Techwear for Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211084 by
Replied by on topic Techwear for Jedi

Cabur Senaar wrote:

Khaos wrote:
*Sigh* The trials and tribulations of a Sith Lord....Nobody gave Vader crap for that light brite on his chest.

Not to his face, anyway. I think that had more to do with Force Chokes than how awesome his light brite was.

The ability to Force Choke would solve a lot of problems....At the same time, I would not trust myself to use it either sparingly, or responsibly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #211088 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Techwear for Jedi

Khaos wrote: Whats a 2DS?

It's a handheld games console from Nintendo.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211093 by

Edan wrote:

Khaos wrote: Whats a 2DS?

It's a handheld games console from Nintendo.

As I explained to my father, is the new version of the Game Boy. After several installments.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #211094 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Techwear for Jedi
I have not seen bumbag's for decades until the bikies (drug cartels) started to wear them here :S
But you'd avoid being seen as one of them unless you had the other indicators of the stereotype.
I'd suggest the 'professional photographer' look could be handy, as they get to carry gear around and blend in because everyone knows what they are doing with gear. But these days smartphones mean who really needs a SLR around the neck - unless they are going the whole hog with tripods, reflectors etc... which is too much gear
:pinch:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Adder.

More
8 years 4 months ago #211101 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Re:Techwear for Jedi
Right now I am also carrying a Baofeng. I used to carry a dual band Yeasu and that was an excellent radio. I wore it right out. I miss it.

The Icoms are decent radios and the Baofeng is doing its job well. I'm sort of impressed with it but I'm a Yeasu girl. :-) then again not too many Ham Radio operators that are women either. My father helps run a repeater and we also used to do a lot of packet, however we have gotten out of doing those things. I'm looking forward to field day this year. My call sign is a tongue twister. It always has people asking for it phonetically. :-) I'm looking at going up to a higher class level.....when I have time. :-)

Tellahane wrote:

McNulty wrote: What kind of ham radio do you carry? I have a little Baofeng. If I ever get land, I want to build some small repeater stations on it to keep the family connected.

I know your responding to roz, but just to throw my cents in, I did used to carry my yeasu vx-8 around all the time, for my 2 emt jobs I carry an Icom F3031 that I personally invested in. My truck has a yeasu 8800r, which can act as a cross band repeater which I have used in an emergency once, when we had to link the north uhf repeater to the south vhf repeater to cover the entire county for an operation we did in the ham group I belonged to at the time some years back.

Baofeng's aren't bad little radio's at all. Yeasu has been very reliable for the price, icom is expensive as crap but I've never had better audio quality out of any radio I've owned then the icom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211106 by
Why do you guys carry radios on you?

More
8 years 4 months ago #211125 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Techwear for Jedi
That is a great question. We carry radios because they are intended to help in case of an emergency.

In my case I'm located in a very remote region of the US. Cell Phone coverage while has gotten better over the years is still very sparse. What happens if you are in the woods and cannot call for help? Or a flood comes through and EMS need to know the best route to go around a swamp, etc. In a dead zone and a car goes off the road and they need help. Ham Radio can get through when needed due to our own antenna's/power supplies/knowledge of radio waves. Where I am it is usually 45 minutes to an hour response time. Sometimes longer. That is due to everyone being volunteer and getting people to the station to pack up and head out to the scene is difficult.

Did you ever see the movie Independence Day? In that world communications were knocked out. Satellites were destroyed. It was the Ham Radio operators that stepped in and helped communicate the plan to coordinate a world wide attack. Fiction I know but the best pop culture reference I can give as an example. When 911 happened many of the communication towers were located on the Trade Centers. They were destroyed of course with the buildings. EMS needed communication. That's where the Ham Radio operators step in. We help bridge the gap to make sure help is there when its needed.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Firefly Series

The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 4 months ago #211129 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Techwear for Jedi
Hmmm, maybe that is a practical use for the lightsaber hilt, a telescopic mast to serve as an antenna for say, shortwave communication with other Jedi!? Morse code anyone?
:blink:
Just kidding, I don't know enough about it to suggest its possible. But this thread reminded me of an old vid with soldiers out bush training in Morse;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM6xm2gQl8U

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz

More
8 years 4 months ago #211143 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Techwear for Jedi

Jedi_Roz wrote: That is a great question. We carry radios because they are intended to help in case of an emergency.

In my case I'm located in a very remote region of the US. Cell Phone coverage while has gotten better over the years is still very sparse. What happens if you are in the woods and cannot call for help? Or a flood comes through and EMS need to know the best route to go around a swamp, etc. In a dead zone and a car goes off the road and they need help. Ham Radio can get through when needed due to our own antenna's/power supplies/knowledge of radio waves. Where I am it is usually 45 minutes to an hour response time. Sometimes longer. That is due to everyone being volunteer and getting people to the station to pack up and head out to the scene is difficult.

Did you ever see the movie Independence Day? In that world communications were knocked out. Satellites were destroyed. It was the Ham Radio operators that stepped in and helped communicate the plan to coordinate a world wide attack. Fiction I know but the best pop culture reference I can give as an example. When 911 happened many of the communication towers were located on the Trade Centers. They were destroyed of course with the buildings. EMS needed communication. That's where the Ham Radio operators step in. We help bridge the gap to make sure help is there when its needed.

^^^ this

There are places in my county where there are no cell service as well, granted not to many people monitor the repeaters anymore, but especially in winter, or during power outages, they are handy to have.

The most common thing that happens after a small tornado even nicks a town, word spreads on social media and within 20 minutes every cell tower is tied up with people calling their friends/family etc that lived in that town, its been proven a couple times around here when such an event happens they actually locked the cell towers up so much they shut down. Then when cell doesn't work everyone switches to the analog phones and guess what happens to that system. Next thing you know the only way to communicate in and out of that area is ham radio. The ability to deploy emergency communications when those situations happen is a nice one to have that no one thinks about until you need it. Just think of what would happen if there was an even bigger more serious event.

When the big ice storm hit kentucky all the phone services went down, the only communication they had across the state was from ham radio operators who setup new antenna's and repeaters, all the pre-existing ones we're frozen or destroyed, or barely working. It took I think if I remember correctly 2-3 full days before they could start restoring phones etc.

Roz I eventually upgraded to general and I'm happy with it, not sure I'll ever push to extra thats quite a bit of knowledge to memorize for as busy as I am but maybe someday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz

More
8 years 4 months ago #211147 by J_Roz
Replied by J_Roz on topic Re:Techwear for Jedi
I also do mounted search and rescue, the radios are extremely helpful in the deep woods. Even if I cannot get out to a repeater, I can usually hit someone at base camp who can get any call out needed. A lot of times my second horse or even in my saddle bags I carry extra batteries and or radios and portable antennas. Years ago I was activated at a scene of a flood where the national guard needed help coordinating the effort to save houses and help people.

I'm only technician class. Call sign KC8SZV. For tech gear my radio is a vital part of it. Didn't mean to hijack the thread or anything. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firefly Series

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi