Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick

More
9 years 4 months ago #172472 by steamboat28

Brenna wrote: I wonder if there is such thing as against your will unless you are over powered physically or mentally forced or manipulated like with a mind trick where you might not be in control of your own thoughts.

Even when we give into coercion, peer pressure or encouragement, we've still made the choice to take that action.

Can a choice really be considered a choice if we aren't aware we have options?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172473 by
Replied by on topic Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick

steamboat28 wrote:

Brenna wrote: I wonder if there is such thing as against your will unless you are over powered physically or mentally forced or manipulated like with a mind trick where you might not be in control of your own thoughts.

Even when we give into coercion, peer pressure or encouragement, we've still made the choice to take that action.

I've always been of the opinion that we always have a choice, some options just have really bad consequences and thus aren't a good option to consider.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 4 months ago #172475 by Brenna

steamboat28 wrote:

Unaware of options?

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #172477 by

steamboat28 wrote:

A choice can not be made if you are not aware. Being subconscious is a form of awareness. But making choices unaware (if possible) does not count as choice.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172482 by
I skimmed the thread so I apologize if someone already brought this up, but it is called the Jedi mind trick, not Jedi mind control. As far as I know (I've only seen the movies so maybe someone has done this in the books or games), no Jedi has ever willed someone to do their bidding or something like that. Not to say a force user can't do that, but someone who has been properly trained as a Jedi doesn't do that. The trick is more of a suggestion or distraction. It's basically a more advanced version of the oldest trick in the book, "Ha! Madest thou look!" I love that commercial.

Anyway, I don't really see anything unethical about tricking someone like that. When Obi Wan told the Stormtrooper, "these aren't the droids you're looking for," he basically just lied to them convincingly. By that I mean that someone could have accomplished the same result by lying convincingly without the use of force powers and the trooper would've gone about his day. I think it becomes an ethical matter when someone uses the mind trick to get someone to do something bad like hurt someone else. If Obi Wan had said, "these aren't the droids you're looking for, now shoot your fellow stormtrooper," then I think there's a problem using it that way.

More
9 years 4 months ago #174492 by Hitira38
I think this would in fact be a power of the dark side of the force. However, a Jedi must do what is necessary.

HN

More
9 years 4 months ago #174493 by Hitira38
To me a dominate person is in fact a weak mind, as they have failed to control the triggers of their emotions.

HN

More
9 years 4 months ago #174494 by Hitira38
Implying the Jedi mind trick is a skillful one.

HN

More
9 years 4 months ago #174498 by Edan

Hitira38 wrote: I think this would in fact be a power of the dark side of the force. However, a Jedi must do what is necessary.

Is that really true though? Strength of mind can lie in many different aspects.. a weak mind suggests a mind that does not think for itself (to me anyway).

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #174511 by
I find in the end it depends on the results and intent. Its wrong to use manipulation for self interest or need to control if it harms another. If you do it for self interest and it harms none, its a grey area, neither good nor evil. But is it evil to manipulate another for self interest or need to dominate if it actually benefits the other? that's a tricky question.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi