Vegetarianism

More
8 years 2 months ago #229478 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Vegetarianism

JamesKenobi wrote: I pass zero judgment on those who still eat meat since I did that for the first 29 years of my life, and to an extent I still miss the taste dearly.

Everyone is different. I've been off red meat for years now, avoid dairy, but that is as far as I can go (yet). Sorry chooks :pinch:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #229511 by
Replied by on topic Vegetarianism

steamboat28 wrote:
I personally find the use of meat-substitutes that are intentionally crafted to physically resemble meat to be disrespectful to the animals that would otherwise give themselves for our nourishment.

Well I'll happily be a little disrespectful so that I'm not actually eating animals as I transition into vegetarianism again after years of not being one :)

potentially deceive a human being about what it is exactly that they are eating

Well tricking someone is just a jerk move all across the board :) Let people eat what they want to. My own kid is an omnivore and I'm cool with that. We all walk our own path.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #229512 by

Rickie wrote: Eat what you enjoy and what gives you strength. What did people eat for thousands of years before you/we were born?

They also punished rebellious children by throwing stones at them until they were dead for thousands of years and did all kinds of other horrible things for thousands of years before we were born. Traditions should be regularly reviewed and critiqued as we evolve :)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #229525 by
I couldn't resist.

I went to four stages of eating behaviour throughout my life.
At first, i was raised, as many of us were, to be carnivorous. I ate a ton of meat, And never even gave it much thought.

Then, when i got a little older, about 14, maybe 15 years of age, It came to my attention that there are in fact people who consider not eating meat normal. That was new to me, and as it is with many new ideas, it was ridiculed at first. People who didn't eat meat were Hippies and Pussies.

The third stage was becoming a militant vegetarian. I Informed myself about how the meat that is lying on the shelves in the store was actually made. I came to the conclusion that if you really love animals, which i do, you cannot possibly go on funding this inhumane mass-murder-machinery. Ergo every one who still ate meat was the enemy and either to be beaten in discussion or, better yet, converted to my cause. I think that was when i was about 19-23.

And now, i am past all these stages, yet i still hold some of the beliefs i found during my journey dearly. When someone asks me why i am vegetarian, i usually say "I just don't eat other animals." And then come the questions. Why? Since when? Are you insane?
So yeah, i get by. And usually, most people i know are also in one of the four stages. So i can't really be angry at them any more. The decision for vegetarianism is one that has to come from one's own self, in the end. And there are enough preachers out there already. On both sides. "Stop eating the way you do" is a common argument. And one that leads nowhere.

But enough of that: To me, not eating meat is and will always be a core belief of my religion. I walk this earth as observer and creator, but i try to do that while inflicting as little pain as possible. And that is incompatible with the way the meat-industry works.

Now, what does this mean to you, the Jedi? Inform yourself - and be AWARE of what you eat, no matter what it is. See the connections between the things you see and where they are coming from. Only then can you make a choice that is your own.
Being a Jedi also means constant re-evaluation of your beliefs.
So long.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 2 months ago #229646 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Vegetarianism
i can't eat meat substitutes....tofu, soy, etc...all make me sick...literally...my mom used to buy soy burgers, every time we had them i would end up sick and vomiting, it took a good while to figure out it was the burgers causing it....when i had my appendectomy i was told "no meat for at least a week" by the doctor, after 3 days of eating a full vegetarian diet i was so weak i could barely support my own weight....over the years i've tried numerous diets and alternatives....what i discovered is that none of them would sate my hunger and give me the energy i need, unless they were meat heavy...for the past almost 15 years i've been on an almost meat only diet...it works for me....the only meat that doesn't agree with me is pork....beef, poultry, fish, and game meat all work fine for me though....i hunt when i can, and have butchered animals in the past for food....i appreciate their sacrifce....that's why i think that anyone that eats meat should have to butcher their food at least once to gain an understanding of the sacrifice made....

"life feeds life" -corporal bower, pandorum-

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
8 years 2 months ago #230374 by Figment
Replied by Figment on topic Vegetarianism

steamboat28 wrote:
I personally find the use of meat-substitutes that are intentionally crafted to physically resemble meat to be disrespectful to the animals that would otherwise give themselves for our nourishment.

Personally, I have never seen any animals willingly give themselves to any creature to be eaten, so I doubt they would be disrespected.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230395 by
I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons. I don't believe in unnecessary killing, but understand other animals will naturally kill for food, and humans (to some extent and depending on ancestry) have had meat-containing diets. I think eating meat can be done in an ethical and mindful way - for example, historical hunter-gatherers and small, humanely-operated farms which treat their animals with dignity and respect. That said, I am REALLY not okay with the conditions under which the majority of meat-eaters derive their meat nowadays (factory farming, mistreatment of animals, overuse of antibiotics, use of hormones, contributing to environmental destruction, etc).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230468 by
In my opinion, human being was born omnivorous and humans need eating all kind of food, vegetable, fruits, meat, cereals... I mean, the human was so low on the food scale untill he started eating meat and its life expectancy was like... around 1/4 of century, even less.

That changed for two reasons, one is human going higher on the food scale, the other that by eating meat humans could grow stronger and get more nutrients needed for a their bodies, their muscles and even their immune system.

That's why I think humans should eat meat. I can accept eating less meat, only fish and chicken meat and things like that, but I don't think it's healthy quiting meat from the diet. For example, for a while I ate only chicken meat and from time to time, less than 2 or 3 times in a week, and I mostly ate vegetable and cereals or pasta (Rice, noodles, bread, etc). After a few months, I felt very week and tired and, when I had a blood test, I had anemia because of lack of meat. I, personally, need meat in my diet, and all kind, chicken, beef, pork... If not, I might get sick even if I eat a lot of other kind of food.

I once met a vegetarian that said "I don't eat meat because it's not healthy and they give steroids to the animals so they grow faster and that's all synthetic and unhealthy and I don't use medicines either I prefer natural remedies and I don't use made with synthetic fiber only natural materials and yadda yadda yadda", but she later had some vitamin supplements prescribed by her doctor for the nutrients lack she had because of her diet. It was like "Oh ok medicines and animal steroids and synthetic fyber are bad for you because they are synthetic and created in laboratories, but you vitamin supplements are not, ok".

I'm not saying all vegetarians are like that, I just say that I personally don't think it's so healthy to eliminate meat from the diet. I think everything is healthy, and neccesary, on the correct meassure. Eating mostly vegetable and fruit and cereal and from time to time meat, it's ok for me, but not eating meat or not eating vegetable I think not.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 2 months ago #230591 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re:Vegetarianism
People seem not to realize that the inherent worth of all life is to be a resource for the continuation of life. Whether we choose the ground or incineration, people make excellent tree food.

In my opinion vegetarians do one thing right: look after their diet. I'm not convinced they do it well, or even that their general lifestyle is something to be desired. I suspect in the end they pollute significantly more than other people.

I think our desire for longer lives will kill us all in the end. An additional 2 years is an additional 2 years of heart pills, brain pills, bone pills and whatnot. Those things ruin nature.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre

More
8 years 2 months ago #230636 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Re:Vegetarianism
What needs to stop is the stigma agaisnt those who choose vegetarianism or veganism, somehow the culture I am surrounded by sees those individuals as weak, sickly, and unnatural on a disgusting scale.

Saying I'm a vegetarian to anyone planning a meal will almost always and immediately make you a pariah.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi