Vegetarianism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #219175 by
Replied by on topic Vegetarianism
I disagree. If a new option which has some benefits has been introduced, it is the very definition of complacency to say "nah, we've been doing it this way for thousands of years" rather than at least investigate/consider the new option.

I'm not saying anyone should change their behaviours, views etc. Just that it is complacent not to consider new ways of doing things because "they've always been that way".
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #219178 by

Rickie wrote:

speaks of complacency.

our food options are

I understand the morality/health/socio-economic values of vegetarianism.

I see how we differ, I see it as biology and choice and not at all compliance.

I know others feel/believe otherwise. I leave them in peace to live their lives as they choose and have nothing negative to say about them. I don't impose my values on animal protein anywhere as near as much some vegetarians do.

I'd like to raise chickens and rabbits in my back yard some day. :)

I would love to do that , grow your own , nice ideal :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #219194 by

a new option

right a choice

not to consider new ways

choice

Complacent, a choice, who is to say the new way is better than the old way, an option, a choice?.

For example, I been cooking with soy bean oil for decades avoiding bacon fat because the experts said bacon was bad for me. Now the experts say all those years of using consuming soy oil has been a contributor to obesity trends. Was I compliant about soy bean oil or was I making a value decision based on what information I had at the time

Same things had been can be said about eggs. Now I cook my eggs with bacon and feel great about it! But I could change my mind if something new comes around.....if I choose. ;) :) Peace

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #219200 by
I note you didn't respond to the "investigate/consider the new option", which is the crux of what I'm saying ;)

I'm not saying people don't have a choice, at all. I eat meat. I'm saying its complacent not to consider new things on the basis "the old way works OK". That's not making a choice... it's the opposite.

Or rather its making the choice to be complacent :lol:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227361 by
My girlfriend has been a vegetarian for over 8 years and I was a avid meat eater. That has since then toned down quite a bit. Eating meat substitutes and if I eat meat, I make sure it comes from a place where the animals have had a big farm to run around in and other good living conditions.

Everything is good in moderation and I believe that no matter what we eat, we have to make sure to be responsible and it's from a reliable source.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227363 by

Riyuma wrote: My girlfriend has been a vegetarian for over 8 years and I was a avid meat eater. That has since then toned down quite a bit. Eating meat substitutes and if I eat meat, I make sure it comes from a place where the animals have had a big farm to run around in and other good living conditions.

Everything is good in moderation and I believe that no matter what we eat, we have to make sure to be responsible and it's from a reliable source.

Same here , biological and responsible , i am also concerned where my milk products are coming from these days , we need to be more aware of what we eat. I eat meat maybe twice a week. Also i am very carefull with aditivs as i have some allergy problems.

More
8 years 2 months ago #227398 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Vegetarianism

Riyuma wrote: Eating meat substitutes...

While Roz said everything I initially came here to say a couple of pages back (and did so far better than I could have), I did want to drop my opinion on "meat substitutes."

My friends and I are all from hunting and farming families, and we each have adopted animism into our spiritual belief structures. What I am about to say is my personal opinion, and is not to be construed as criticism on any other human being; it's just something to think about.

I personally find the use of meat-substitutes that are intentionally crafted to physically resemble meat to be disrespectful to the animals that would otherwise give themselves for our nourishment. I realize there are only so many ways to make tofu appealing, and many of us don't know what those ways are, but something that could possibily be used (visually or flavorfully) to potentially deceive a human being about what it is exactly that they are eating in this regard is dishonorable to the spirits, purposes, and lives of the many animals that would and do provide nourishment to the human race.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227411 by

steamboat28 wrote: I personally find the use of meat-substitutes that are intentionally crafted to physically resemble meat to be disrespectful to the animals that would otherwise give themselves for our nourishment.

I had never thought of this before. I find that I quite agree now that I have thought about it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #229474 by
A month ago I decided to start eating an entirely vegan diet. I realized I don't want to contribute to any unnecessary suffering. Cows and chickens endure brutal practices at virtually all modern day facilities. Even the open-range and grass-fed qualifiers can mean they get to come out of their pens for 30 minutes a day. They are still subject to the same tortures otherwise. I considered going vegetarian, but then realized the dairy industry IS the cow exploitation industry. The egg industry IS the chicken exploitation industry. An entirely plant based diet is extremely satisfying, because you get to wake up each morning knowing that you're making a choice not to harm and not to kill those who cannot defend themselves. It is also in line with Mahayana Buddhist teachings. I pass zero judgment on those who still eat meat since I did that for the first 29 years of my life, and to an extent I still miss the taste dearly.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 2 months ago #229475 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Vegetarianism

JamesKenobi wrote: An entirely plant based diet is extremely satisfying, because you get to wake up each morning knowing that you're making a choice not to harm and not to kill those who cannot defend themselves.

except for those poor immobile plants that can't run away and have to stay rooted in place and watch as their children get devoured.... :lol:

i've tried not eating meat....it didn't work for me, no matter how much vegetation i ate i just got weaker and was always hungry....i do think that anyone that eats meat should have to at least butcher their meat once to understand and appreciate the sacrifice made by the animals as part of the circle of life...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi