say God is only what the bible says. No I do not believe that.
Or that God is only what the Koran says. No I do not believe that either.
God is so much more that it would take volumes to just begin
to explain why there has to be a god, let alone who god is more volumes,
and then what god is even more volumes.

That is my opinion.

Have you ever heard the good word of Galdrux? XD

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115042 by
the book im currently reading presents an interesting hypothesis for the rise of deities in human culture:
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind

'Jaynes asserts that consciousness did not arise far back in human evolution but is a learned process based on metaphorical language. Prior to the development of consciousness, Jaynes argues humans operated under a previous mentality he called the bicameral ('two-chambered') mind. In the place of an internal dialogue, bicameral people experienced auditory hallucinations directing their actions, similar to the command hallucinations experienced by people with schizophrenia today. These hallucinations were interpreted as the voices of chiefs, rulers, or the gods.'

so far, its fascinating. i never thought to question how we dreamed up gods, or when. dr jaynes assertions make sense, though seem to be fairly untestable as its so far back in human history.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #115054 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Deities

Williamkaede wrote: I have two questions; what materials could I use to learn more about the gods, and what gods do you hold to?

For gods with established followings, you could look to the literature surrounding them--scriptures, plays, fictionalizations, etc. For example, IIRC, there is a great deal about the Greek gods in Homer's Odyssey, and the Eddas give us much information about the Norse tribes of gods.

Written source material or long-running worshippers are the best place to get information. You can learn from hearsay, but I've noticed a widespread trend among newbie neopagans and new-agers to parrot what they've heard about the gods, rather than what the source material says about the gods. This poses a problem to me (as a religious scholar) because it has the potential to completely alter the personality and nature of the deity in question. Search Google for seven websites describing Odin or Thoth and you're likely to get seventeen different characters, whereas there is a wealth of information "confirming" the identities and personality traits of Christ, Buddha, and Ganesh, (because they have had continuous worship for centuries), and of Zeus, Apollo, and Mars (because the wealth of information on them in written forms is useful for keeping commentaries in line with what's shown.)

This isn't to say that you can't find numerous other sources, but as a researcher and an academic, I vastly prefer to get as close to the original source as possible when trying to describe anything.

As for the gods I hold to, I "believe in" (recognize) a great number, split into many categories, and worship only one, the God of Abraham through the personality of the Christ.

In my mind, and according to my experience, the spiritual world is divided like so:
  • The Prime Creator (howsoever you should like to call It)
  • The Divine Spark (that which is referred to as pneuma, chi, anima, The Force, etc.; the Divine within each of us)
  • Attendants of the Prime Creator (what Christianity calls angels and demons, or the Valar, if you're a Tolkien fan)
  • Ascendants (those that, through whatever means, gained 'deity' not inherent)
    • Ascendant Ideas
      • concepts (Sophia, Goddess of Wisdom; the statue of blind Justice; Caïssa, Goddess of Chess; Uncle Sam)
      • personality traits or realms of influence (Zeus was known for both his command of storms and his rampaging lust, Neptune for his great rage and command of the sea)
      • fictional personalities and deities which have, or may gain non-fictional worshipers (Pelor, Greyhawk sun deity; Elune, Night Elf goddess of the moon)
    • Ascendant Individuals - the Buddha and the enlightened who follow his path, Heracles, and the Norse pantheons (who, I believe, have shown evidence of being tribal chieftains and warriors)
  • Spirits - I perceive the spirit world in a fashion somewhere between the understanding of a shaman, an adherent of Shinto, and Werewolf: the Apocalypse (which did a great job of showing types and hierarchies). I don't know how else to explain this section other than an intersection of those three systems.

YMMV, of course, but that's what I've experienced.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by steamboat28.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #115057 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Deities
:laugh: I actually addressed that theory at the gathering Desolous!!!!

William: I would add something which represents fire to your altar, as it covers both Tyr and Prometheous. Since I tend to be more stone oriented in that regard (safer) I'd suggest obsidian.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Alethea Thompson.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115060 by
yes, its telling that the only creatures on the planet who worship gods are also the only ones that are fully conscious and sentient, as far as we can tell. the two are almost certainly correlated,and jaynes' theory puts forth how.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115588 by

Desolous wrote: ugh, i loathe myself sometimes. wiki says that the titans 'were a primeval race of powerful deities, descendants of Gaia (Earth) and Uranus (Ouranos) (Sky), that ruled during the legendary Golden Age. They were immortal beings of incredible strength and stamina and were also the first pantheon of Greek gods and goddesses.'

however, i modify my question somewhat based on this. if the titans were overthrown by the upstart olympians, with prometheus in particular 'sentenced (by zeus) to eternal torment for his transgression' of giving fire to mankind, why not worship the obvious victor within that pantheon here, zeus, and have done?

Although you do have a good point, according to Greek mythology, Prometheus created mankind and stole fire for mankind, even though he knew the likely consequences. I say a love for your creation such as that is admirable. Foolish, but admirable. Also, the Olympians are usurpers and tyrants in my view. The minor olympians I worship are not there for any trivial reason, as I believe the Olympians are unfit to watch over mankind.
I am a wiccan who focuses on six gods and goddesses, and depending on the time of the year, two gods are more prevalent than others. I focus on Hecate (queen of witches) and Thanatos (god of death) for the first part of the year, Selene the huntress and Morpheus the god of dreams for the second time of the year, and Gaia and Prometheus for the final part of the year. The reason I do this is because I focus on the time of the year as a metaphor for the gods' timeline. Just thought I'd put in my two cents =) Also, the rest of the titans hold a special place in my practices, but these six are the ones I focus on the most.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 8 months ago #115726 by
It's not the gods that make the difference but the strength and depth of the belief that impacts our lives, those around us and all living energies. Ya gotta believe and have faith if you want the power. :)

More
10 years 7 months ago #117854 by Lykeios Little Raven
Replied by Lykeios Little Raven on topic Re:Re: Deities

William Kaede wrote: Well, I'm not sure of any resources specific to those two deities, but theoi.com is a good one for Greek Gods and Titans. There are also many online Asatru and Hellenic groups you could ask for firsthand information in a modern context if you were interested.

As for me, I am a Hellenic reconstructionist and therefore worship the Olympians and various minor/local deities.

Leon wrote: Also, the Olympians are usurpers and tyrants in my view. The minor olympians I worship are not there for any trivial reason, as I believe the Olympians are unfit to watch over mankind.

Yes, the Olympians usurped their positions. However, they usurped said positions from a Titan who:
a) Usurped his own father by castrating him.
b) Ate his own children as they were born.
c) Was a terrible tyrant.

If they are tyrants they sure look a lot nicer than the Titans that came before. Also, some Titans were eventually given clemency. Kronos was even appointed as the guardian of the Isles of the Blessed. Another important thing I personally like to keep in mind is that myths are not meant to be taken literally. Alot of them are meant for teaching lessons.

In any case, I worship some of the Titans as well as the Olympians. *shrug*

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi