Sex Talk

More
7 years 11 months ago #243613 by Leah Starspectre
Sex Talk was created by Leah Starspectre
I had an idea - and I'm just wanting to see if there is any interest:

Sex/sexuality is a topic a lot of philosophies and religions don't really like to touch on (a product of our culture, I suppose), but I believe that it's a vitally important part of our human education (and thus, to a Jedi's understanding of humanity)

And people seem interested in discussing topics relating to sex/sexuality.

Maybe we ("we" being TotJO) can start a "Dear Abby" style running thread where people can send questions/concerns to a particular person (I assume a member of the Clergy/Council) who will anonymously publish the question. It would allow open discussion about issues of sex/sexuality, without having to be embarrassed about asking.

Would this kind of thread appeal to anyone?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Breeze el Tierno, Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #243614 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Sex Talk
What kind of question do you envisage here?

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #243615 by
Replied by on topic Sex Talk
I find this idea very interesting. I think having a way to post such questions anonymously is a good idea, but that we should also encourage people to be up front and honest about things like that and to post things for themselves. Maybe after a few anonymous ones people will do so.

It reminds me a bit of the first chapter of The Book by Alan Watt. The opening premise is that his book is similar in nature to a Japanese custom where families would give young adults a book talking about sexuality and such things so that they could avoid the awkwardness of having "the talk." At least I think it was Japanese, I don't have my copy of The Book near me.

I don't think there would be a lot of use for such a thread, but having a system like that in place couldn't hurt. I'm in favor.

More
7 years 11 months ago #243616 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Sex Talk

Goken wrote: I think having a way to post such questions anonymously is a good idea, but that we should also encourage people to be up front and honest about things like that and to post things for themselves. Maybe after a few anonymous ones people will do so.

I agree that openness and honesty is ideal, but since sex is still very much taboo, a lot of people aren't quite there yet where they are comfortable bringing up their concerns publicly. Especially if it's a personal issue.

Hence the idea for an anonymous "Dear Abby"- type thread, so long as there is someone willing to be "Abby". I'd volunteer if I wasn't a wee Novice :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

More
7 years 11 months ago #243617 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Sex Talk
I don't know if that is actually quite the same thing, Goken -- the Japanese "Pillow Book" was sort of a way to avoid the shame of having those 'conversations'. What our purposes here would be would be overcoming the shame ...

Sex is probably one of the most productive breeding grounds for shame we have. There is certainly a need for this sort of thing, but I'm not so sure of the practicality of it in an open forum. Whereas vulnerability is a the seat of creativity and liberation, it may be a big vulnerability risk too, if someone "trolls" it. And "trolling" sometimes even (sadly) happens within our ranks -- not just passers-by who like to have a go at us ...

I'm in favour of the idea of it. I'm not so sure how well it would work out in practice. Or who could get hurt ... That could be a mine-field. :dry:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, , OB1Shinobi, Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #243618 by

Edan wrote: What kind of question do you envisage here?

Maybe not limit it to sex related stuff, just anything people are too embarrassed or uncomfortable to ask for themselves. It could just be labeled "Uncomfortable topics" or something.

Mild side funny. This topic made me think of this scene from Friends.

Attachment h5645ea2.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
7 years 11 months ago #243619 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Sex Talk

Alexandre Orion wrote: Sex is probably one of the most productive breeding grounds for shame we have. There is certainly a need for this sort of thing, but I'm not so sure of the practicality of it in an open forum. Whereas vulnerability is a the seat of creativity and liberation, it may be a big vulnerability risk too, if someone "trolls" it. And "trolling" sometimes even (sadly) happens within our ranks -- not just passers-by who like to have a go at us ...

My ideal would be to make it like a journal - the anonymous question would be addressed by "Abby" and perhaps member of the Council/Clergy/Knighthood if they want to put their two cents in, but not an open forum.

Though if someone was to make a particular topic related to the entry into a thread in the public forum, they can do so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, , OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #243622 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Sex Talk
I'm not sure that we should have someone anonymous answering questions...
If we are doing this, I think it should be a subforum somewhere, people can ask one knight to post their question, then everyone else can post their thoughts.

If we have someone anonymous you run the risk of someone thinking that the person answering has some kind of qualification in therapy etc.

I also think it should be trialed..

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Alexandre Orion, , Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #243623 by
I don't think the person answering would be anonymous, just the person who originally asked since they'd ask through another person who would create the actual post.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #243624 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Sex Talk
i dont know why, but i think "envisage" is a sexy word lol

my thought on OP is that the easiest way to do it would be to open a "awkward questions" thread and if someone was ok with asking their question in that thread, great, but if they felt more comfortable asking someone via PM that would be fine too, it could be PM'd but addressed in the thread so everyone could benefit

i dont know a way to have such a thread actually be open to the whole community without it,, well being open to the whole community lol

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi