Animal Totem/Spirit Animal exercises

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
15 Aug 2012 13:26 #70361 by ren
What purpose do those totems serve?
I know in some african traditions they define lineage (you inherit your father's totem), and because people can't marry if they have the same totem, it prevents inbreeding. They're just like a last name really.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2012 13:38 - 15 Aug 2012 13:43 #70362 by Wescli Wardest
ren,

In some cultures they serve as a “spiritual” guide of sorts and in some they are almost like a “guardian angel.” There are a few cultures where the “totem spirit” serves as a kind of guide to the soul or a reference map for others to observe.

I think that it really depends on what the individual sees the spirit as and in which context or cultural reference they are associating it to.

Here is a link to a page which tells one of the views of them... Spirit Totems

Monastic Order of Knights
Last edit: 15 Aug 2012 13:43 by Wescli Wardest. Reason: Add a link
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
15 Aug 2012 13:45 #70363 by ren
Well I knew the animal guide from Star Trek (I suspect it's accurate native-american folk belief?), I'm asking what people are talking about right now because apparently there's a difference between totem animal and spirit animal?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
15 Aug 2012 13:54 #70366 by Wescli Wardest
Believe it or not… I actually found a site which has a pretty decent answer to your question!

A "Spirit Animal" is the one who will present life's lessons. The Spirit Animal is the one who comes to you in order to show you, through its own unique nature and skills, how to deal with the manifestations of your Spiritual Journey. Spirit Animals do not necessarily guide you, but they come to teach you that which you need to learn, in order to know how meet the challenges of your Spirit Walk.

A "Totem Animal" is an animal spirit that you call upon or invoke, as an individual or a tribe, for its special powers and survival skills, to serve as a guardian or protector when facing adversity

But I would suggest that people read the whole article on the site! Here is the link to it…
Spirit Walk Ministry

Monastic Order of Knights

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2012 14:17 #70372 by

Mark Anjuu wrote: I work a lot with animal guides and helping people to find them. I'm happy to send you an audio file of a guided journey if you think it would help.

That would be fantastic, Mark. Thank you. I've already got an idea of my totems but the animal guide is what I really wanted to discover from the beginning.

Wescli Wardest wrote: My "animal Totem" was given me by a Sioux Chieftain once I passed the gauntlet. And this knowledge was afforded him by the tribal Shaman or medicine-man. It is a long story...

That sounds like one hell of a story you have there, Wescli.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
15 Aug 2012 15:28 #70375 by Jestor

Williamkaede wrote:

Wescli Wardest wrote: My "animal Totem" was given me by a Sioux Chieftain once I passed the gauntlet. And this knowledge was afforded him by the tribal Shaman or medicine-man. It is a long story...

That sounds like one hell of a story you have there, Wescli.

If you feel like sharing it, maybe a journal entry?

;)

Anyway, Ive never felt I needed one, but I must admit, there are certain animals I have found I like... And at times, I think of the qualities of these animals...

I work a lot with animal guides and helping people to find them. I'm happy to send you an audio file of a guided journey if you think it would help.

Gm Mark, would you also send me those files?

MAybe I have one and dont even realize it... lol..

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2012 22:30 #70405 by
OK, if anyone wants the file (and also to hear my voice again! lol), it can be downloaded here: http://www.markbarwell.co.uk/extras/spirit_animal_journey.mp3

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2012 14:45 #70457 by
I just did this exercise. Wow.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
16 Aug 2012 15:11 #70458 by Jestor

Williamkaede wrote: I just did this exercise. Wow.

What? No results? lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2012 22:23 #70504 by
No solid ones. Too many distractions. But when my mind snapped out of the distraction and re-focused I saw a grey fox. As I went further into the meditation it blurred and I'm not sure if I saw a wolf or a fox.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi