Sex Talk

More
7 years 11 months ago #243626 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Sex Talk

OB1Shinobi wrote: i dont know why, but i think "envisage" is a sexy word lol

... very Levinas. ;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #243627 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Sex Talk

Edan wrote: I'm not sure that we should have someone anonymous answering questions...
If we are doing this, I think it should be a subforum somewhere, people can ask one knight to post their question, then everyone else can post their thoughts.

If we have someone anonymous you run the risk of someone thinking that the person answering has some kind of qualification in therapy etc.

I also think it should be trialed..

"Abby" would not be anonymous, but a trusted member of the community. Just the question asker would be :) I'm just using "Abby" as a reference rather than always saying "person who answer questions" lol

I do think a trial is a good idea, though :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
7 years 11 months ago #243628 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Sex Talk

i dont know a way to have such a thread actually be open to the whole community without it,, well being open to the whole community

Perhaps this just falls within the remit of what the clergy do and therefore no 'open thread' is actually required.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
7 years 11 months ago #243630 by Leah Starspectre

Edan wrote:

i dont know a way to have such a thread actually be open to the whole community without it,, well being open to the whole community

Perhaps this just falls within the remit of what the clergy do and therefore no 'open thread' is actually required.

My the idea is to make talking about sex more public, to try to decrease the stigma around talking about it in the open :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, rugadd, Alexandre Orion

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #243632 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Sex Talk
I have no problem with talking about sex... but Dear Abby type things are usually styled to individuals' personal issues, which usually people don't want to talk about in public (hence why they write to Abby!) so perhaps just general threads about sex are more appropriate.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 11 months ago #243633 by Leah Starspectre

Edan wrote: I have no problem with talking about sex... but Dear Abby type things are usually styled to individuals' personal issues, which usually people don't want to talk about in public (hence why they write to Abby!) so perhaps just general threads about sex are more appropriate.

Ideally, the individual's concern would spark a public discussion on a separate thread. The "Abby"-style format is just to put it out there. People's personal experiences are a wealth of information/wisdom that can be passed on, but not everyone can just start talking about sex.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #243634 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Sex Talk
Here's the thing ... in order for this to work well, it couldn't be 'anonymous'. That is, if one makes an anonymous post, that is still hiding. For there to be really any liberating, shame-purging value to it, one would have to be owning one's story. And that is where it gets dangerous.

It would also be counter-productive for only one person to be answering the topics ; the range of experiences that would make for the most sound interaction would be limited to what get filtered through the answerer's credentials. Often - even from among the professionals - that leaves something to be desired.

It would probably be best to have a dedicated sub-forum for it within Health and Well-being that is just very intensely moderated.

Just thinking about it ... :)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 11 months ago #243635 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Sex Talk
if i'm understanding this...it would work this way:

member has question they wish to ask...
member submits question to clergy/knight/whatever.
clergy/knight/whatever posts question for member, along with a response. other's would then be able to respond as well...

the questioner remains anonymous and may even be able to contribute to the discussion without fear...and also gets a collection of thoughts/ideas/etc to work with....

i'm up for this :)

i can't be the only one that took human sexuality in college, plus my mom worked as an "exotic dancer" while i was growing up so i've been around stuff like that my whole life...

sex/sexuality is only taboo because of mainstream religions...we're not mainstream so why should we treat it the same way?...

we could put it in the members only section which would reduce the potential for trolls...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi, Leah Starspectre

More
7 years 11 months ago #243636 by Leah Starspectre

Alexandre Orion wrote: Here's the thing ... in order for this to work well, it couldn't be 'anonymous'. That is, if one makes an anonymous post, that is still hiding. For there to be really any liberating, shame-purging value to it, one would have to be owning one's story. And that is where it gets dangerous.

It would also be counter-productive for only one person to be answering the topics ; the range of experiences that would make for the most sound interaction would be limited to what get filtered through the answerer's credentials. Often - even from among the professionals - that leaves something to be desired.

It would probably be best to have a dedicated sub-forum for it within Health and Well-being that is just very intensely moderated.

Just thinking about it ... :)

I agree, but I also think that in order to get over the shame, anonymity can be the first step to gaining a greater comfort with the topic.

Also, I suggest that while there is one "Abby" to do the bulk of the work, it's a journal-type environment where other experienced members like Knight or the Clergy can also chime in.

And please, think away! That's why I posted the idea: to get feedback :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 11 months ago #243640 by Leah Starspectre

RyuJin wrote: if i'm understanding this...it would work this way:

member has question they wish to ask...
member submits question to clergy/knight/whatever.
clergy/knight/whatever posts question for member, along with a response. other's would then be able to respond as well...

the questioner remains anonymous and may even be able to contribute to the discussion without fear...and also gets a collection of thoughts/ideas/etc to work with....

Yes exactly! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Alexandre Orion

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi