Vegetarianism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219033 by
Replied by on topic Vegetarianism
Eat what you enjoy and what gives you strength. What did people eat for thousands of years before you/we were born? Our bodies are no different now.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219044 by

Rickie wrote: Eat what you enjoy and what gives you strength. What did people eat for thousands of years before you/we were born? Our bodies are no different now.

Hello Rickie and thank you for your thoughts.
I believe that our access on food is different and unfortunately our population is very different of what it used to be thousands of years ago.
Our little earth can still provide us with goods, but this will not be for ever. The vegetables are a more energy effective food than meat, and i assume that will come a day that veganism (and not vegetarianism) will be mandatory.
Unfortunately i am not a Vegan, so my vegetarianism is not more ecological than meat eating.
Best regards.
Robert.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219049 by

Exarchias wrote:

Rickie wrote: Eat what you enjoy and what gives you strength. What did people eat for thousands of years before you/we were born? Our bodies are no different now.

Hello Rickie and thank you for your thoughts.
I believe that our access on food is different and unfortunately our population is very different of what it used to be thousands of years ago.
Our little earth can still provide us with goods, but this will not be for ever. The vegetables are a more energy effective food than meat, and i assume that will come a day that veganism (and not vegetarianism) will be mandatory.
Unfortunately i am not a Vegan, so my vegetarianism is not more ecological than meat eating.
Best regards.
Robert.

The thing about being total vegan, is compared to eating meat and the rest you are having to consume exponential amounts of food to maintain your calories. Can we grow enough, will the earth be able to withstand it?? Well I think with all the acres just given to cows there might be a chance for massive crop rotations where you just let cows and animals fertilize the acres and rotate. I think the agricultural industry will need to totally revolutionize and increase their standards and quality to promote more harmony with nature.

The thing is we have our immensley populated cities, I personally think overpopulation is a myth cause when you fly all you see is totally empty land. There some statistic that you could fit all of us in Australia or Texas, and the UN says by 2050 we peak and then decline. Anways, the cities will be the hardest to feed, they're going to have to figure something out like having gardens in the sky and stuff like that, recycling their own waste (not a big fan of that though unless everyone mysteriously dropped the drugs, petrochemical bodycare products, and industrial byproducts). You've got BIG MONEY in the way of all this though, the agriculture-energy-pharmaceutical CARTELS control almost everything through the regulatory agencies that are suppose to be the ones controlling them, a mutated facism where the corporations have taken over the state instead of vice versa.

There are many people today realizing they need to look back at history and make their way out into the land where they can live a more sustainable, comfortable, healthy life. In the US I even see a future split of government (most likely violent) between the orwellian highly controlled/regulated cities and the conservative freedom loving rural areas. Way off topic but I think because of tradition there will always be meat eaters but there is a chance of revolutionizing the agriculture industry as it is already happening. :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219054 by
I'm currently a (mostly) vegetarian, although I do sometimes eat seafood. I'm also trying to wean myself from dairy, no pun intended. I try very hard to eat only truly free-range eggs. For a couple of years I was following a primal/modified Paleo diet and eating quite a bit of meat. Before that I was trying to eat only locally sourced, organic meats. If I do go back to eating meat, that is what I will do again. I don't judge other individual's choices, but I do think the modern animal agriculture industry is extremely unhealthy for people and the planet/climate. And the animals suffer terribly and unnecessarily. And to me, respecting life is about alleviating suffering.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219114 by
I have no problem with eating meat, but i think animals must be treated with dignity and respect (no unnecesary suffering in breeding and slaughtering). As it's already been said, it's a part of the circle of life. Only thing i don't see fit, is finding pleasure in killing. That is, hunting for food (like our ancestors did, like you can find in nature) i see as legitimate, but hunting for sport.... meh.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219131 by

Djavik wrote: I see. Having been given these opinions it seems to me that it is a matter of perception. That all things consumed should be treated respectfully. I like this. But what of synthetic foods or junk foods?

So I suppose before eating it is viable to thank many people..the farmers, The Earth, etc...

Thank you guys for your opinions so far!

Makes me wonder about the Japanese phrase, "Itadakimasu."

I eat a minimum on meat because biological meat is very expensive here , i oppose bioindustry it breaks my heart how they treat animals , on chemical food i can say one thing , modified food makes me violently ill as some of you could read in chat i recently found out what projectile vomitting means :laugh: the cause was Hellmans mayonaise , a lot of modified ingredients in there. Every food should be treated with respect and prepared with respect , so you are mindfull of the blessing of food and how lucky you are that you have enough food. I dont like Monsanto and big compagnies taking over the food chain i see it as a gross offence against my human rights and i dont buy food from them , i buy local food and milk from farmers who let their cows frolic in the fields .. From my Jedi point of view i think that we should be consious of our food intake because our body is a temporary temple that should be kept in balance. :)

But sometimes , yeah sometimes , i really need to go to KFC :whistle:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219132 by
I was vegetarian for about 15 years.

In the last year I came back to eating some meat, it just seemed right.

It's an individual decision but something which I believe all Jedi should at least consider. Whilst we have been eating meat for many thousands of years, we have only been able to produce nutritionally complete alternatives during the course of the last few decades, so that argument doesn't really hold water anymore.

We practiced slavery and thought the world was flat for thousands of years too, an idea's persistence doesn't provide an accurate measure of its value.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219164 by

Whilst we have been eating meat for many thousands of years, we have only been able to produce nutritionally complete alternatives during the course of the last few decades, so that argument doesn't really hold water anymore.

I'm not following you logic? If people decide to eat alternatives more power to them, eat and be happy!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219169 by
It was in response to:

Rickie wrote: What did people eat for thousands of years before you/we were born? Our bodies are no different now.

Our bodies aren't different; our food options are. If nothing else that calls for a reappraisal, and the idea that "well we've been doing it this way for thousands of years so why change?" speaks of complacency.

Regardless of your preference for eating meat, a visit to a high-yield factory farm would be enough to convince many who currently enjoy the ignorance of not having looked that we have our approach to getting it to the table rather wrong.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219172 by

speaks of complacency.

our food options are

I understand the morality/health/socio-economic values of vegetarianism.

I see how we differ, I see it as biology and choice and not at all compliance.

I know others feel/believe otherwise. I leave them in peace to live their lives as they choose and have nothing negative to say about them. I don't impose my values on animal protein anywhere as near as much some vegetarians do.

I'd like to raise chickens and rabbits in my back yard some day. :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi