Addiction: choice or disease?

More
7 years 5 months ago #264969 by Cyan Sarden
http://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/11/17/13663800/substance-abuse-disorder-morality-surgeon-general-statement

Some interesting views there

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #264982 by
Replied by on topic Addiction: choice or disease?
Thank you brother i shall give it a read :cheer:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #268725 by

Adder wrote: Hmmmmm, about addicition, dunno if disease is the right word. I'd hate to call it food, but if your body needs it!?

If addiction means 'not being able to stop', then there is a lot to be addicted to! A link with 'rewards' would be required, but would this mean that there is a line between reward and need? Can a need be a reward at the same time? What if a person would need to do something because of the doing? Like an obsession? :blink: How can that be a 'reward'? Confusing.. :side:
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #268728 by
choice
to call it a "disease" is empowers the person from being able to do anything about it.
Even if it were a "disease" I would prefer to perceive it as a choice so I can change it.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #268732 by Leah Starspectre

baru wrote: choice
to call it a "disease" is empowers the person from being able to do anything about it.
Even if it were a "disease" I would prefer to perceive it as a choice so I can change it.

People who are addicted often feel helpless/powerless to that addiction. Simply saying it's a choice, while usually partially true, just reinforces the shame - it's basically saying "It's your fault that you're powerless to your addiction." Calling it a disease tells them instead that they are unwell and that help is available. Even in disease there is choice, because one can choose to treat it or not.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Leah Starspectre.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #268787 by
I agree with the sentiment that it should be seen as a disease, though with choice involved.

While it is true that many people can simply choose not to be addicted anymore, it is not always the case. We all have events and upbringings in our lives that can cause us to react to things differently than our peers. What is emotionally profound to one person may be insignificant to somebody else. It is our duty not to judge a hurting person, but to help them find their way so that they can be free of the anguish that binds them.

Many of these people just need open ears and a purpose. Give them room to function like a non addict. If safe to do so, invite them to do normal things and be around normal non judging people.

Addiction is still something that isn't fully understood. If it were as easy as choosing not to do something, there would be a lot less addicts.

To me it's not a disease of the body, but a disease of the soul. Mending it can be a long road, but I've known addicts who have been rehabilitated and they are almost always beacons of positivity, and have insights on overcoming their personal demons. We may even have things to learn from reformed addicts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270384 by
If its a "disease" then its a social disorder. Our society is disconnected and focuses on "money" over people. Generally, look at who is addicted. the people that feel lost, that feel intensely and are feeling disconnected.

The highly sensitive people are generally predisposed to being addicts. I feel that we have a harsh society that drives the loving children that don't get in the box into drug use as a form of escape.

More
7 years 3 months ago #270388 by Leah Starspectre

baru wrote: If its a "disease" then its a social disorder. Our society is disconnected and focuses on "money" over people. Generally, look at who is addicted. the people that feel lost, that feel intensely and are feeling disconnected.

The highly sensitive people are generally predisposed to being addicts. I feel that we have a harsh society that drives the loving children that don't get in the box into drug use as a form of escape.

Do you think it's healthier to blame society rather than allow addicts to be personally accountable for their situation?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270403 by
Its the chicken and the egg issue.

society or self? What is more the fault?

Ultimately we need to have a society that honor's people for being themselves so that they don't have to deny themselves.

It takes people to change society, but society has to accept the people that want to evolve it.

More
7 years 3 months ago #270405 by Leah Starspectre

baru wrote: Its the chicken and the egg issue.

society or self? What is more the fault?

Ultimately we need to have a society that honor's people for being themselves so that they don't have to deny themselves.

It takes people to change society, but society has to accept the people that want to evolve it.

It's more reasonable to want to change oneself than it is to change society. And that change comes with hard work and treatment.

Fault doesn't matter when you're trying to move forward. Pointing fingers doesn't create positive change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi