Your Ideal Temple - What dreams are made of

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177317 by
Thanks! It's a 12 hour drive for me. I could do that maybe once or twice a year for special occasions!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #177319 by
Assuming we were able to band together to purchase the camp, fix it up, and convert it to a Jediist monastery;

I can envision it now. Jedi living at the monastery, training their apprentices, actual live services broadcast over Skype or Livestream and recorded for posting on Youtube, forming a sports team or two for physical fitness and fun, it would be great.

The buildings across the street from the camp in the picture are also part of the property.

Edit:
There is also space available to start up a physical library. There are plenty of buildings that can be repurposed, and each cabin has its own bathroom. There are group showers as well, separated by gender, but I doubt those would be used as such again.

The two biggest problems aside of the structural repair needs, electrical, and plumbing would be graffiti removal and window replacement.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177320 by
The problem is that it would $500k just to find out whether it could be converted. The repairs would be on top of that. I'd be willing to bet it would about $1m before it's all said and done.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177324 by
Not to mention the actual purchase of the land, which is bigger than the entire Vatican City according to their old brochure (Camp Sussex is over 120 acres (48 hectares) while Vatican City measures 110 acres (44 hectares) according to Wikipedia). Hence the need to band together on the project, unless one or two of us is a lottery jackpot winner.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177325 by
If only we were one of those manipulative religions that take advantage of dumb money to fund expansion. lol

Sometimes it sucks taking the high path. hahah. :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177328 by
In my opinion all money is dumb money :P

More
9 years 3 months ago #177332 by OB1Shinobi
Right off the bat heres some logistics and particulars

how much does this place cost?
it doesnt matter if its in the millions
we just need to know

on that note lets be frank and up front about money
when the time comes we will need to trust some people wjth a lot of money so get thinking now of who you trust with a million dolloars and what ideas on the kind of system and safeguards we need so that theres as little opportunity as possible for anybody to take advantage

what do we have in terms of personel? Things have a way of developing momentum and what we start with will not be what we end up.with but for a senseof where we are right now

Who can commit to what in terms of time and effort?
once we have an idea of that we can move to

division of labour
who can do what?
who has organizational experience?

whos good at research?
we need to know how much the place costs but also who the current owners are and what can we learn about them?
why is this place still on the market after ten years?
is that normal?

who has experience buying land?

what about researching alternative locationz in the event this one doesntnwork out but we actually get something going?

who has experience in fundraising?
who's got bill gates phone number?

what kind of legal questions are we going tl have to face if any?

can anyone here get in touch with the film maker behind the upcomi g documentary?

It would be great if it were possible that when the credits roll we could seee something like "these awesome people need help building their temple so they can defeat the empire and protect the ewoks"
whatever

im bringing a lot of questions because we need all the creative juices flowing but the most important immediate thing is who is in and who is responsible for what? how much time can any of us realistically spend on this project in an average day? week?

who has skills knowledge or resources that they already know we will need?

who belives in magic?

People are complicated.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #177334 by Br. John
In the meantime there's the annual gatherings that began in 2002. This year there are two of them. June 2015 Colorado http://gatheredforcecommunity.com/index.php/eventcentral/upcoming-events/2015/colorado-2015 and August 2015 Indiana http://gatheredforcecommunity.com/index.php/eventcentral/upcoming-events/2015/indiana-2015 .

How many expect to attend? If not why not?

I'm not against a physical temple. I'm not against positive thinking. I agree that often it's those who attempt the ridiculous that end up achieving the miraculous. I'm also a bit realistic enough to look at the economics of a project and do some market research.

Do y'all see why this question is relevant?

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Br. John. Reason: Fixed link.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #177338 by OB1Shinobi
Doesnt matter if its a hundred million dollars
Well yeah thatd be tough but
if anybody is defeated by the thought that it may take 10 years to actualize this dream let me respond that once its been achieved the legacy could be ten thousand years of jedi training for all we know
theres no telling that in 1000 years jedi wont be almost exactly as we see them in the movies in terms of what they mean to people
i mean thats what im aiming for
Is to help build something thats going to outlast me

look at the history of the shaolin temples
Is that not virtually the exact same thing?

what a waste it would have been if all those centuries ago people had said "well its gonna take too long to build this thing so lets just not try"

but they did try
and because of thier efforts, and help from the emperor, cheesy voiceover actors - dragonballz fans and chi blast warriors of the world will forever be blessed with unbounded opportunity to entertain us at their own expense

What would have become of david carradein?
besides ehr you know, closet thing
LOOK
Had there been no kwai chang caine to protect us
there could have been no bill to kill

we would never have known how daniel san wax off or how bruce lee entered the dragon

all this and so much more because of shaiolin

i think its worth my life to be a part of building something that is still serving and benefiting people a thousand years after im gone
thats the kind of legacy befitting a skywalker
or a shinobi
or a ..... <-- hint: your name goes here ;-)

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177343 by

Br. John wrote: In the meantime there's the annual gatherings that began in 2002. This year there are two of them. June 2015 Colorado http://gatheredforcecommunity.com/index.php/eventcentral/upcoming-events/2015/colorado-2015 and August 2015 Indiana http://gatheredforcecommunity.com/index.php/eventcentral/upcoming-events/2015/colorado-2015 .

How many expect to attend? If not why not?

I'm not against a physical temple. I'm not against positive thinking. I agree that often it's those who attempt the ridiculous that end up achieving the miraculous. I'm also a bit realistic enough to look at the economics of a project and do some market research.

Do y'all see why this question is relevant?

Just a quick note, the Indiana Gathering link is incorrect (it just takes you to the Colorado Gathering page). You can find the Indiana Gathering 2015 here .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi