Physical Temples

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 3 months ago #91174 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Physical Temples

Jabi Musah wrote: I can't believe I never thought of that! :blush: The server IS a physical temple for our online Jedi collaboration. So, add that to the list of temple types huh? :lol:

Can someone please explain how this site is currently hosting this site? What are all the parts that go into keeping this site up and running?

And can someone please also list what options there are as alternatives to this current method. For example, if we are renting server space and time, what would it cost to purchase our own server and staff it? Would there be any way to collaborate with some (if not all) of the other Jedi sites to see if they want in the purchase and/or usage? Basically creating a non-denominational internet temple for Jedi.

Just an idea. What do you all think?

Peace,
Matt

We have a dedicated server with 100mbps connection, plenty of nuclear power to feed it and cool it, 3.1Ghz core i5, 16gigs ram, 2TB disk. Everything is on this one machine, we don't use NAS or cloud stuff.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #91208 by
Replied by on topic Re: Physical Temples
So by dedicated, does that mean someone owns it? And what types of costs are associated with it? Does that setup handle traffic of the sight well or does it get pushed at times?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #91215 by
I wanted to make some comments about the retreat center temple.

This one seems like it could be easily put together like a business plan. It would be a business by offering, wait for it..., retreats to the public. They would include a variety of classes like daily yoga, meditation, tai chi and/or other martial arts and physical fitness development. Meals would be provided and the lodging would be simple and conducive to developing inner knowledge. i.e. not a lot of distractions. There could also be one on one sessions with a guidance councilor to help direct their inner searching.

The grounds would have places for quiet natural meditation and lots of trails for walking contemplation and running. Also, since it is a well established place, on site gardens for food including fruit trees can be tended to to help supply the majority, if not all, the food for guests and employees.

The number and type of classes do not need to be limited to what I listed above. Other options could include archery, survival skills or even extra-sensory development like blindfolded meditation or padded walking obstacle course (I'm sure someone can come up with better ideas for this area)

It would also be nice to have a few types of common areas for discussion or games like ping-pong or pool. Even on a developmental retreat, time to defrag is important.

It would also be nice to make a place to swim. Even if it's just a simple concrete three lane lap pool that's unchlorinated but rather cleaned by some other more natural means.

I'm sure others would have some good ideas to add to this.

The main thing I'm getting at is that this could be a "business". And with a well put together business "plan", getting an investor (even if it's a bank) would be relatively easy.

And with that, if we do not have a Jedi specifically to teach Aikido but that's what we want to offer, I'm sure we could hire one to come out there for certain times. Same goes for a licensed psychotherapist if that's what we want to advertise we offer. However on a side note, I don't see why we couldn't interview and select a Jedi with skills in that area to be that guidance councilor.

Some other points that have come to mind... For physical fitness, have a diagnostic fitness test at the beginning of a group coming out there. Then break them up into ability groups and have one instructor per group to work with them. Also, on that note, have specific dates and available openings for people to sign up for. That way we are always working within our means and are prepared with classes for that many durring the course dates. Also with this we can have different types of course, some more focused on meditation, some on martial arts, and possibly offer more 'open' courses that would be similar to an independent study program where they can participate in available classes as they choose. There could also be a Jedi specific work study program where after someone applies and gets accepted, they can come live and help out at the temple while they work on their own development. Both these last two I think should include weekly or biweekly checks with a mentor to make sure they aren't getting too off track and to make the decision, if ever necessary, they should leave.

More class ideas:
- Basic Life Saver (CPR) w/ American Red Cross certification
- First Aid w/ American Red Cross certification
- World religions class
- Interpersonal skills and Diffusing conflicts
- Emergency Self Defense
- Reiki

Lastly, at first thought I imagine this place being far enough from a major city to keep people from thinking they can just go back and forth from town in the evenings or weekends. But not be so far away that if they did decide they needed to leave, they aren't stuck so far out in the middle of no where they can't make it back to civilization without chartering a plane.

For a real life example see; www.mro.org and www.odiyan.org
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #91223 by
The PRIMARY problem I see here is: insurance. With all the physical activity, the insurance cost (to the individual and / or the Tojo at large) would be high. It's a liability no matter what (this kinda of project or any other involving physical training).

The only other issue is see is: opening it total to the public "commercializes" us, which in turn, will make people not take us as seriously. ("I already thought those Jedi were weird, but now I 'KNOW' they're just for the money!" Can't you hear it in your mind's ear yet?)

I have no good answer to that one.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #91237 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Physical Temples
Rates might be another cost? NPO's can take money for payment of services, it's just it cannot be for profit and must go into service delivery AFAIK (including even paying staff). Otherwise, if we wanted large donations we'd need some serious positive community programs in place as business only donates big money to organizations that help their own public image (usually).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Adder.

More
11 years 3 months ago #91239 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Re: Physical Temples
A good start would be to have a moderator merge all the "physical temple" threads into one and have someone summarize it for newcomers.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

More
11 years 3 months ago #91248 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re: Physical Temples
Several people with moderator/admin powers have posted here and decided to leave it be...

I was tempted to merge it initially, and I don't believe that people should start new threads about something if they know perfectly well that there are already other threads about it, but as it's here now, it might as well stay and serve as a way that people can comment on the subject without having to trawl through hundreds of pages of years old posts.

There's little point summing everything up for newcomers because there's nothing to say. The only way you could sum it up would by saying:

"Some people like to fantasise that we're going to have a real, physical Temple. We're not, and we don't need one. If you wish to partake in the discussion, please don't fall into the trap of thinking that suggestions that you offer will make any difference to that fact".

B.Div | OCP

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #91250 by

jimcode3 wrote: [color=#4400bbThe only other issue is see is: opening it total to the public "commercializes" us, which in turn, will make people not take us as seriously. ("I already thought those Jedi were weird, but now I 'KNOW' they're just for the money!" Can't you hear it in your mind's ear yet?)[/color]

Incorrect
http://www.mro.org/zmm/

You can sell stuff and still not be an evil corporation. You can provide services that cost money and not be a destructive cult...

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 3 months ago #91254 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Physical Temples

"Some people like to fantasise that we're going to have a real, physical Temple. We're not, and we don't need one. If you wish to partake in the discussion, please don't fall into the trap of thinking that suggestions that you offer will make any difference to that fact".

There's always a chance....

I would be interested to see, how far those who wish to discuss this, can go without someone saying its not necessary...

Talkng can only go so far, and once every nail is planned, every brushstroke is imagined, then, someone has to grab the hammer and nail...

:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #91264 by
Some of the greatest marvels created by man started out as nothing more than an idea and words on paper. Never say Never, and if per chance someone, or a group of individuals decided to take the next step and start building, where better to get ideas than from the input from members provided here in the form of "positive" feedback...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi