Adder wrote:

Brenna wrote:

Adder wrote:
That's the spirit ;)

:angry:

Sorry, I had a Bladerunner moment.... I always go with them when they pop up :S

I had a dont poke the bear moment. Sorry :blush:

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #165162 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:Re: Forum Access Changes
I am absolutely overwhelmed by the responses...

I won't cover but a few..

@Steamboat - Not all members have mentors, nor feel they know clergy well enough...

Have you reached out to any?

@Brenna - could this have been handled differently? Yes.. Both better and worse...

@someone (Steamboat again?)

As (Khaos?) pointed out, how do we police these "troublemakers"?

Khaos and Gisteron have had action against them.. And others...

We take action? people bitch... We try moving forums, adjusting access? People bitch...

Too quick like Rickie's recent thread? Well, Rickie thinks he was prematurely picked on, you agree with the mod...

Khaos sees nothing wrong with his posts (before, he has been nothing but a gentleman since)

Someone posts links, says "other communities allow it", we don't allow? Complaints about us...

So, how to be fair? Khaos pointed out that if its me taking action, its my judgment that needs considered, where if its Wes, he may have a different level... Three strikes? Does Rickie's post about Gisteron count as his (Rickie's) first strike?

Cause everytime we try, 10 pages of people posting "how we (council, TOTJO, knights, mods) are unfair....

@someone else - self policing? Some troll comes in, or a guest engages another, people are quick to escalate the event... Feeling they are helping, and about page 3-4, "report to mods" emails start up, and crys for things to stop, begin...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Brenna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165163 by
Replied by on topic Forum Access Changes
Well this is a very sad decision.

Sad that so many members are struggling to deal with life's special people.
Sad that so many Guests get punished for the sins of a few.
Sad that this is the best action the majority of TOTJO Knights came up with.
And sad for me because I have to change my opinion from

"A great place for diverse conversations both positive and negative and Guests are free to join in. They are generally a pretty mature bunch so if finding the right words is a bit of a struggle don't stress no one will get to offended."

to

"It is a restrictive place. Guests are not really trusted and some of the membership is a bit fragile so watch your Ps and Qs.".

It will be interesting to see what steps the hierarchy takes in the days ahead to build up the coping strategies of their members. As for my suggested solution? Well I have been in a position to Handel life's special people and I did so with a timeout ban the duration of which multiplied with each offence. Even the most disruptive soon found that while it was a bit of a joke to start with is soon became serious.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165167 by
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time" -Abraham Lincoln

[Rant]
No matter what, people are going to, as Jestor put it, bitch. Like I said, I see nothing wrong with this. It has become a necessary thing. If the Council were to start banning all of the people that mainly cause it, the new response would be "they singled me out.", or " They are silencings the truth!", "I was banned before "....." Did not like me." Either way, people will complain.

To the people who are "bitching", you try running a high traffic forum for even a week and see how you like it. Its not fun, its a lot of hard work, and dedication, and I feel they do not get enough credit for all of the long hours they spend keeping The Temple running. Could it be better, or find another way to go about it? Possibly. As they said, the details are not fully ironed out. If it does not change, then that is probably the best thing to do in the current state of things.
[/rant]

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #165168 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Forum Access Changes
Perhaps for the moment we leave things as they are. I'm aware that the PMs are flowing thick and fast and it's clear that this is not an ideal solution. And there are obviously a number of other concerns around this to consider.

Perhaps we revert for the moment and go back to the drawing board.

And yes, I'm aware I'm not a knight and don't get a say in this. But in all honesty, this needs work.

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #165169 by

o the people who are "bitching", you try running a high traffic forum for even a week and see how you like it. Its not fun, its a lot of hard work, and dedication, and I feel they do not get enough credit for all of the long hours they spend keeping The Temple running.

You have made a grand assumption. I help run two. It's only hard work when run like this. We do not have closed forums, and only ban or punish I the most extreme of cases.

That has been few and far between and we have been open since 2006
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #165171 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Forum Access Changes

Khaos wrote:

o the people who are "bitching", you try running a high traffic forum for even a week and see how you like it. Its not fun, its a lot of hard work, and dedication, and I feel they do not get enough credit for all of the long hours they spend keeping The Temple running.

You have made a grand assumption. I help run two. It's only hard work when run like this. We do not have closed forums, and only ban or punish I the most extreme of cases.

Run like "this"? You mean with rules and manners? :) I jest

But, our forum I imagine is different. But the point about the hard work and hours put in is very valid. I've had two masters and a partner and friends on the council. I see first hand how much they put in. They put a LOT of time and effort in, often at the expense of important things in their lives, for no reward and very little thanks. But people are quick to judge, complain and bitch. Councillor does not mean miracle worker. And they can't give everyone what they want.

Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165172 by

Khaos wrote:

Where have I made an assumption? I never once said that no one here besides the Council has had experienced in any type of managerial occupation whether it be for monetary gain or for non profit. I personally my self have experience in both. This is why I know what they are going through. However, and yes this is probably an assumption: I am willing to bet not everybody here has had the experience at some point in time.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #165174 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Forum Access Changes

Revan Falton wrote: To the people who are "bitching", you try running a high traffic forum for even a week and see how you like it.

1. I did. It isn't easy, but it isn't hard unless you're doing it alone.
  2. I'm not "bitching". Not yet, at least. You'll know when I start.

The implication that barring people from posts they used to have access to is somehow easier than a safe, secure forum that can be contained for moderation is absolutely ludicrous.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165176 by

Brenna wrote:

Khaos wrote:

Run like "this"? You mean with rules and manners? :) I jest

But, our forum I imagine is different. But the point about the hard work and hours put in is very valid. I've had two masters and a partner and friends on the council. I see first hand how much they put in. They put a LOT of time and effort in, often at the expense of important things in their lives, for no reward and very little thanks. But people are quick to judge, complain and bitch. Councillor does not mean miracle worker. And they can't give everyone what they want.

You can imagine your forum is different all you like. The real difference is the lack of molly coddling.

In fact, I could argue that the problem lies in giving everyone what they want.

Is that not why this has come about?

There was a story of a man who, at lunch peanut butter and jelly everyday, and everyday he complained. When one of his co-workers said he should just ask his wife to make something different he stated he made his own lunch.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi