Taekwondo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12608 by
Replied by on topic Re:Taekwondo
I niether have the time nor the money for such master-ship but would very much like to try someday. I am very interested in Hapkido, i love kicks and have seens a few videos about it and it seems very beautiful to me. Other then that, i prefere unique weapons. I am best with the sword at the moment but and no expert. My second weapon of choice would be Sai's which i am training myself in. I also have a set of Hook Swords but havne't been able to find anything as of yet to get me started with them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #12613 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:Taekwondo
The Sai are weapons that I have never been able to master, I lack the dexterity in the fingers...I'm great at dropping them or tossing 'em unexpectantly. lol. I wish you better luck with them April, they are fun weapons and truly something to behold in the right hands.

Now where's my Katana? oh well my bo will have to do...
lenny like clubing opponents...:P

practice, practice, practice...:)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12627 by
Lenny wrote:

lenny like clubing opponents...:P

heck yeash- a baseball bat and a double barrel are my weapons of choice. lol :)

i actually am trying to get into fencing. it seems like fun.
Taekwondo was always boring to me. i see the attraction but when i was in it i was 12... maybe time to give it another chance...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12638 by
Ahh Hapkido...how i love thee
Sister April i would strongly advise you to get into it
it is very nearly my personal favorite

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12640 by
stevef wrote:

Taekwondo was always boring to me. i see the attraction but when i was in it i was 12... maybe time to give it another chance...[/quote]

*GASP!!!!!* TKD BORING? You have not studied the true art of TKD then! It is the most beautiful composition of kicks and hands take downs i have EVER had the experience and pleasure of knowing. And when you see someone with the finess and and the grace of the balanced yet perfect art of Poomse..it's just a breath taking sight to behold.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12642 by
I agree, I believe you were looking at the americanized version, Br.Stevef

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12651 by
There are almost as many interpretations of TKD as there are martial arts. I am lucky in that my Master studied under a Master from Korea. So our TKD is much more the defensive art then sport. Also my Master has been studying for 30 + years and has added throws, joint and wrist locks, and self defence sets as well.

Anyone interested in martial arts should investigate the different styles that are available to you in the area that you live. what works for one person and their body style may not work for someone else. Studying a martial art is a very person experience and you should find something you are comfortable with, or you won't practice or attend.

And like Stevef and Lenny said, having a back up plan is always a good idea. (weapons training).

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12689 by
yeah, it was very Americanized, standing in lines for 2 hours kicking at nothing every week for 2 years is going to get boring after a while.
we never really did much in the line of patterns, we had to learn those on our own. even my dad who was super in to it was bored. he finally got a book to learn the patterns and learned more in 5 minutes of reading than 2 years of training
and look i was 12 years old! i was looking for something cool to do with my dad, the teacher was not great. he was more concerned with looking cool for the ladies in the class. at 12 i was still not sure why he'd want to do that but it was painfully obvious he was.
the good thing it did was for 2 years give me and my dad something to do.

funny story though, the one and only time we broke something he was \"good enough to break 4 boards with two fingers\", and he wanted to show the ladies he could do it. it was the first time i saw a compound fracture (broken bone ripping through skin), and yes- mean to laugh, and i didn't at the time, but now looking back fully understanding what he was, and what he was about it's funny as heck.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 1 month ago #12694 by
Haha, my Taekwondo training has been more traditional than \"Americanized\" both of the Instructors are from Korea, so they do things very traditional.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi