Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172272 by
So you all know, this is not a discussion of the ethics of the Jedi mind trick as it pertains to the fiction. This is going to be a theoritical ethical discussion of our world.

Now, assuming that our world was exactly the same as it was now with the single exception that we could use the "Jedi Mind Trick" to influence the "weak minded" would we do it?

The main thing I see here is that performing the trick is usually done to manipulate another person so you can get your way, which is selfish and decietful.

The only times that I see it being used where I wouldn't feel bad about it is in action/adventure movie type scenarios. Or if I were doing something similar to a hypnotist show and people agreed to have it done to them for the enjoyment of others. :laugh:

Thoughts? Examples of situatutions in which you would use it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172273 by
Replied by on topic Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick
The Jedi of the Fiction were an extension of the Force's will (or, at least they were supposed to be). So, when they used the Jedi Mind Trick, it was not an unnatural thing. It was simply the Will of the Force. Take Obi-Wan with the guard at Mos Eisley. He knows if he causes a scene, he will not be able to get to a pilot and get off the planet. I mean, they cut it close as it is, right? But, had they been captured there, or had they had to wait.. they might not have made it to the Death Star in time to save anybody. I mean, they already missed the destruction of Alderaan. !!

If you did it to be selfish, to get your way? Yeah, that's no good. But, if you somehow can find the Will of the Force within you, and you use it for the greater good, then ethics go by the wayside in terms of the Fiction. The Jedi lied all of the time to fit this rule.

When would I use it? I would only go about tricking somebody if they wanted me to (to show them), in situations where it would save my life or somebody else's life, in situations where the greater good required it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172276 by
The strong minded have always been able to influence the weak minded. Force or no force, real or fiction is about the ethical use and abuse of power. The answere will be the same...it depends.

Ying Yang baby! It's all about the Ying and the Yang. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #172278 by
the use of the mind trick is actually a mute point as it points to a bigger and broader issue. the use of power, or not the use of power. Now if we had only the issue with the mind trick. i do agree, with previous posters. it would depend solely on the situation at hand. lets take a warlord, mind tricking him would be fine, in and of its self. the big question is, mind trick him to do what? step down as a warlord? or have him kill himself. would the atrocities he commited actually bring good karma to the user of the mind trick?
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

More
9 years 4 months ago #172288 by steamboat28
I politely decline to interact with this thread on the grounds that I am guaranteed to incriminate myself. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172289 by

steamboat28 wrote: I politely decline to interact with this thread on the grounds that I am guaranteed to incriminate myself. :)

Does the fifth amendment cover internet forums? :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #172292 by

steamboat28 wrote: I politely decline to interact with this thread on the grounds that I am guaranteed to incriminate myself. :)

O come on. It will be fun. :)

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #172306 by steamboat28
okayokayokay.

In the fiction, it's worth noting that Jedi "ethics" are not typical ethical concerns. They were right jerks a full 98% of the time. They had no problem with lying or misdirection or the use of force (and Force) to coerce people into their "peaceful" suggestions. If you really want to get down to the meat of it, if you look at the film canon, the cartoons, the EU, whatever you want--we paint the Empire as bad guys consistently, but the Jedi Order is what happens if you give Taoist triads mind control and laser swords.

In reality, fictional Jedi don't get called on being complete free-will-erasing horkbarges because there is very little argument that it is effective. Many times manipulation is the most peaceful path to an end, whether or not it's honest or "ethically sound." Sometimes the more "ethical" way is the way that results in more conflict, more violence, more anger--so must we use it consistently? Do we choose peace over honesty? Fairness over non-violence?
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz, , ,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #172309 by
I do find it interesting how a thread about forcing people to do stuff against their will resulted in talking someone into posting when they said they didn't want to.

No offense intended Rickie. I'm not saying you did anything wrong. I just find it interesting given the thread topic.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 4 months ago #172315 by Brenna

Goken wrote: I do find it interesting how a thread about forcing people to do stuff against their will resulted in talking someone into posting when they said they didn't want to.

No offense intended Rickie. I'm not saying you did anything wrong. I just find it interesting given the thread topic.

potentially opening up a can of worms but,

I wonder if there is such thing as against your will unless you are over powered physically or mentally forced or manipulated like with a mind trick where you might not be in control of your own thoughts.

Even when we give into coercion, peer pressure or encouragement, we've still made the choice to take that action.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi