Addiction: choice or disease?

More
7 years 5 months ago #263484 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Addiction: choice or disease?
It's both. In my opinion, I only have the perspective of a my own position as recovering alcoholic so accept this for what it is, just my observation on my journey. It for me came no doubt from some genetic disposition, poor mental and spiritual health. It's something that you can notice the predispositions before it takes hold but by the time I recognized these I was already walking that path. It's interesting though because I've had to take other addictive substances for medical reasons and none ever got a hold of me like the sauce. In reality though I let people view it for what they need and that allows most to pick a path that may very well save their lives. Long story short if I had to summarize my opinion it is simply a disease of the spirit and mind (self convincing yourself you need it to get by) that then leads to a physical manifestation through symptoms of withdrawal and consequences of action in inebriated state. However, each should define it as their own as the path to escape is cloudy and rocky a difficult road to walk but one that can be. I needed help to walk mine others may not.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #263486 by
Replied by on topic Addiction: choice or disease?

Kobos wrote: It's both. In my opinion, I only have the perspective of a my own position as recovering alcoholic so accept this for what it is, just my observation on my journey. It for me came no doubt from some genetic disposition, poor mental and spiritual health. It's something that you can notice the predispositions before it takes hold but by the time I recognized these I was already walking that path. It's interesting though because I've had to take other addictive substances for medical reasons and none ever got a hold of me like the sauce. In reality though I let people view it for what they need and that allows most to pick a path that may very well save their lives. Long story short if I had to summarize my opinion it is simply a disease of the spirit and mind (self convincing yourself you need it to get by) that then leads to a physical manifestation through symptoms of withdrawal and consequences of action in inebriated state. However, each should define it as their own as the path to escape is cloudy and rocky a difficult road to walk but one that can be. I needed help to walk mine others may not.

I find your story very convincing that it is both , i certainly can see why one substance like alcohol can be more addictive , for me smoking is more addictive as it goes by example , i can still see my parents and their friends sitting enjoying a smoke which seemed to relax them and give them joy , as for alcohol i have the opposite , i remember the agression it brought into our household and the sorrow , something to ponder over ....

More
7 years 5 months ago #263496 by Kobos
Both my parents are recovering alcoholics too but sober since well before both my brother's and my birth. Though it brought a lot of pain into our house and I still know of the scars I left on them; they did something I found very wise and did not intervene until I asked. I don't think I would have been aware or admitted it for what it was by someone telling me, it was something I had to feel. I could explain it as an absolute selfishness, to be completely and utterly cut off from the force in every way and to know only suffering (you also cause others) even when your happy because its only the drug that is synthesizing it. On a side note I smoke Cigarettes and Green but these are vices I know I will deal within the future and besides killing mostly myself have yet to take me to a level like that also moderation is key addiction throws moderation straight out the window.

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #263518 by Carlos.Martinez3

MartaLina wrote: There is an interesting discussion going on on facebook, i think that addiction stems from an underlying cause , like disbehaviour and that its not just a matter of choosing the easy option out of not feeling anything , what do you think ?

@ Lina What comes from within has been placed. The ...ability to know this ...this one thing , changes everthing. GIGO.
Personal responsibility can mend and even strengthen an individual . its a tough gig cuz no one ever want a to be told its their own fault. I am directly responsible for my actions. There are those who have the same idea. To them, their plight it tough. I'm right there in the thick of it. Addiction can with the right help and focus be overcome by anyone. ANYONE. Every human has their potential . When it come to it, is there enough character to do it. I come from broken home, yet my home is not broken, its built. I come from the streets, yet I do not live street, we have a home. I come from defeat, yet i am not defeated, the difference is, my focus. If the focus is not on anything else, like whos fault or why... Nothing really gets done.

*edit
Some times there are addictions, hard to let go and some times there are choices. Both exist, how long till we finnly let personal addiction drive us? When will the individual take the wheel? Its a wise person that sees where the lack is and takes control. That's called ... ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, , Kobos

More
7 years 5 months ago #263532 by Kobos
Carlos you are indeed a wise man and a lot better speaker than myself much respect.

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #263533 by Carlos.Martinez3

Kobos wrote: Carlos you are indeed a wise man and a lot better speaker than myself much respect.

* blushing , Just a old Jedi trying to help lol . Thank u for the compliment .

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
7 years 5 months ago #263534 by Kobos
You got at exactly what I was going for but much less emotional a thing i need to consider as that can corrupt my view.

MF DOOM Books of War

Knight of the Conclave

More
7 years 5 months ago #263539 by Carlos.Martinez3

Kobos wrote: You got at exactly what I was going for but much less emotional a thing i need to consider as that can corrupt my view.

The 16 teachings are always my go to on things as such. The "wearyness " in #4 is sooooooo helpful to me. I take it as be mindful of what u attach to...just look at it. Sometime the ability just to look at somthing can make our path...different , same here. So helfull are these 16 simple teachings we have. They r not ours solely, but they help so much if u let em.

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kobos

More
7 years 5 months ago #263545 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Addiction: choice or disease?
I think from personal experience is starts as a choice then becomes an addiction, kinda creeps up on you.
However on the idea of choices, if you think about it, there are many choices we make and are influenced by upbringing and other things, that when you drink or take that first drug, how much of the choice is a conscious decision and not a series of influences/past decisions that make it (the choice) actually a reaction not a decision.
NOt sure thats understandable

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, , Kobos

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #263553 by
Replied by on topic Addiction: choice or disease?

carlos.martinez3 wrote:

Kobos wrote: You got at exactly what I was going for but much less emotional a thing i need to consider as that can corrupt my view.

The 16 teachings are always my go to on things as such. The "wearyness " in #4 is sooooooo helpful to me. I take it as be mindful of what u attach to...just look at it. Sometime the ability just to look at somthing can make our path...different , same here. So helfull are these 16 simple teachings we have. They r not ours solely, but they help so much if u let em.

Its good to see the theory behind what we are trying to achieve here , the feeling follows behind usually :) talking to eachother , helping in need , someone to call when i want a cigarette , it has helped me so much over the months since i stopped smoking since march :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi