Techwear for Jedi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #210772 by
Techwear for Jedi was created by
As a fan of the Cyberpunk genere, and technology in general, I've always been very interested in concepts like Techwear and EDC ( Everyday Carry )

Techwear Defined:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I wanted to start this thread to discuss Techwear and perhaps a 'Jedi Fashion / Uniform' for the modern day. Jedi from fiction have uniforms that provide a multitude of purposes, from protection, to identification, and utility. What about the modern day equivalent? If we prepare ourselves mentally and spiritual for challenges, what about the other situations we may encounter?

Recently I received a techwear jacket designed for women I had backed on Kickstarter: MiaMelon - Provocateur Jacket. This got me thinking, as it's now become a constant item that I wear. I enjoy the fact it's outfitted with so many features, and feel very 'put together' when I wear it. I've expanded a lot of my wardrobe to fall into this techwear category, with my clothing being very well fitted / protective and loaded with features that enable me to worry less about temperature, how long I wear them, etc.

My end goal is to have a solid set of this reliable, very hard to wear out clothing, along with 'EDC' items that I can carry in my purse that should prepare me in a very Girl Scout / Jedi way for anything I may encounter throughout my days or travel. Has anyone else ever considered Techwear before, or what a modern Jedi may carry with them?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #210773 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Techwear for Jedi
examples?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #210774 by
Replied by on topic Techwear for Jedi

carlos.martinez3 wrote: examples?

Surely!

The coat I recently purchased above is a good one to start with.

Jacket: MiaMelon - Provocateur Jacket.
  • Windproof.
  • Waterproof.
  • Breathable fabric.
  • Designed to be rugged, last a very long time, and protect the wearer from all elements while staying comfortable.
Shirt: Aero Short Sleeve Crewe
  • Naturally keeps you warm in cold weather and cool in warm weather.
  • Absorbs and releases vapour to prevent overheating and clamminess.
  • Extra protection against the sun's harmful rays, naturally.
  • Naturally anti-bacterial, it can be worn for days without washing.
Underwear: ExOfficio Women's & Socks: Smartwool PhD Run Ultra
  • Quick Drying — wash them in the sink and they’ll be dry by morning.
  • Moisture Wicking — helps keep your skin dry.
  • Breathable — helps stop you from getting all sweaty down there.
  • Odor Blocking — helps prevent getting all stinky.
  • Lightweight — less weight on your body, or in a travel bag is a good thing.
  • Comfortable — ideally, you shouldn’t even know you’re wearing underwear.
As you can see, it all follows the same theme of being comfortable, rugged, and adapting to any environment you may be in. Strikes me as a Jedi-like outfit (at least from fiction), where we are lead to believe the robes and supplies they carry with them arm them for any sort of situation that they may be placed in.

More
8 years 4 months ago #210784 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic Techwear for Jedi
Yes! I am a big fan of this idea. Betabrand used to carry more of this, but not as much now. It was often very expensive.

I have a decent edc set that goes everywhere with me. Multitool, flaslights, knife, cordage, space blanket, poncho, etc. I've been thinking about an augmented set for my car. Bigger tools, first aid, stuff I could throw on in a pinch, perhaps in something like this .

It often comes back to money, but I think about this often.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 4 months ago #210788 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Techwear for Jedi
I wear clothes for the reasons you've outlined, and also have an edc rescue knife from CRKT, and a multitool...

My knife has a seatbelt safety cutter, window breaker, and the aerated blade... The multi tool is average...

Looking to trade up at some point, lol...

I'm slowly trading my t-shirts all the time, to thicker canvas-y materials like martial arts uniform material...lol...

I prefer flipflops to shoes.. But, I do wear waterproof boots, with steel toes, thinsulate insulation, and paracord for laces... Saw a guy.on TV use paracord for boot laces, they are tougher, cheaper, you can vary the length to make it an inch or two longer than normal laces as well..

I'm getting there, lol...

Comfort plays a big part too... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 4 months ago #210789 by Jestor

Cabur Senaar wrote: Yes! I am a big fan of this idea. Betabrand used to carry more of this, but not as much now. It was often very expensive.

I have a decent edc set that goes everywhere with me. Multitool, flaslights, knife, cordage, space blanket, poncho, etc. I've been thinking about an augmented set for my car. Bigger tools, first aid, stuff I could throw on in a pinch, perhaps in something like this .

It often comes back to money, but I think about this often.

I tell you, I search for "cop clothes" (just for window shopping), as I have access to some of their magazines, and that stuff reminds me of the 5.11 brand of clothing...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #210875 by
I fell into an awesome black, long coat that I now wear pretty often. My grad school had a dress code and a lost-and-found. Any items not claimed in a year's time were up for grabs. While picking through the random thumb drives and pencils, I realized there was also this random nice coat. Fits like a glove, has pockets inside and out, so now it's my daily wear in the winter and rainy season.

I carry a .380 most days due to its easy concealment, and the coat helps with that. I've recently switched to jeans on non-work days, and mine have a nice little pocket for my current Swiss Army Knife. I sometimes wear a paracord bracelet I received as a gift, but I still haven't figured out what I'd ever do with it. ;)

I like the idea of specific "techwear." I know ThinkGeek has sold some pretty handy jackets in the past, just usually out of my price range.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #210902 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Techwear for Jedi
Having to travel a lot as a kid meant its something I was always thinking about, what happens 'if' and how can I survive and help others 'when'.

As a teenager I just wore army pants and filled the pockets, but then switched to just using a backpack with whatever clothing seemed kewl at the time, but these days backpacks seem less attractive. I'm almost at the point of just having stuff in my car and leaving it at that, and clothing being more about comfort and protection of myself then utility to respond to circumstance. I guess its a result of my location - what existing professional services are going to respond and what can be achieved to facilitate that or serve in its capability gaps. Which is very location specific.

So from an organisations perspective I wonder where the boundary between say a peacetime paramilitary group and prepared civilian might best sit. Personalization is one big thing which separates those two elements quite nicely, but then if we value the same things in a small market then the best products being sole sourced might end up mitigating the capacity to personalize - if we all end up wearing the same thing from personal choice. First world problems Haha.

And so I'd say an actual uniform is not warranted (and I see a uniform approach to utility meaning almost similar things) - since we really do not possess anything necessarily extra (by being a Jedi) which the fully qualified and practising medical staff or emergency responder who is rostered off and going shopping at the same emergent scene might be able to bring, for example, to a incident.

That does not mean we cannot be safer and more prepared though, and for many Jedi this is intrinsic to being Jedi (me included to some extent). It's just how I view it in regards to systematic adoption of clothing standards... but I also think blending-in is important so people are not distracted under normal circumstances.

Anyway, I look for;
1. adequate design;
. appropriate ventilation
. form/fit
. quiet fasteners
. not too loose so that it can catch on machinery

2. adequate materials;
. fire resistant
. longevity
. softness
. applicable water and/or wind resistance and/or breath-ability
. knife stab/slash resistance
. quiet rubbing and crumpling characteristics

I do find it tempting to go full utility.... chest rigs, abseiling harness, dive knives, backpack with medical kits and ballistic helmet, safety goggles etc etc in it, with a robe thrown over the whole lot LOL. I have not found this approach particularly spiritual though. It feels like I'm butt naked but with an assortment of tool belts (which itself could be seen as very spiritual haha). Not that there is anything wrong with being butt naked...

:blush: just have to watch the sun burn and stuff :laugh:

Oh, when I read techwear and cyberpunk I was TOTALLY ready for a thread about walking around with a VR headset on and a backpack computer running augmented virtual reality as a way of life
:pinch:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #210904 by
Fanny packs have come a long way,and are extremely useful.

Heres an example

http://www.theoutdoorworld.com/jansport/ashland-fanny-waist-pack-150-cu-in-black-64093

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
8 years 4 months ago #210913 by Jestor

Khaos wrote: Fanny packs have come a long way,and are extremely useful.

Heres an example

http://www.theoutdoorworld.com/jansport/ashland-fanny-waist-pack-150-cu-in-black-64093

I can't tell if you are joking...

If we were in an apocalypse, OK, I would need more utility, less fashion...

Or, if it suited me in my job, maybe..

However, that has not come far enough for me to wear every day... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi