Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick

More
9 years 4 months ago #172356 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick
Just reflecting on the OP, being a bit of a killjoy, but I would not want to use it to manipulate people to my own agenda BUT when confronted with 'evil' it would seem a valuable tool to deescalate conflict, or conflicted states of mind, so perhaps a tool of calming and therefore a healing power?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #172363 by steamboat28

Adder wrote: Just reflecting on the OP, being a bit of a killjoy, but I would not want to use it to manipulate people to my own agenda BUT when confronted with 'evil' it would seem a valuable tool to deescalate conflict, or conflicted states of mind, so perhaps a tool of calming and therefore a healing power?

But isn't "fighting evil" your "agenda" in that instance, and therefore, isn't it still a bit twisted?
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 4 months ago #172366 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick

steamboat28 wrote:

Adder wrote: Just reflecting on the OP, being a bit of a killjoy, but I would not want to use it to manipulate people to my own agenda BUT when confronted with 'evil' it would seem a valuable tool to deescalate conflict, or conflicted states of mind, so perhaps a tool of calming and therefore a healing power?

But isn't "fighting evil" your "agenda" in that instance, and therefore, isn't it still a bit twisted?

It's not as broad as to 'fight' it, but I get what you mean. I'm thinking more of time dilation, where its not so much changing the persons perspective or thoughts, but rather proverbially 'taking the pain' away by drawing away the emotional process leading to the evil so their own rational mind can have some room to arrest their slide into the dark side
:lol:
If they are irrational after all that, then its a case of they are more twisted then me so why the heck not - I don't view evil as being open to subjective intepretation so I'm ok with it!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172435 by
Replied by on topic Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick
The "Jedi Mind trick", to me is a "dark power", surprising for the fiction to make it a Jedi ability and not a Sith ability.

But it is a matter of intent or perspective. De-escalation of conflict could be a good thing. but if you ran into an alley to prevent an theft/assault/mugging, and the assaulter waved their hand at you and said "there is nothing to see here" and you walk away. The conflict was de-escalated but not necessarily in a good way.

If you become aware that you have been compelled or tricked by someone would you not get upset by it? The perspective most take is assuming they are not the weak willed one in the scenario. But good and nice people are usually the victim in most situations. They are naïve or too trusting and taken advantage of.

This topic can seriously get me side tracked because, leadership, manipulation, charisma, friendships are all branches off this topic about getting people to do things they would not normally do. It just depends on how extreme the levels become.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172436 by

Karn wrote: The "Jedi Mind trick", to me is a "dark power", surprising for the fiction to make it a Jedi ability and not a Sith ability.

But it is a matter of intent or perspective. De-escalation of conflict could be a good thing. but if you ran into an alley to prevent an theft/assault/mugging, and the assaulter waved their hand at you and said "there is nothing to see here" and you walk away. The conflict was de-escalated but not necessarily in a good way.

If you become aware that you have been compelled or tricked by someone would you not get upset by it? The perspective most take is assuming they are not the weak willed one in the scenario. But good and nice people are usually the victim in most situations. They are naïve or too trusting and taken advantage of.

This topic can seriously get me side tracked because, leadership, manipulation, charisma, friendships are all branches off this topic about getting people to do things they would not normally do. It just depends on how extreme the levels become.

The A and the B are both ''different'', but both are on the block. The A, B and C are ''different letters'' but all of them are part of the alphabet.

Just as darkness and light, you cannot understand light if you have only light. You need darkness to understand that light is different than darkness, so I wonder, how dark is the Jedi mind trick realy?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172438 by

Aqua wrote: ...so I wonder, how dark is the Jedi mind trick realy?

I think that depends on if you believe in free will (which we already have another thread about). If you do, then the Jedi mind trick can be seen as striping that same freedom away from another person. That's the part that I take issue with. There are situations where I can see the benefits, but do the ends justify the means?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172442 by
Depending, I do not like to force people :blush:

But other people will, and if they do, it is a lesson they have to learn, if you believe in ''coming to earth to learn lessons theory''. This is partly explained in the Michael teachings, I disagree with most points however. And secondly there is the ancient Maya calendars system

If people would like to read a global understanding of it, I can write some pages about the maya awareness system have some books at texts about it so should be able to explain it If people would like to know :)

http://www.michaelteachings.com/soul_age_index.html

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172455 by

Aqua wrote: http://www.michaelteachings.com/soul_age_index.html

Are you Michael?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172457 by
The "Jedi Mind Trick" does exist in reality. Sure, it may not look like the wave of a hand and a mumbled command that it is in the fiction, but the ability to manipulate the thoughts and actions of others is very real.

As someone who works in the mass communications business that is mostly supported by commercial advertising, I can tell you that huge amounts of time, effort, and money are spent discovering how to get people to do things whether they are conscious of it or not. We've all heard of subliminal advertising, but it goes beyond that. Certain colors, sounds, and smells are more effective at creating a specific mood than others. The volume, tone, and cadence of one's speech will have different effects on the listener with some combinations being more persuasive and others being very easy to ignore. Body language can subconsciously influence the behavior and decisions of others. Even something as simple as direct eye contact can influence someone to act a certain way.

Advertisers use these tactics to compel people to buy their products. An entire industry was built beginning in the 1940's on Madison Ave in New York City specifically to do this (the subject of the TV series 'Mad Men'). Sales people use these tactics to compel people to purchase from them. Politicians use these tactics to solicit your vote and clergy use these strategies to encourage belief and specific behaviors. Some do it purposely through training while it comes naturally to others. Think of the most persuasive speakers you have heard and ask yourself what makes them different from others.

Why were Adolf Hitler's "Jedi Mind Tricks" so effective on the German populace, but not on the rest of the world? Some would argue that it is because they wanted to be persuaded. Another explanation could be that Hitler recognized a vulnerability in the collective psyche of Germans at the time that made them more susceptible to his brand of persuasion. Either way, both sender and receiver have to participate in the communication.

Is it ethical to use these strategies/tactics of persuasion? Absolutely, and I will try to defend this position. These strategies and tactics can be learned. They have been studied. There is a mountain of research concerning the art of persuasion and it is readily available to anyone who looks for it. There are classes you can take to learn how to be persuasive and also how to recognize persuasive tactics being used by others. Whether you are naturally tuned in to these subtle manipulations or not, you can be taught them.

Law enforcement uses them to coerce confessions or to determine if a suspect is lying. A criminal can just as easily learn how to counteract these measures. Is either or both acting ethically? I guess it depends on who is better at convincing others who is 'right'.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #172465 by

Rickie The Grey wrote:

Aqua wrote: http://www.michaelteachings.com/soul_age_index.html

Are you Michael?

I am not part of 'Michael'. But I can guarantee that I have much understanding of how ancient Maya calendars work. I have read a lot about the Michael teachings to, but as I told, I can not agree with a number of things, but globally it looks like the Maya calendar in extreme way.. Even the architecture of the ancient Maya have understandings that can be compared with the Michael teachings.

About the mind trick, what purpose would it serve if it would exist.. Would people see it as a tool or a weapon? Could it do as much damage if it was designed as tool? I like how things are, to see mind trick become real would be a leap of faith. (speculating)
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi