Addiction: choice or disease?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270415 by
Replied by on topic Addiction: choice or disease?
Two semesters ago, I was a part of an abnormal psychology class that talked about the "disease" of addiction as outlined in the DSM-5, and that is what psychologists, and other medical personnel use to diagnose people based on the criteria that is lain out in the book. Not that anyone didn't know this of course. There is a model that the DSM-5 uses that is called, or at least I believe, the bio social model. This model described that there might be the possibility of genetic predisposition to an addictive personality, or addiction to a certain drug, and then the other part of the of the model was the social anxieties and stresses that we have in our every day life that might drive us to this certain addiction. Think of it like an empty glass at first, and then you add your genetics to the mix, and you fill the glass to whatever point you think is appropriate for you, and then you fill the glass with the appropriate amount of liquid or whatever representing social stress and anxieties. This might make the glass overfill, pushing you to the point of an addiction, or it might not overfill at all, and you'll avoid the addiction. You might just be highly genetically predisposed and that little stress you have is enough to push you over the edge, or you might not be predisposed at all, however social circumstances drive you to the edge and you happen to fall upon that addiction, whatever it may be. So basically what I'm saying is, that it isn't necessarily one or the other, I'm saying that it is a bio, psycho, social mix that makes the disease itself. It is your genetic predisposition, mixed with your social surroundings. You might carry the gene for a certain disease, but you don't end up expressing it, so this is sort of the same way, except for your social universe you surround yourself with is what activates it, or doesn't. Hope this ads to the conversation well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270419 by
Addiction is an intense conversation and requires a lot of respect due to its affects on people.

If society was more open to this issue, we could talk about it more and explore solutions openly. When we have to hide our issues, they grow in the darkness. And become worse.

Until then, people need to find ways to find help for themselves. And in the end, the individual has to want the "cure", answer or solution.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270434 by
Whouahh lets back up a little here ! Society cannot make you take drugs , but it can facilitate an enviroment that we dont know what we are eating or drinking , so i think we should be aware of our personal accountabilty , but not forgetting how misinformed we are by powers that thrive well on our ignorance , so Ignorance yet Knowledge , but dont forget that you and only you are responsible for your actions , that should be the first thing to look at . What am I doing to myself and how can i train and educate to do better !

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270444 by
It begins as a choice, it always has and will always be (in my opinion) yet it is a choice that can be heavily influenced, but yet again the person in question always has the final call on it so to speak.

If the person in question decides to give in on the addicition then and only then it will become a disease, still with choices that can be made, choice that can turn a disease into a choice again.

But in all cases i think it also depends on the person his state, if the person has a strong determenation then it's a choice for sure, if not then it's 50/50 it still can be a choice, though it will be harder to make a good choice.

-Wesley

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270481 by

MartaLina wrote: Whouahh lets back up a little here ! Society cannot make you take drugs , but it can facilitate an enviroment that we dont know what we are eating or drinking , so i think we should be aware of our personal accountabilty , but not forgetting how misinformed we are by powers that thrive well on our ignorance , so Ignorance yet Knowledge , but dont forget that you and only you are responsible for your actions , that should be the first thing to look at . What am I doing to myself and how can i train and educate to do better !

I'm not sure if this was in response to my reply or not, however I wanted to say that I definitely agree, and the point your making is what I was trying to get at. Perhaps I worded it wrong. I wasn't attempting to say that society is forcing them down our throats, however that the environment your in can cause the needed stress to drive someone to the point of addiction, or trying that drug or alcohol etc. for the first time. I definitely wasn't saying that society is making anyone take drugs. lol! That's all on the individual. When I say socialized to do so, I'm saying that the thing in question is all around them, or the stress of life in that persons particular social situation is just too much for them to handle. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270484 by

droberts4317 wrote:

MartaLina wrote: Whouahh lets back up a little here ! Society cannot make you take drugs , but it can facilitate an enviroment that we dont know what we are eating or drinking , so i think we should be aware of our personal accountabilty , but not forgetting how misinformed we are by powers that thrive well on our ignorance , so Ignorance yet Knowledge , but dont forget that you and only you are responsible for your actions , that should be the first thing to look at . What am I doing to myself and how can i train and educate to do better !

I'm not sure if this was in response to my reply or not, however I wanted to say that I definitely agree, and the point your making is what I was trying to get at. Perhaps I worded it wrong. I wasn't attempting to say that society is forcing them down our throats, however that the environment your in can cause the needed stress to drive someone to the point of addiction, or trying that drug or alcohol etc. for the first time. I definitely wasn't saying that society is making anyone take drugs. lol! That's all on the individual. When I say socialized to do so, I'm saying that the thing in question is all around them, or the stress of life in that persons particular social situation is just too much for them to handle. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Neh i read all the responses and seemed to taste that addiction is not the persons responsibilty which i dont agree with , the case is that we stay responsible for our own actions as you tried to say aswell :) but i also pointed out in an earlier comment that i was already addicted to smoking by proxy , through my parents , but that i still had to make the choice to stop smoking , but .. i am still addicted , its a fight , and although its not my FAULT as such , i still have to face the consequences of my parents "neglect" so to say , i have to chose :)

More
7 years 3 months ago #270490 by Cyan Sarden

Society as a whole is a collection of individuals. So yeah - responsibility starts with each and every one of us. A lot of people have personalities that make them easy targets for addictive behavior. Perhaps educating ourselves and living ethical and empathic lives can help us identify people who are on the brink and perhaps aid them. And each and everyone of us can help shape society in a way that lives and lets live - all of its members. That offers enough worth living for to all of us so we don't require additional kicks to stay afloat.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270516 by
Why should we limit what "kind" of issue it? I mean we know it's an issue, I think the better question is... what can we do about addiction as individuals and as a society?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270629 by
So it is a choice?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270656 by

AveryR1988 wrote: Why should we limit what "kind" of issue it? I mean we know it's an issue, I think the better question is... what can we do about addiction as individuals and as a society?

I dont know really , what are your suggestions?

I would like to see that we are very aware of our ow actions ( not smoke around kids , keep them from medicines , not give them painkillers for every little pain and neglegt the cause etc etc) being the hands on person in real life that i am i welcome any tips into handling this.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi